Damage from unstringing bow with disapator pads on?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

peter p

Damage from unstringing bow with disapator pads on?

Post by peter p »

I had my exomax unstrung with the disapator pads still on for about 10 minutes.
Can there be any damage to the pads or bars because of this?
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

No Damage - 10 minutes is fine. :)
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I've personally have left the pads on for the time it takes to change strings with no damage. However, the pads should be removed prior to unstringing your bow for any length of time, otherwise the pads will definitely be damaged. The longer they're compressed the more damage. The question is if 10 minutes is long enough to damage them permanently. Check them, chances are that they're OK
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
pdislow

pads damage

Post by pdislow »

i just took my exomax out of the box finally and watched the video.
the stirrup and pads were already put together in one unit with the dissapator bars and pads attached also. i have now put the string on it with the help of my neighbor. have i messed up? is the dissipator bar or pads messed up? i have not cocked it or fired it. thanks philip
thanks philip
peter p

Post by peter p »

The pads look fine but my concern is the bars being bent.
When the bow is cocked should the pads be in contact with the limbs? My pads are not touching the limbs with the bow at full cock.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Peter P
I bent my bars from a dry fire, but even then they were only bent maybe 1/8 inch. (I replaced them) The bars will not bend from sitting unstrung for 10 minutes with the pads being compressed.

Check and make sure the 2 screws that tighten your disipator bars are tight enough. When my bars were bent, the bow was much louder with a twang sound when it was fired.

pdislow
Did you watch the video that came with your bow? It should explain everything, I'm not quite sure what your asking? The little black rubber pads are fine if your bow is strung. (The limbs are slightly bent back when it is strung) The problem is when you unstring your bow, the pads are being severly compressed because the limbs are really far forward. As long as your bow is strung the pads are fine. Like the video says, remove the 2 screws that hold each pad and take the pad out if your going to leave your bow unstrung for any lenght of time.

Nick
Vince (not logged in)

Post by Vince (not logged in) »

I bought my Exocet in 98, before mag tip limbs, dissipitator bars and FF string were available for Excalibur.

Last year i upgraded my Exocet to mag tip limbs and FF string, the year before......i installed the dissipitator kit.

I don't recall any instruction about removing the rubber pads during the off season while the xbow is unstrung, nor have i ever removed the pads.

To date, I haven't had any problems.
The pads don't look squashed or compressed nor are the dissipitator bars bent (forward).
More importantly, the xbow is still grouping better than the manufacture's spec.
I'll certainly remove the pads if this is recommended.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Vince,

Do you have the newer video? Watch the "Installing dissipator pads" video here.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/video.html

BillT says if your unstringing for more then an hour or so remove the pads.
Vince (not logged in)

Post by Vince (not logged in) »

Thanks Partikle, will do.......in the off season.....starting January 05

I see you're from Ottawa, me too.
pdislow

bars / pads

Post by pdislow »

thanks for the reply
i watched the video rewound it and replayed it step by step as i assembled the xbow. unlike in the video the limbs bars and pads were already assembled in one piecealong with the stirrup. everything looks ok to me but i don't know what i am doing and saw this post and wondered if i have any thing messed up??? philip
thanks philip
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Hey Vince,

There are a few of us here from the Valley. Go Sens Go.

But beware :shock: looks like they will let anybody on this forum... there are a couple of Leaf fans here to! :wink:
peter p

Post by peter p »

pdislow
if the bars and pads were already installed without the string, then I would check the pads because they cannot be left on without the string on the limbs.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi,

sorry, that I'm not registered yet.
I will sign up soon!
I had my Exomag unstrung with disapator pads on for 1 month... :oops:
Everything seems to be okay but my question is: Can only the bars and pads be damaged or maybe anything with the crossbow itself?

Thank you,

Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I see that nobody answers.
I just want to know, if any part of the crossbow (maybe the limbs) can be damaged.
Maybe a simple "Yes" or "No"?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Etienne wrote:I see that nobody answers.
I just want to know, if any part of the crossbow (maybe the limbs) can be damaged.
Maybe a simple "Yes" or "No"?
No, only the pads may have been held in a flattened/squished position as too where they may not expand back out to their normal size/thickness.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!