Looking for a scope, maybe a red dot, advice please

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

colty31

Looking for a scope, maybe a red dot, advice please

Post by colty31 »

I recently purchased an Excalibur Eclipse XT that came with a bunch of upgrades including the twilight DLX scope. I've been messing around with it a bit but I think it might be too much scope for me. It feels like a rifle scope and I think I would be happier with a simpler scope, maybe a red dot.

Any suggestions/advice?

(I posted a for sale add for the twilight DLX if anyone is interested)
Eclipse XT/Truglo Red 3-Dot/Vixenmaster string (Gator)
vixenmaster

Re: Looking for a scope, maybe a red dot, advice please

Post by vixenmaster »

We can help you fer sure. Depends on what yer wantin out of yer optics. Are you jus target shootin or huntin also ? What yardages are normal fer you ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

Check out the Nikon Bolt Xr scope, light, short, accurate, 3" to 4" eye relief and no speed ring. Here are 3 shots from about 20 yards.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
wabi

Post by wabi »

A red dot type will work fine and keep things simple for hunting if you are comfortable with it's limitations.
I tried/used a single dot red dot scope until I could afford something better and it was adequate for my method (25 yard zero and limit shots to 30 yards or less) but the sight was poor for use at dawn & dusk. Not enough light transmission to see the target clearly.

I prefer a single aiming point for hunting as multiple points can become confusing at the worst time (when you're looking at a deer). I've missed a couple deer over the years by using the wrong aiming point. :oops:
I've found with my hunting setup I can zero at 25 yards and a shot at the center of the heart/lung area of any deer from 0-30 yards will give me a fatal hit. Maybe an inch or two high or low, but fatal on every deer I've shot at using this method.

I've also had too many bad experiences with the typical "crossbow scopes" sold by various companies. Most of them are imports (typically made in China) and even if the company with their brand name on the scope backs them up with a good replacement policy that doesn't help me when I shoot at a deer only to find the scope has failed at that moment. Yes - I have missed one deer and wounded another only to find the scope had suddenly failed to hold zero!

After scope failure #3 (in three years) I talked to Dan Miller and on his advice upgraded to a Leupold scope (VX-1 2-7x33). Haven't had a problem or missed a deer in the years (3-4, can't remember for sure) since.
Last year I did upgrade to a better Leupold (VX-2 1-4x20) for a slightly better view in low light, but it's still a Leupold and still holding zero without any problems!

I have found most red dot type sights will hold zero on a crossbow, but the optics in most of them (all I've tried) are just not very good. The Leupold scope adds at least 10 or 15 minutes to my hunting time by letting me see the target clearly in low light, and I don't have to wonder where the arrow will hit when I do pull the trigger. :D
wabi
colty31

Post by colty31 »

I will be using it mainly for hunting. I would like to shoot up to 50 yards if possible but I understand this is difficult in the woods. I may be hunting on the edge of a field so that would give me a clear shot at least, if I did want to extend my range.
colty31

Post by colty31 »

also, should most red dot scopes fit right onto an excalibur?

for example this one - http://www.basspro.com/TRUGLO-Tru-Brite ... 8268120231

please recommend me some red dot scopes, 1 or 3 dot
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I didn't have any luck wid the trueglo red dot 3 dot. Would not hold a zero more than 2 days. Eclipse model 200 lbs 50 yds single dot no way. 3 dot sighted in at 25-35 & 45 yds.Get 30mm or larger fer field of view. I have a single red dot i use out to 35 yds. Red dots are not great on accuracy, mine gives 1 1/2 to 2" at 35 yds all day everyday. They are not great in early dawn darkness or late dusk. Once its light enuff you see well wid yer eyes its game on. I have never felt handicapped by the red dot in dim light as deer usually right up on you
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

You could look into a scope with a turkey plex, or deer plex reticle. That would provide a clean view, and a few aiming points. I like the Nikon Bolt XR!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

colty31 wrote:I will be using it mainly for hunting. I would like to shoot up to 50 yards if possible but I understand this is difficult in the woods. I may be hunting on the edge of a field so that would give me a clear shot at least, if I did want to extend my range.
Shooting "out to 50 yards" is pretty iffy with a red dot (have owned 3, none now). Even three power magnification gives you a clearer, more precise sight picture that is not available with a one power red dot (Those that magnify are outrageously expensive). Suggest you look at one of the HAWKE scopes, like the SR1. It magnifies, the reticule is adjustable to match the trajectory of your arrow and has multiple aiming points to shoot precisely past the distance you specify.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Jray

Post by Jray »

That is the sight I use on my 355. I also have a Hawke SR as well as various Leupold, Vortex, Weaver, Bushnell and Clearidge scopes. I really like the TruGlo for the purpose I use it for- shots under about 40 yds and in all legal shooting times. Red dots of this type are great for shooting using both eyes open which, in my opinion negates any perceived low light advantage to using magnified optics of any quality. Also allows for rapid target acquisition, especially in low light conditions-both eyes open of course. If you wanted to use one of the dial bases it may work for longer distances but you are beginning to overextend yourself past about 40 yds(IMO). Makes a great light weight option for a bow that handles and shoots especially well offhand and in the treestand/woodlots I usually hunt in. I went to a local Dick's to look through the sight because I was concerned that since I needed reading glasses for up close that the dot may be out of focus. That was not the case as the single dot, as well as the other "reticles" were in perfect focus. So far for me the sight is holding zero and after deer season I will be putting it on my Rem 760 for turkey season in the spring.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

In my findings Burris makes the best red dot out there.There are some Super deals on e-bay right now, you guys may want to check them out.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

all I use is a single dot red dot sight, presently an oldie but goodie leopold Gilmore. I limit my shots to 35-40 yards but that has nothing to do with my sight choice just where I feel comfortable shooting at animals. my opinion is a red dot would be fine at 50 yards for hunting purposes as long as you are comfortable shooting animals at that distance , especially with a brightness setting of 5 or lower is used.
just my opinion.
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
Solid19xX

Post by Solid19xX »

Take a look at Eotech. They makes some good Red-Dot sight. Model 512 or Model 512 Xbow. It does come at a premium price.
Micro 335_Black (Leupold Mark AR Mod1 SPR)
Matrix 330_Black (Leupold FXII 2.5x20)
Matrix 355_RealTreeX (TactZone)
Mathews ZXT_Black (SpotHogg Hunter)
Summit Viper SD