Price and availability on matrix 330

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SniperWolf

Re: Price and availability on matrix 330

Post by SniperWolf »

Excalibur shipped my 330 yesterday. I'm expecting it next week. I got one from Lifetime Sports in Sudbury.
Matrix 330 "Mercy"
Slick Tricks
Boo Custom String
pstjohn

Post by pstjohn »

For what it's worth, I had felt the definition of draw length in the 2014 Ontario Hunting Regs to be ambiguous so contacted the MNR via their web page and was informed that in the field they measure the draw length on a crossbow from the string at rest to the string fully cocked (i.e., same as power stroke). This just seemed wrong so I called the MNR and got the same response. I pointed out that this would exclude the 330 while permitting less powerful bows. Nonetheless I now have two responses from officials in the MNR of Ontario and will not be purchasing a 330. (I'll probably get the 380 which will give Excalibur more of my money so it's not all bad from their perspective I guess.)

-P.
Matrix 380
strum

Post by strum »

pstjohn wrote:For what it's worth, I had felt the definition of draw length in the 2014 Ontario Hunting Regs to be ambiguous so contacted the MNR via their web page and was informed that in the field they measure the draw length on a crossbow from the string at rest to the string fully cocked (i.e., same as power stroke). This just seemed wrong so I called the MNR and got the same response. I pointed out that this would exclude the 330 while permitting less powerful bows. Nonetheless I now have two responses from officials in the MNR of Ontario and will not be purchasing a 330. (I'll probably get the 380 which will give Excalibur more of my money so it's not all bad from their perspective I guess.)

-P.
wow confusing for sure. although I have no dog in that fight..i think they need to reassess their regulations. those rules suck.
why would the power stroke even matter?.. the poundage or the FPS seems like the way to regulate em.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
pstjohn

Post by pstjohn »

strum wrote:
pstjohn wrote:For what it's worth, I had felt the definition of draw length in the 2014 Ontario Hunting Regs to be ambiguous so contacted the MNR via their web page and was informed that in the field they measure the draw length on a crossbow from the string at rest to the string fully cocked (i.e., same as power stroke). This just seemed wrong so I called the MNR and got the same response. I pointed out that this would exclude the 330 while permitting less powerful bows. Nonetheless I now have two responses from officials in the MNR of Ontario and will not be purchasing a 330. (I'll probably get the 380 which will give Excalibur more of my money so it's not all bad from their perspective I guess.)

-P.
wow confusing for sure. although I have no dog in that fight..i think they need to reassess their regulations. those rules suck.
why would the power stroke even matter?.. the poundage or the FPS seems like the way to regulate em.
Strum - I agree, doesn't make much sense to me either.
Matrix 380
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Below is as crossbow draw lenght is stated in the regulations
I think the two you talked to at the MNR may need to find a new line of work.

2014 published REGs State:

"The draw length of a crossbow is measured along the bolt ramp (where the bolt rests) from the outer edge of the main limb, to the anchor point (release latch mechanism) at full draw. "

NOTE;
No mention of measuring from the string at rest.???

This type of misinformation is why I have downloaded the most up to date hunting regulations and Act to my smart phone and tablet.
Just in case I come across someone who needs a refresher on what is fact.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

just ordered a 330 and now feel like i got screwed!!!
fredd

Post by fredd »

just got my new matrix 330 . 720.00
pstjohn

Post by pstjohn »

colouredchameleon wrote:Below is as crossbow draw lenght is stated in the regulations
I think the two you talked to at the MNR may need to find a new line of work.

2014 published REGs State:

"The draw length of a crossbow is measured along the bolt ramp (where the bolt rests) from the outer edge of the main limb, to the anchor point (release latch mechanism) at full draw. "

NOTE;
No mention of measuring from the string at rest.???

This type of misinformation is why I have downloaded the most up to date hunting regulations and Act to my smart phone and tablet.
Just in case I come across someone who needs a refresher on what is fact.
That is indeed a direct quote from the regulations summary. However it is ambiguous in two ways (to me at least).

1) What is the 'main limb' I looked at numerous illustrations and found nothing labelled a 'main limb'. The Excaliburs have two limbs.

2) What is the 'outer edge'. I presumed it to mean where the two limbs meet the body, but realized that the tip *could* be considered an outer edge if I rotated my perspective 90 degrees.

Those two reasons are why I emailed the MNR (via their website). The response frankly surprised me, and a lot of folks in another thread on this forum also called that response into questions. So I called them to clarify the clarification. Got the same answer. Personally I'm not going to chance it and bought the 380 just this morning.

The young fellow at the shop I got the bow from tried calling his father, who is a CO, and see what he had to say about it but didn't get an answer.

Now it is *possible* both the guys I connected with are wrong, and regardless my feeling is a CO isn't going to be concerned about this in the field with a bow clearly capable of the task it's being used for. But in case I get the guy who had a fight with his wife that morning or is just pissed off at the world, I'm personally just not going to chance it.

But that's just me.

Cheers and happy hunting,
-P.
Matrix 380
johnnyo

Post by johnnyo »

Can't imagine Excalibur would release a crossbow, for the Ontario market, that wasn't legal for hunting. :roll: Reg's seem pretty clear to me. I'll be hunting with my 330 come Oct. 1.
Matrix 330
Diablo arrows
Boltcutter broadheads
pstjohn

Post by pstjohn »

johnnyo wrote:Can't imagine Excalibur would release a crossbow, for the Ontario market, that wasn't legal for hunting. :roll: Reg's seem pretty clear to me. I'll be hunting with my 330 come Oct. 1.

Hey Johnnyo,

I was posting in another thread on this topic too. young guy at the shop I bought the bow from was able to get his dad, a CO for the MNR, on the phone. They went back and forth on the matter for a bit, seemed at first the was also saying from string at rest but by end of conversation (~10min) had settled on where limbs attach to body to string fully cocked.

I thought the most telling thing, though, was that except for obvious use of a small bow (e.g., youth bow) the CO had never actually measured draw length on any type of bow in the field. More interested in the other specs.

That's all the info I have and not really an issue for me as I got the 380, but there it is FWIW.

Happy hunting,
-P.
Matrix 380
johnnyo

Post by johnnyo »

pstjohn wrote:
johnnyo wrote:Can't imagine Excalibur would release a crossbow, for the Ontario market, that wasn't legal for hunting. :roll: Reg's seem pretty clear to me. I'll be hunting with my 330 come Oct. 1.

Hey Johnnyo,

I was posting in another thread on this topic too. young guy at the shop I bought the bow from was able to get his dad, a CO for the MNR, on the phone. They went back and forth on the matter for a bit, seemed at first the was also saying from string at rest but by end of conversation (~10min) had settled on where limbs attach to body to string fully cocked.

I thought the most telling thing, though, was that except for obvious use of a small bow (e.g., youth bow) the CO had never actually measured draw length on any type of bow in the field. More interested in the other specs.

That's all the info I have and not really an issue for me as I got the 380, but there it is FWIW.

Happy hunting,
-P.
Got pretty much the same answer from a retired CO that I know. Only had an issue with someone using a small pistol sized x-bow years ago. Other than that, no measurements taken.

Good hunting to you also!
Matrix 330
Diablo arrows
Boltcutter broadheads