Trouble with Ontario Deer Draw

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hockeyfodder

Trouble with Ontario Deer Draw

Post by hockeyfodder »

Hey All:
Has anyone else had problems with the deer draw?
The draw for surplus tags is very unfair the way the conduct it.
People who work when the phone lines open are left out in the cold.
People with access to computers have an immense advantage over those who don't so older hunter who are not computer literate are shut out.
Also I just got an antlerless tag for the WRONG WMU.
Just as long as the get the sale (licence) they don't care if hunters are treated fairly.
I wonder if the OFAH is looking into this debacle?
Every time I don't think it can get any worse, it does.
Big John

Re: Trouble with Ontario Deer Draw

Post by Big John »

I agree wholeheartedly. Not to much you can do though. If there are any more cut-backs there won't be an MNR.! :roll:
Please don't get me started about them and the Moose Draw system!!!! :twisted: :twisted:
I speak every year with a rep or two from the MNR at Dinners and hear all kinds of stories. I also give them a few of my own!!!
I do hope you can use the Tag for the other WMU though.

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Things will get better when they new the contract and take it from the US company and give it to India. LOL :roll:
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

You work 24/7 ?? Phone lines work 24/ hrs a day. Times change and we have to change with them. The phone option asks you to verify everything and double check it. Your authorization number allows you to verify your entry. You should have no issue correcting it if your authorization verifies you applied for different area. Computer route allows you to print off copy so you can verify your entry. Both have better back up/ verification than your old paper application.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

I understand your frustration as I have been delegated the additional tag purchaser for our group as the schedules/internet skills of my other group members hinder them. Fortunately for me I have a flexible schedule and the internet option works very slick (perhaps at your expense - sorry). I was able to buy additionals for myself and three other family members within 15 minutes of the tags going on sale.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

Hunt it wrote:You work 24/7 ?? Phone lines work 24/ hrs a day. Times change and we have to change with them. The phone option asks you to verify everything and double check it. Your authorization number allows you to verify your entry. You should have no issue correcting it if your authorization verifies you applied for different area. Computer route allows you to print off copy so you can verify your entry. Both have better back up/ verification than your old paper application.
Work at a golf course, got off fairway units for a break 40 minutes after lines opened. Additional licences sold out by the time I got through (15 minutes of trying).
When it's a mad dash to sell them that is what happens.
They should open lines take all applicants then run a lottery to give everyone a fair chance.
A 75 year old I hunt with has no computer skills, he tried by phone but they were sold out by the time he got through.
In the area I hunt tags are in a great demand and they have cut way back.
Just got to make things fairer, that's all.
I will contact them about the error in my area but I do hunt that area also, I live on the border of the two WMUs.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

No additional tags for WMUs 89-------95.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
cdn.redneck

Post by cdn.redneck »

I just got my tag today, thought I would never get it :?
Leupold crossbones
Mathews Monster 7.0
Black Eagle - Carbon Express - Easton
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

I would love to see a two tag system .one just for bow hunting and .a another for firearms .this would save a lot of problems as some guys and gals never pick up a bow .and some people would love to be able to bow hunt .and still have a tag to go north or hunt the controlled hunt with there own tag .Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

dutchhunter wrote:I would love to see a two tag system .one just for bow hunting and .a another for firearms .this would save a lot of problems as some guys and gals never pick up a bow .and some people would love to be able to bow hunt .and still have a tag to go north or hunt the controlled hunt with there own tag .Dutch
We have that here. There is the regular tag and there are an allotted number of surplus tags in WMU 82a. These are all bow only, doe only this year.
I'm not sure the reasoning with the "antlerless only" tags because if there is concern about the deer herd strength I would think buck only would be more appropriate.
After all a buck will service several does however a doe will only have 1 or hopefully two fawns.
Maybe someone has another opinion on this but when the herd is low we're not worried about trophy antlers.
JMHO
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

I think it works slick as ****

I hunt 3 WMU's bow, rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader. One controlled hunt. I buy 3-4 deer tags a year and apply for an antlerless. In 15 years I've never had an issue and NEVER ONCE missed out on an additional tag. I generally just walk into service Ontario and purchase at the counter. Sheeesh, how easy do they have to make it?
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86