Mineral sites.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Deaf jeff

Re: Mineral sites.

Post by Deaf jeff »

xcaliber wrote:You got em coming in there for sure. Get some cheap peanut butter, screw the lid to the tree, and cut the bottom off. They will line up for that!
they won't line up for long cause the bear will have it gone, and will keep coming back looking for more :!:
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

I have had the best luck in using the 30-06 mineral from the whitetail institute. its pricy but I threw away a lot of $ over the years trying other things and got little if any interest so this time I am sticking with what seems to get their attention.
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Kegbelly wrote:After talking to my brother again and doing some reading I decided to try this, so on the way home from work this evening I bought 200 lbs of ingredients, cost about $54. The recipe he gave me (and I've read this elsewhere) says not to mix it up until you're ready to use it. I don't see why you couldn't mix it in a bucket at home then head out to your site. Hester, how do you do yours?
I mix mine in a 5 gallon bucket and stir it up real good and take steel rack or shovel with me to break the ground up and mix it into the dirt and then freshen it up every month or so during the summer and into the early fall.
Here's a couple of bucks last year at my mineral site

Last edited by Hester0305 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Deaf jeff wrote:I have had the best luck in using the 30-06 mineral from the whitetail institute. its pricy but I threw away a lot of $ over the years trying other things and got little if any interest so this time I am sticking with what seems to get their attention.
Most of the other minerals that are sold around here if you read the ingredients will have the Di Calcium Phosphate in them also from what I've read on the bags from other minerals. The main thing whatever we use with attractant and minerals should help keep the deer coming back wanting some more and hopefully improve our deer herds.
Stryker Katana 360
Gwens Dilemma

Post by Gwens Dilemma »

Hope this link works. It's about grape KoolAid. :wink:
Dave

http://www.fieldandstream.com/answers/q ... gave-me-ti
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Last edited by Ont_Excal on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
ajr1234

Post by ajr1234 »

I use Deer Cane powder mixed with a little Acorn Rage. I put that in a burlap pouch and hang it about 10 feet in a tree. Every time it rains the pouch drips and reactivates the mineral site. Had a hole dug about a foot deep and 3 feet around. Unfortunately in New Jersey we have a rather large bear problem so I have to lay off the sweet stuff otherwise mama and cubs come strolling in and spend their morning in front of my stand.
Anthony
Matrix 380 Blackout
262 grain 17" BE Zombie Slayers
100 grain thunderheads
Leupold Crossbones
TT 2 Stage Trigger
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

There's a whole lot good info on here to start driving them crazy and building them horns.
Stryker Katana 360
wolv1001

Post by wolv1001 »

It's four65 from trophy rock
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Thanks wolv sorry duh!.. Ya four65. My bad.. Sorry bout that Kegbelly! Great input and pics guys!! Good stuff....deer cane...Kool aid....be Kool cane! :D Man Hester..you got some whoppers down ther!! Nice
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
wolv1001

Post by wolv1001 »

Anytime,you are right.Stuff works great,just wanted to get the word out there.On my way to get some more now,time to get the cam's out in full force.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I put out a 5 gallon bucket of minerals today, about 50 lbs, split it up between 3 different sites. Here's what I used: 1 part stock salt, 2 parts red trace mineral salt, 1 part dicalcium phosphate, 4 packs dry grape koolaid, and topped it off with a little deer cain and c'mere deer. These were existing sites, just trying to sweeten them up a little.
This site I started 2 years ago, nothing but deer cain has been used here, poured it out on hard ground and I freshen it up 3 or 4 times a year. It's about 8" deep and about 5" around now.
This is a new site I just started in April. This is ONE time with 1/2 bag of deer cain. Kicked the leaves out of the way and poured it out on hard ground. It's a couple feet around now and about a foot deep at the deepest, what's in the picture is the new minerals I put out.
Another site... this is an existing mineral hole I've been sweetening up with deer cain, but with the clay in the soil here it holds water too long, so we decided to start another lick next to it. Going back in a couple weeks to see if the deer like the new minerals
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers