single bevel broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Easy Money

single bevel broadheads

Post by Easy Money »

After reading boo's thread about the dirtnap broadhead I started searching the web for other single bevel heads. it seems their is a great advantage in the wound channel a single bevel head makes compared to a standard double bevel. Just wondering why they are only popular with traditional archery? Do they plane too much in faster bows? If so why not put them in a mechanical head? Are we overlooking something so simple and so great or is their some downside that has kept this style head off the popular list?
God bless America and the farmer that feeds your fat ass
matrix 380 extra
triggertech single stage
Rooster string by Dan
Boo string with wiskers
paulaboutform

Re: single bevel broadheads

Post by paulaboutform »

The Toxic Broadheads are single bevel edged. That's more so they don't collapse inward if going through bone. They'll only open outward. I've tested them out to 65yards with pinpoint accuracy.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Aerodynamically a single bevel will create a rotating force one one side of the blade.No idea if this is at all a factor tho.

F
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Spect it will take some Engineer to explain the reasons fer it. Toxic does have singl bevel but its not sharp & its on a circle curve lots of resistance. The swhacker has single bevel & i jus picked one up out of the pack. The 1" wing blades are dull as a case knife!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Significent

Post by Significent »

Yup, and the bevel on the Swhackers opposes the spin of regular right-hand vanes.
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm Shotgun
18" Black Eagle Executioners
Swhacker Crossbow 100gr (see avatar)
GTFG Lumenoks
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Significent wrote:Yup, and the bevel on the Swhackers opposes the spin of regular right-hand vanes.
If'en thats so then every BH that has any part of blades exposed does also. Actually the bevel on the swhacker 2" is on the right side as it should be as the arrow spins to the right. The Toxic bevel goes each way so i reckon its jus confused :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Now i ain't no Engineer so things i say maybe construed as jus so much BS or as an opinion wid no fact to its back. All i have ever done is shoot n watch & try to shoot n try to do better in all of my piddlin wid these arrowsn BH's. Spect i may have a pinch or two of common sense after yrs of practice
Half Bubble Off BD360

Significent

Post by Significent »

Looking down the shaft toward the broadhead, the Swhacker 1.75" crossbow model has the bevel on the left. (just the opposite of what's shown in my avatar)
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm Shotgun
18" Black Eagle Executioners
Swhacker Crossbow 100gr (see avatar)
GTFG Lumenoks
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Significent wrote:Looking down the shaft toward the broadhead, the Swhacker 1.75" crossbow model has the bevel on the left. (just the opposite of what's shown in my avatar)
:) Isee, lookdown my arrow from the back the bevel is on the right on the 2" 100gr model
Half Bubble Off BD360

Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I have spent considerable time helping and field testing single bevel broad heads for dangerous game hunting. Read the good Dr. Ed's files (search Ed Ashby) if you want to truly understand the benefits of the single bevel design and the science behind it. No one has spent the time and energy that Ed has in this area. I have met and discussed this with Ed at great lengths.

It is my opinion that there is not a mechanical head on earth that is strong enough to benefit from the advantages of single bevel design. The whole idea is to impart enough spin on impact of hard bone that the twisting/rotating action opens up the bone to a greater degree to allow the penetration of the broad head and shaft. I have ruined thousands of dollars worth of these heads testing them from 75 to 85# longbows with 800 to 1200 grain arrows. The kinetic energy from one of these heavy head/shafts is very close to that of the heavy crossbows. If one was to consider a crossbow and a heavy single bevel head then the best heads to use would be the Tuff Heads, STOS or VPA. All of these heads are traditional style and come in either single bevel (left or right bevel) and double bevel. I have tried these heads out of my 380 Matrix but due to size I would not use them beyond 30 yards as planning becomes an issue.

All of my testing was done using heavy bones from bison and moose. I would be willing to say there is no mechanical head on earth that would survive my basic first test of scapula penetration. I bet my 380 any day that none would survive the bison leg bone test. All of the above heads mentioned faired well and are top notch heads. Unless you are going after big stuff single bevel is not required for deer sized game. My choice for best broad head for big game out of 380 or 405 would be the German Kenetics Silver Flame which is not a single bevel head. One needs to make sure you get the real Silver Flames from Marcus in Germany. The Alaskan Bowhunting version is cheaply made in China version not the real deal.
Easy Money

Post by Easy Money »

Is the entire blade a single bevel or just the small blade that opens the swacker? I know the toxic broadhead is a single bevel but I'm talking about straight blade. When a straight blade single bevel enters a game animal it rotates causing a spiral wound channel dr Ashby has a video on YouTube explaining this and the results appear impressive even the navy seals carry a single bevel knife for the very same reason. Just wondering if anyone had experience with single bevel heads and their thoughts on performance
matrix 380 extra
triggertech single stage
Rooster string by Dan
Boo string with wiskers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I jus looked at my 2" swackers & the wing blades are single bevel on one side, but when you put it on arrow. The top is beveled on right side the bottom will be on the left. Ain't this a kick in the head.
Last edited by vixenmaster on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Seriously how many of us will go out to actually hunt Bison & other critters. Then how many will shoot the leg bone. I will punch a nice hole thru them lungs! Toxic-Swacker & many more are fer deer sized game.
Half Bubble Off BD360

Easy Money

Post by Easy Money »

I'm more interested in a broadhead for use on hogs planning a trip to Texas next February with a friend of mine. He was down this past February with a 44mag and said he might as well have been using a water pistol on them :lol: . I think my rage broadheads might be a bad choice for such a tough critter and the single bevel looks tempting to try just didn't want to buy em and not like em. In shure I'm over thinking this but thought it would make for interesting conversation
matrix 380 extra
triggertech single stage
Rooster string by Dan
Boo string with wiskers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Fixed blades, Stingers & Strikers. Mech. NAP Spitfire if'en youhave enuff arrow weight. Boo shot thru 2 Boars hogs wid a Striker. I have killed them wid Spitfires. Aim low jus below the sheild, great heart n lung shot
Half Bubble Off BD360