Puzzled

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rt2bowhunter

Puzzled

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Shooting a few days ago I learned my 380 shot 2 to 3" right at 60yds. Scopes straight that's not it. I've tried different brass inserts and fletching straight and helical.
I'm shooting spine indexed BEE 18" arrows with grizztrick2 heads, I also shot 2 other broadheads. With the same results.
Heres what's going on.
20,30,40,50 yds dead on there hitting in the black dot on my 18-1 target.
But at 60 yds 2" right every time great group but 2" right.

Any idea what could be going on. Think I need a stiffer arrow.
VixChix

Re: Puzzled

Post by VixChix »

Perhaps a slight cant to the bow?

Not even a hair off at 50 yds but 2"-3" at 60? Windage being a bit off might not show at closer distances, but should show something at 50 yds.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I know, I've been shooting and shooting. I even put up a 4' level at 20 yds and one on the bow. The crosshairs are plumb as can be.
I've even changed one hook on my cocking rope. Because it wasn't turning as free as the other.

And yes I can shoot until I'm wore out at 50 yds and it's a bullseye every time. But move the target out to 60 and it hits right.
When I adjusted the scope to hit on at 60 yds. Then moved the target back to 20 yds.i was hitting left just as far as it was hitting right at 60 yds.
Boo

Post by Boo »

What Vix said would be my first suspicion. My second would be not enough offset on the fletchings, especially with indexed shafts.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I tried straight ,offset,and helical blazers and 4" quick spins.
And the camo is wearing on the left side of the rail and is also wearing the arrow.
No wear on the right side of the rail or arrow.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I see you're shooting with broadheads - how do the arrows fly with field points?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Vixchix, to be honest I don't know. I just came in for a min. To get a torx wrench. Lol. I have two levels on it now. :). When there both lined up and I look thru the scope the way I was shooting it the crosshairs look off. I'm going to fine tune the scope.
Thank you I will let you know if it fixes it. And you to boo :)
And if it don't I'll shoot some field tips. Everything did vibrate lose the other day. Even the rings so maybe I forgot to check that.
Last edited by rt2bowhunter on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I put a 4' level at 30 yds two levels on the bow and set the crosshair like I was on the big job lol.
It's plumb now for sure.
But here's what I found out I can't see no more :). When I got back on the porch to adjust the scope. I had to walk back out to 30 yds because the level was off. Big time but guess what it wasn't.:(. As soon as I got the crosshair plumb. My eye wasn't buying it at all. So I was canting the bow.
I held the bow where my eye said the crosshair was plumb and swung over to the level when the 60 yd crosshair touched the level. The 20yd crosshair was to the right just about as much as I was hitting off at 60 yds.
So a big thank you for the help. And I hope it's fixed:)
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I'm glad you were able to solve the mystery!

Xbow canting is a common problem. I struggled with it when I first started shooting and still do. Now with the HHA on the bow raising the scope I'm working to find the consistent anchor point for my jaw (not cheek) on the stock. I always appreciate it when people I'm shooting with point out that I'm canting.

Sometimes I'm so focused on the target that I don't pay enough attention, and other times the view through the scope (crooked trees, sloped horizon) plays with my perception. It's a learning curve for sure.

Happy shooting!
Boo

Post by Boo »

rt2bowhunter wrote: My eye wasn't buying it at all.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

:)
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Glad you got it fixed Rt, you had me wondering also what you were doing
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Danny would term that 'Pilot Error' :mrgreen: Some little thing that pops up at odd ranges. I'm glad you found your gremlin, keep him please, :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Lol yea, it had me puzzled that's for sure. The old eyes must have been knocked out of plumb lol. Because there still trying to pick a fight with that level:).
But this is really the first time in about 5 years I've used a multi line scope.
It's been leupold shotgun scopes eotechs with and without optimizers.
I have no choice that I can see. But to put a level on the scope. Or maybe bow.
Well better get out there and shoot before the wind wakes up.
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Good news, I made a level to put on the riser out of a string level. I also put the 4' level on my target. That I move from yardage to yardage I stay at home.
My range is on the side of a hill not steep but a grade.
After 20 yd sight in. I moved to 30yds same hole. 40 then 50 same hole. I'm using the same arrow with the grizztrick2.
Now the big test 60 yds. I get everything level hold the 60 yd mark on the dot. And shoot the arrow hit a 1" high and 1/2" left yep left. I shoot 3 more times at 60. And there right there same spot.
I still can't get over just how far off the scope is when I put it where my eye says.
Anyway I learned a important hunting lesson. A level on my bows is just as important as the scope or even arrows. It's just a gotta have.