Bolts and Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rick Teal

Bolts and Broadheads

Post by Rick Teal »

I'm hoping some of you will give me your thoughts on what bolts and broadheads to use for moose (and deer) hunting.

As you may have noticed I recently bought an Exomag from Red Label. It arrived today, and now I'm looking for a good combination of bolts and broadheads for moose (and deer) hunting.

I viewed the video, and it seems that the recommended bolts are those that come with an accessories pack with a new bow (carbon), or either 2216 or 2219 aluminum bolts. It seems that 100 grain Wasps are the recommended broadhead.

I'm upgrading from a Horton Explorer. This is an older 150 pound compound crossbow (its very much unlike their current Explorer model). With this bow I used Lightning Strike bolts (390 grains) and 125 grain Wasp broadheads. This gave me a total arrow weight of 515 grains. I had some 2219's that weighed 370 grains which meant a total weight of 495 grains. The Lightning Strikes have the same diameter as the 2219's. My assumption is that 2216's weigh a little less than the 2219's. BTW my local archery shop has recommended 2216's.

My thoughts - based mainly on my experience as a rifle shooter - is that the heavier the combination, the greater the penetration and therefore the greater the liklihood of an effective hit (especially on a moose).

So, why are 100 grain heads preferable to 125's (if they actually are), and what bolt weight and spine do you recommend?

Thanks in advance:

Rick
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

Rick - I've never hunted moose with my crossbow yet.

But if it were me, off that Exomag I'd be throwing 2216's or Beman Thunderbolts and 130 grain Wasp Camlock heads. Not based on experience, just my gut feeling and some of the advice I've read on here.

BTW thanks for the transaction. It was a pleasure doing business with you.

Mike
striper

Post by striper »

Since there aren't any moose in Alabama, I can't address what bolt would be appropriate for them. But, we have plenty of whitetails, and all you really need to hunt them are 2213 Easton xx 75 bolts and 100 grain broadheads. I use NAP Spitfires and have had really good success. The total weight of the combination is about 387 grain and with my Exocet, I get about 295 FPS velocity. Like Red Label, I would think that for moose, and using an Exomag you would want a heavier, stronger bolt- broadhead combination. Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
Quickshot

Post by Quickshot »

Rick, I shoot 2216 with 100grain wasp heads for moose and dear from my exocet. There is plenty of energy for moose, and plenty of speed for deer. IMHO this is the perfect combination. With that said the bottom line is you need to use what you feel most comforable with. As Red said you need to use your gut feeling. You must have total confidence in your setup when the moment of truth happens.

Good luck with you choice. :D
enjoy the woods
Doug
striper

Post by striper »

It is interesting that the broadheads seem to track 1-2 inches below field points when fired at targets. My 100 gr. NAP Spitfires group reproducibly 1 inch below field points using 2213 xx-75 bolts fired from an Exocet. Maybe the length of the broadheads does affect the point of impact. Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.