Help, my back cant take it..equinox

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kegbelly

Re: Help, my back cant take it..equinox

Post by Kegbelly »

Is returning the bow to the store out of the question? Either for exchange or store credit toward another bow? Seems like that would be the simplest solution, then you could get the one you wanted to begin with, rather than spend a bunch more money on parts turning an Equinox into a Vortex.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I am 75 years old and average build. I have the Equinox and don't have any problem cocking the CB. I am right handed so this is what I do when I hook up the rope cocker to the string on the right side I then have to pull up the string several inches to get the left side hooked. With my right foot fully in the stirrup and the stock resting against the outside of my right leg I cock the CB. When I complete the cocking motion my hands are at my waist and not much higher. This seems to work for me and you can adjust the rope cocker so that you are not pulling higher than your waist.

If you are still not satisfied with the Equinox you may be able to trade it here for a Vortex or other less powerful CB. I would suggest that you do not modify the rail. The crank-a-roo is another option BUT I have no experience with one. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I can cock & un-cock my Equinox while in my tree stands and hope this helps.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
samiam

Post by samiam »

Deerstalker, I must have short legs, as I am going past my waist to get it to lock in. The fellow who owns the Phoenix and Vortex xbows has lots of experience with these units and he was showing me the correct way to cock the xbow, and its just as you described. I can do it ofcourse, and for hunting no problem but if I want to shoot 20 arrows in a evenning of target shooting it takes the fun out of the evenning.

Munches offer to trade may be the best way to go, but I am still considering modifying the rail....it looks so easy to do...and apparently others have done this.
strum

Post by strum »

samiam wrote: but I am still considering modifying the rail....it looks so easy to do...and apparently others have done this.
if your a machinist and have the tools then that is not a bad option .. I think if you use the back riser hole for the (new) front hole you'll end up with a phoenix/Ibex length.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
munch

Post by munch »

samiam wrote:Munch, thanks where are you located? I am in central/eastern Alberta area. I am still entertaining the thought of modifying mine but If I dont mod mine I would like to swap with you.

Cossack, you have done this? and you still suggest buying another rail? why?
im in ontario . sounds like your over in the badlands .anywhere near drumheller
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
munch

Post by munch »

hers a link to a bow i built for my grand son . i shortened the rail. just remember if you shorten the rail theres no going back

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ndsons+bow
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts facebook
Blood on the floor

Post by Blood on the floor »

Samiam
Did You check PM
mark 10 :13
samiam

Post by samiam »

I did check my PM, and answered back yesterday, I just checked my messages now and I see my return PM is sitting in my outbox.....Dont know why it didnt leave, I will check to see if I screwed up somehow.
Munch that is one nice xbow you put together
samiam

Post by samiam »

Ok I have made up my mind I am going to modify my xbow. I am a doityourself guy, and like tinkering, and the appeal of having a single bow that can be configured for target/fun and then reconfigured for serious power (not that Phoenix class is light weight, it isnt) is just to attractive to me, and if I screw up, well it wont be the first time.
Munch thanks for your offer. I may regret not going that route.
I have tried to respond to messages sent to me, and tried to send a message, I dont know whats up with this system but I seem to be unable to do either,
And Munch I am east of Edmonton by a hour or so.
munch

Post by munch »

samiam wrote:Ok I have made up my mind I am going to modify my xbow. I am a doityourself guy, and like tinkering, and the appeal of having a single bow that can be configured for target/fun and then reconfigured for serious power (not that Phoenix class is light weight, it isnt) is just to attractive to me, and if I screw up, well it wont be the first time.
I have tried to respond to messages sent to me, and tried to send a message, I dont know whats up with this system but I seem to be unable to do either,
i spent 2 winters west of sylvan lake and the summer i was 18 i ran a gravel crusher on the peace river north of grand prairie at the big suspension bridge at dunvagen
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts facebook
Boo

Post by Boo »

munch wrote:
samiam wrote:Ok I have made up my mind I am going to modify my xbow. I am a doityourself guy, and like tinkering, and the appeal of having a single bow that can be configured for target/fun and then reconfigured for serious power (not that Phoenix class is light weight, it isnt) is just to attractive to me, and if I screw up, well it wont be the first time.
i spent 2 winters west of sylvan lake and the summer i was 18 i ran a gravel crusher on the peace river north of grand prairie at the big suspension bridge at dunvagen
I'll be hunting in Saddle Hills/Spirit River next year. I haven't been there for about 5 years but we used to hunt with out buddies every year who live in Fairview.
Terry, there are way too many bears in the Peace River valley, wayyyy tooooo many! :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
munch

Post by munch »

don fairview was a beer stop they had off sales at the bars there .not too often i got to go i worked 7pm to 7am 10 days in 5 days out. i had no where to go so spent the summer working all but a couple days, i banked in spirit river but lived in camp on top of the hill on the south west side .we had every thing we needed in camp. funny how easy it was to get a job out there .i hitch hiked all the way out there on a tip from a buddy. i got to the job site at about 7pm on a sunday night and introduced myself and told the guy my buddy bill said they may be looking for help. foreman told me to throw my bag in the construction trailer and grab a 7/8" wrench we needed to repair a belt. was what they called a ground man for a couple days then a cat skinner for 2 or 3 then got top job as crusher operator . was express to the top .we finished the job and where moving to indian cabins just inside the north west territory's so i came home for a few days well the move was on and ended up staying here .probable a good thing they said the nearest place to buy beer was about 50mile drive.and back then beer was a staple
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts facebook
samiam

Post by samiam »

Gentleman,....... (que the drum roll)...... I now have a Phoenix, Equinox hybrid. I still have to make a dummy block so when the riser is bolted to the Equinox position the string doesnt drop off the end of the rail but the hard part is done, well not that hard. I will do some target practice with it tonight in the Phoenix configuration. Now the rail does stick into the area where my foot goes but with running shoes on its not a problem, if I had boots on it likely would be a problem, but I would only have boots on if I was out hunting and I would then have it configured for the Equinox position where it wouldnt be a problem.
I have the best of both worlds in a single package, a lighter pull,easier on strings mode, and a harder hitting mode for hunting......I cant be the only one who has done this, I see where others have cut their rails down, has no one else set up their xbow in such a way?
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

need to see some pics, there are some master machinist on here so it was said.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
strum

Post by strum »

samiam wrote:Gentleman,....... (que the drum roll)...... I now have a Phoenix, Equinox hybrid. I still have to make a dummy block so when the riser is bolted to the Equinox position the string doesnt drop off the end of the rail but the hard part is done, well not that hard. I will do some target practice with it tonight in the Phoenix configuration. Now the rail does stick into the area where my foot goes but with running shoes on its not a problem, if I had boots on it likely would be a problem, but I would only have boots on if I was out hunting and I would then have it configured for the Equinox position where it wouldnt be a problem.
I have the best of both worlds in a single package, a lighter pull,easier on strings mode, and a harder hitting mode for hunting......I cant be the only one who has done this, I see where others have cut their rails down, has no one else set up their xbow in such a way?
Cool defiantly show us some pics :D
Not to sure I care for the long part sticking out though. But if your happy that's all that matters huh.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16