Sound Suppression Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gwens Dilemma

Sound Suppression Question

Post by Gwens Dilemma »

I've got an older Exomag carved tip limb model that I've had since it was new. I am not going to buy a new bow 'cause this one is a keeper. Just wondering if there is anything out there that will quiet it down some.
Thanks
Dave
Normous

Re: Sound Suppression Question

Post by Normous »

Adding cat whiskers near the end loops of your string and/or shooting a heavier arrow should accomplish your goals and keep the CT Exomag many more years.

Also, a custom string with extra strands will also help dampen the string/limb vibration.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Anything you add to string or limbs will affect arrow speed and not do anything meaningful for noise reduction. Just the nature of the beast called crossbow, esp recurve. Learn to shoot at relaxed, reasonably close deer.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Being a carved limb tip model you are already limited to dacron strings which make a bit less noise than "fastflight" strings. I'll disagree with Cossack and go along with Normous on the catwhiskers being a good way to reduce noise.
I use both a dacron string and catwhiskers added near the loops on my Phoenix to reduce noise and vibration.
I've also found a heavier arrow helps. I experimented with arrow weight on the Phoenix and found that using at least 375 gr arrows (going up in weight from the 350 gr minimum) helped, and between 375 and 400 gr seems to be the best compromise for the asset of noise reduction and the liability of velocity loss.
There are other things that help (such as strong stops, aka REDS), but for the most benefit for the least expense try catwhiskers & heavier arrows first.
wabi
Gwens Dilemma

Post by Gwens Dilemma »

Still shoot the aluminum bolts and 125 grain wasps that Bill recommended when I bought it. Just wondered if there was something like the rubber buggy bumpers around. I see there is on the web site. Anyone have an opinion on them. I keep my shots at 25 yards and less because of the noise. I can shoot accurate to at least 50 yards. IMHO that's way too far but I would like to be confident shooting 30 or 35 yards and the noise doesn't allow that now.
Dave
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Yes string stoppers, heavier arrows and even cat whiskers help to reduce noise and vibration. A BIT. But, while they may please our ears -marginally- they do NOT 'quiet' a crossbow to the point where an alert deer won't react to the noise.
Most everything is relative...including noise. (Based on my experiences with seven crossbows:3 recurves, 4 compounds).
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!