PCV deer feeder

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shakky

PCV deer feeder

Post by Shakky »

I know this has been talked about in the past and I have read the past threads on this topic but I was wondering if there have been any new developments since this last came up. My food plot has not turned out very well so I've gone to plan B. I plan on making a feeder over the next week or so and would really appreciate any pictures you may have. Thanks S.
gator

Post by gator »

Don't have any pictures but we're using the 55gal drum on legs by Moultrie. Holds a bunch of corn and you can program drops up to 4 times a day for a max of 20 seconds for each drop. Spreads about a 30ft circle and runs on a 6v rechargeable battery. Whole thing is pretty stable and as weatherproof as a 55 gal steel barrel can be. The only thing I'd change is adding a solar recharger which would be a pretty simple matter if you can locate one that will work with 6v.
If you have access to poly drums, you could save a little by just buying the feeder mechanism from Cabelas and making your own. It could hang from a tree limb or you could make a platform for it with 2X4's.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Shakky,
The simple method is to take a section of pipe (6" is good) and simply strap it to a tree with the botton a couple of inches off the ground. Fill it with feed (corn) and let gravity do the rest! A rubber "test cap" works fine on the top to keep rain out.
I tried all kinds of fancy setups with reducers, elbows, and such, and only had heartaches & discontent from my brainstorms :lol:
This year I went to a "stumpfeeder" and so far it has been great! A bit expensive though :cry:
Just checked the second planting this year of my food plot today and the soyabeans don't have any leaves on top! The deer are keeping them well trimmed, but I think enough will surrive to hold them until season gets here! If not, the feeder's nearby! But they ate 50# of corn since Saturday! I did watch a doe & twin fawns eat Sunday evening. So close I could hear them chewing :wink:
wabi
Ontario Bow Hunter

Post by Ontario Bow Hunter »

I remember before we got the new digs here at the forum there was a awesome post about PVC feeders. There were instructions with pictures at every step of the way. It would be nice to see these again.

I did a search and found this web site

http://community.webshots.com/album/108947984XyAIAz

Or you can purchase plan here if you don't feel like searching.

http://www.deerfeederplans.com/
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I had instructions and all posted some time back Ontario Bow Hunter. Here is a few pic's. If'n U need futher instructions I will PM oe e-mail them too U. Mine have been working fine so fer. They will hold about 25lbs corn each. http://groups.msn.com/CrossbowHunter/deerfeeder.msnw

After ya go to the link, just click on each pic to enlarge.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!

Post by Guest »

PVC feeder is a great idea but I think our whiteys would go through that for lunch. We're probably feeding too much (50 lbs each stand) but maybe if we get them fat enough, they'll just be able to waddle and they'll be easier to hit.
The stump feeder looked good but down here, we get fire ants in corn pretty easily. I got bit up the other day when I picked up a bag of cob corn. Maybe y'all don't have these up nawth.
Ontario Bow Hunter

Hi guest, what are "Whiteys"? I'm not familar with this term\word.

Thanks Gary,.. is there a ball or something in the end? I seem to remember a ball or something that controlled the dispensing of the feed and the deer learn to knock the feeder to release the food.
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Thanks guys! Gary L. I may take you up on your offer once I get into it. Just one question for now. How long does 25 pounds last in your area. I realize the amount of deer in an area will dictate the amount of feed eaten but I would like some kind of guide line.
Quickshot

Post by Quickshot »

Shakky, I made on of the Choctaw gravity feeders, model #GF32T on this web site. I can't show you a picture but it looks exactly like it. This will be my first year trying it.

http://WWW.gamefeedersonline.com
enjoy the woods
Doug
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Shakky I gotta load mine up once a week during season.. However they will empty them in about two days or three at most. The deer in my area seem to have a every two week cycle they follow.

Every two weeks they empty them fast, next two weeks they empty slow. I also let them run dry fer a week and add nutten, seems to keep them interested.

The corn falls thru the elbow till it levels off even with the opening, the deer nudge the feeder makeing more conn fall/spill out. They learn the trick real quick. If'n I kept them filled constant I would go broke. I use 150 to 200lb durning the deer season every two weeks.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Ontario Bow Hunter

Good stuff - thanks.

Have you ever had problems with Bears raiding your feeders? I've had problems with a bear eating up the feed I put out for the deer.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

:shock: BEARS :shock: not here, but wabi might have that trouble. I know they are getting close to the Ohio and W.Va borders.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Ontario Bow Hunter

Huh,.. there are no bears around where you live? I guess I'm so used to them I just assume there are around almost anywhere.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Ontario Bow Hunter wrote:Huh,.. there are no bears around where you live? I guess I'm so used to them I just assume there are around almost anywhere.
Kinda wish I could say that, I see enough when down in W.Va...Around here not so.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

OBH : wrote
Hi guest, what are "Whiteys"? I'm not familar with this term\word.
I'm guessing he means whitetails .... in our neck of the woods , it isn't unsual to hear some one say " we'll be chasing hollow - hairs , ringnecks , and longnecks today "

Meaning .... we would be hunting , deer in the a.m. , pheasants thru the day , and geese for a p.m. shoot .
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "