re-serving bow strings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gator

re-serving bow strings

Post by gator »

There was a comment somewhere on the forum about re-serving bowstrings, i.e., send them to _______________ and they'll re-serve them. I have two that are pretty well chewed up due to burrs on the release mechanism. I think I've removed the burrs but the strings can't be reused until the serving has been renewed. Is this worthwhile from a cost standpoint? If so, can anyone tell me where to send them and how much (approximately) it costs?
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

do burrs really accumulate on the the trigger mechanism? if so and how?
Leo in Ga

Post by Leo in Ga »

gator, I had a string re-served by the local bow shop, the cost was @ 2/3's the cost of a new one from the Nook. While they did a good job the serving wasn't exactly what I wanted. Now when I make my orders to the Nook I just add a couple of strings to the order. The cost of new servings are not prohibitive, IMO :)

STEELWORKER, I would think that once you smooth up the "hook" if necessary at all, you would not have to do it again unless it was damaged in some way, I would also think that the sharp edges on the arrow inserts do most of the damage to the serving :D

leo
Vladymere

String re-serving

Post by Vladymere »

I had asked about this previously.

BJ (Wayne Jones) had suggested that I wait until I had two strings to be served and send them to him at his Archerey Plus shop where for a small fee he would re-serve them.

Wayne convinced me that without the proper equipment it is not possible to provide enough tension on the string and serving thread to do the job properly. Apparently to re-serve a cross bow string properly it needs a significant amount of tension on both the thread and the string, more so than on vertical bow components.

Vlad
wabi

Post by wabi »

gator,
I sent you an email.
Not hard to re-serve, but the serving tool and good serving will take an initial investment of around $50. A cheap tool and cheap serving can be had for much less, but unless you enjoy being frustrated it's not worth it!
I have the tools & material, as I used to build several strings a year when I was shooting longbows. And I don't even need to know if you shoot right or left handed to serve a crossbow string! :lol:
wabi

Post by Guest »

Re-serving a bow string is about as difficult as tying a proper fishing knot.
You can purchase a tension spooler at any good archery shop.
However, if you have moderate manual dexterity, you don't need the serving tool.
You simply apply pressure by hand as you are winding the serving material around the bow string.
As far as starting/finishing the serve, just lay a 2" piece of wire (coat hanger) material on top of the bow string and start wrapping serving material around it and the bow string..... about 15 wraps.
Once you have the wraps, pull out the wire and pull the tag end of the serving through the wraps.
Pull it tight and melt/glue the end of serving you pulled through.
Continue serving the bow string for about 5", once you have those wraps done, add the 2" piece of wire as above and repeat.

Like anything else, it takes some practice.....just like that first fishing knot!

Use FAST FLIGHT SERVING MATERIAL. It comes in 50 yard spools

Good luck

AIROHS

Post by AIROHS »

Honestly like the guys above are stating learn to serve your own string it is both easy and satisfying. I used to teach all the new members at our bow club and in 10 yrs there was not one person that could not learn how to do it.Imagine being on a hunt way back in somewhere and the serving unravels just reach in your day pack for your little serving tool and do the repair, no taking the string off and taking the chance of sight setting's being off because you changed your brace height. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing when the critter of a lifetime steps out in front of you and you dont have to worry if you indeed changed your point of impact.Not to mention the fact that its one more thing "YOU" did on your own towards harvesting your game.
GOOD HUNTING.
EXOMAXXED and LOVING it
gator

Question about serving

Post by gator »

I've ordered the material and a serving tool and hope to learn to the do the job myself but the old Commando is pretty hard on servings and there seems no way to adjust the way the string rides on the top plate. In looking at this, I wonder if there's not some substitute that could be used to protect the serving - thinking primarily of heat shrink tubing or something similar. Probably a bonehead idea but thought I'd ask you pros about it.
I think we only have one bow shop here and they're overloaded. My son sent arrows to be refletched 2 years ago and hasn't gotten them back yet.
Yes, I'm gonna buy an Excalibur but I've got to get a damage suit settled with FedEx before I can buy another bow. Until then, I'm having to make do with the old Barnett.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Can somebody post a pic of this reserving tool for me. Thanks.
:wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Some from Cabelas.

Digger

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity

Post by Guest »

GATOR
Please DONT try shrink tubing fast flight string material is synthetic and heating it up will weaken it severely.!!!!
gator

Post by gator »

Okay, thanks for the tip. I'll forego the heatshrink tubing as a possible idea. One example I've seen that is supposed to protect the serving is to add another layer of serving made up of double half-hitches.
Lots of material on the web about serving, etc., and I guess it's just a trial and error thing until you get it down pat.

Post by Guest »

WOW :shock: :shock: 2 years and still no fletched arrows!! kinda sounds like the local dealers around here :twisted: seriously gator thats unreal, i bet your son is smokin madd, there is no excuse for that kind of service :shock:
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

^^^^^...me :oops:

Post by Guest »

Gator, my barnett revolution is hard on serving, I bought the serving tool and starting serving it .
I carry a roll of teflon tape and when shooting you see signs of wear wrap the serving, the tape will last long enough to get you through the
shoot or hunt and keep you from ruining the string untill you get time to reserve.
James