Matrix380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rufusmilo

Matrix380

Post by rufusmilo »

Hello guys
Just wrote a long post but lost it .
So in a massively reduced version .hunting in a forrest and steep hill side locations in all weather have $2000 US dollars available and want to know what is best within budget .

1 best general scope to buy
2 best general range finder
3 what optimiser

Thanks guys
turbo

Re: Matrix380

Post by turbo »

I shoot a 380 and have a Twilight scope on it and have the Leupold Vendetta rangefinder attached to the bow.I have not used the rangefinders yet as just got it.I also got custom strings from Xcaliber who is on this site :)
LIVING THE DREAM
rufusmilo

Post by rufusmilo »

SEW wrote:The HHA Optimizer is excellent. I use a Zeiss Duralyt 2-8 on my M 380. The 2x7 Leupold VXR is a great lower cost alternative. Gold Tip Lazer 3 Pros with moon nocks(polish and take off sharp edges), AL inserts with 150g points(401g) at 20" stay virtually MOA out to 100 yds. At 18" with 170g points(wt of FOC expandible), same accuracy. I hope my Big John arrows on order will equal these - expect they will. The 2.5# (hunting) or 1.5# Trigger Teck(tgt or hunting) trigger is a good upgrade. I'm using the Danny Miller Flemish string(Boo string on order).
I do not feel the multi lined scopes have the accuracy, low light capability, clarity, etc of a good rifle scope on an Optimizer.
With my set,up as mentioned above, using true benchrest procedures, in low wind MOA results are common with my Matrix. I know this seems unreasonable or just impossible, but is just how it is. My SZ 380s(2), SF, and Parker Saf Mag are 2 - 2 1/2 MOA with similar arrows to 50 yds, then about 4 MOA by 100 yds. I used to think this was good. They are for sale so I can have a second Matrix.
The Diablo arrows group about 1 1/2 times larger than the GTs. I expect the Big John arrows to be the best shooters.
Hope this helps.
This is exactly the gold nuggets i am looking for.
Thanks
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

keep in mind the optimizer is heavy. add a full size rifle type scope is gonna add a bunch of extra weight. i didnt like that set up for hunting.my vote is if your shooting a 380 within reasonable hunting distances just pick up something like a Leupold crossbones scope or vari x 1 or 2 in a 2x7. a range finder is nice to have but not a must. if your shooting 35 yards or less maybe better to mark out things around your hunting area or practice judging short distances.i do like the black eagle arrows but the diablos can work fine.no need to blow all the $ 2000.00 :D
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

There are many good scopes out these days for crossbows that will calibrate to your bow speed, and offer exceptional clarity for hunting. As mentioned, that will keep some weight off, and offer good accuracy out to 50 yards, or more. I would also recommend using flat nocks, I don't see the advantage of the half moon style with an Excalibur crossbow, and that style is recommended by Excalibur. I might be missing something there, just my opinion.
Welcome to the forum, and good luck hunting!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I'm curious as to what the moon nocks provide? Not trying to be negative, just don't know! Thanks.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

SEW wrote:I agree with the other posters that the multi lined, crossbow specific scopes will suffice for the vast majority of xbow users. Due to the nature of where I live/hunt, my hunting is almost exclusively xbow. I varmint hunt with my xbow. Low light capability and extreme long range accuracy are very important to me. For this reason, I use the Zeiss Duralyt, the Optimizer, and moon nocks. Using the Matrix has allowed me to obtain groups at 50-100 yds that are well less than half the size of the SZ, SF, and Parker xbows. And no,, I'm not wounding coyotes at these longer ranges, I'm just killing them.
I also like shooting extended ranges out to 110 yards, and I know exactly what you're talking about with the accuracy you can achieve off the bench. I'm using matched BE Zombies and an Optimizer but as Dan asked, why the moon nocks? I have both aluminum nocks and plastic nocks....both flat and both scary accurate. I also agree with you about polishing the aluminum nocks before shooting them.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i have one set up with an eco tek witha vendetta range finder. 400gr arrow deadly combo luck with yours
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I'm running a leupold crossbones scope. BBE spine indexed arrows with slight offset blazer vanes and grizztrick2 100 gr broadheads and 94 gr brass inserts.
Danny Miller Flemish string. I'm also running fire nock non-lighted J nocks.
Two things that I like about the J nocks. You get a snap on the string that gives you a positive mating between the string and arrow. Also there's no way the arrow can rotate causing the vanes to rub the rail or arrow retaining arm.
For hunting it makes a pretty deadly combo :)