Transition - Firearm to crossbow Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gator

Transition - Firearm to crossbow Questions

Post by gator »

Several years since I hunted and am now 66, somewhat arthritic and grouchy. I have an opportunity to bow hunt with my sons and can use a crossbow (South Carolina - Whitetails). I have always hunted with either a pistol (.44mag) or rifle (.44 or 30-30) (never buckshot) and always turned down shots that were not killing shots, usually in head or neck - too hard to lose a wounded deer and philosophically, when I kill an animal, I want it to be as quick and humane as I can manage. I use iron sights or a peep sight - no scopes. I have an old Barnett Commando that I'll probably use this season, equipped with a red dot scope - the closest thing to a scope I will consider.
I like the idea of a recurve and have pretty well settled on the Excalibur but confused about what model. Initially I thought about the ExoMag under the impression that would give me the best chance of delivering an immediately killing "drop where they stand" shot. After reading a number of posts, I think my ideas might be somewhat flawed. I would also appreciate any thoughts about the cranking device as opposed to the handled cocking device.
We will hunt on about 400 acres pines/hardwoods. Largest deer probably 150 pounds on a good day.
It may be that what I want is completely outside the bounds of using a crossbow. In any event, I would appreciate your comments.
Leo in Ga

Post by Leo in Ga »

Gator, welcome to the forum, I am very close to your age and have really enjoyed my crossbow. :D

I chose the exomag and love it, but I really would would have been just as satisfied with an exocet and our type hunting is probably very similar. :)

I got the crankaroo and the rope cocker, and have only used the crankaroo to test it and have had no problem using the rope cocker at all. :)

Few if any bow shot deer are gonna "drop where they stand", IMO

Remember that a bow is a short range hunting weapon and although the Excals can be very accurate at ranges of 50 yds, most bowhunters would not consider a shot at that range.

I hope this has helped answer some of your questions :D, and again welcome to the forum :)

leo
Last edited by Leo in Ga on Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digger

Post by Digger »

A rope cocking aid device will cut the draw weight in half, a cranking devise such as the Excalibur Crankeroo or the Ten Point ACUdraw will cut the draw weight down to betweren 5 and 10 pounds.
A rope cocking aid will cost about $20 the crankeroo is $110 and the ACUdraw will cost about $275 or more.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

A crossbow is more like a compound bow than a rifle. People look at them and see the gun looking stock and sometimes assume that they are like rifles, but it just isn't the case when you use them. The same rules for bowhunting apply to crossbow hunting.

The most humane arrow kill with any bow is through both lungs with a very sharp cutting broadhead. Arrows kill by hemorage. Any model from Excalibur will very easily kill a deer. The stronger crossbows will give you slightly better, flatter trajectory and will get there faster possibly giving you a better shot. All the Excaliburs will give you complete pass-throughs on chest shot deer.

Think camoflage, close up and personal in a tree stand or ground blind.
You will need to learn how to judge distances ( a trick is to put up different colored markers to mark your yardages from your stand or use a laser range finder). Your 20, 30, 40 yard shots each require their own aiming point. Any branches or tall grass will deflect your arrows dramatically and need to be cleared away before hand.

If you are in good shape the Exomag with a rope cocker will do you good. Otherwise, a Vixen or Exocet will do the trick just fine and will have a shorter cocking stroke and lighter poundage to pull.

...keep your shots with your commando down to 20 yards. It just doesn't have the speed, power, or accuracy to shoot any further.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

None of the Excalibur crossbow or any crossbow or vertical bow will drop them where they stand, unless they are hit in the spine. However this is not the target one should intentionally seek when using archery gear. As Woodsman said, the lungs are the biggest and best target to shoot for.

In addition any of the Excalibur hunting line will work for your intended target species, deer. If you thin you may have difficulty with the heavier draw weights, the vixen might be an ideal choice.
striper

Post by striper »

Gator: I am 68, closing in on 69, and I hunt with an Exocet. I have just bought a Vixen for my wife. Actually, it is for me but I told her it is for her :D . I think that any of the Exocet are suitable for any whitetail deer. The Vixen is more compact in size and does not require as much effort to cock as the heavier models. Even as I say this, I have no problem cocking the Exocet. Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

Gator,

if you are Chuck - I just sent you an email.

I recommended the Exocet in the email.

Mikey Vee
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Gator, one thing i can add to the advice is how tall you are, a 6 foot tall
person with the rope cocker can cock the 200 lb. exomag easier than a
5 ft. person can cock the 150 lb. vixen. From reading the forum I've figured most members around 5ft. 5 can cock the vixen and exocet easily and around 5 ft. 7 and above can cock the exomag. If you are the right
height all you have to do with the rope cocker is stand up, when you stand up and you still like a couple inches it is rough.
If you are short and want to shoot the mag or max better get the crank.
James
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

yo.....
nothing but the exomag for me. i like the speed & power it adds.
Deadeye
Blood make's the grass grow, Owh-ay!
skeeter

Post by skeeter »

Go with the Vixen Gator.Your arthritic body will thank you.If you are hunting whitetail,the vixen will do everything the higher poundage bows will do with a well placed shot.Just remember ,you are bow hunting not gun hunting.There's a huge difference. :!: