Do Excalibur strings EVER stop stretching ? ! ? !

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

offshore

Do Excalibur strings EVER stop stretching ? ! ? !

Post by offshore »

I put a new Excalibur Flemish Dyna Flight string on my Exocet about 6-8 months ago and have well over 250 shots on it, but I still have to put a twist or two in it about every other shooting session to keep the string an 1/8" off the bumpers. The last string I had, same kind, was the same way until it started getting straggly and I replaced it. Is this common for these strings and is there a way other than shooting or leaving the x-bow cocked for long periods of time to take the stretch out?
vixenmaster

Re: Do Excalibur strings EVER stop stretching ? ! ? !

Post by vixenmaster »

Thats the nature of the D97 string material, its called the creeper. About the time it stops the string is about shot, :lol: Have to get diff material made string
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Boo

Post by Boo »

There are a couple of ways to help yourself out.
First is by putting the string on a jig and leave it under more tension than the bow gives. Keep tightening the string every day and you'll see when the string does not creep as much as the first day you put it on the jig. Waxing and rubbing to get the string warm will help a lot.

The second method is to crank up the brace height after every shooting session. The higher the brace height the more your limbs are preloaded, the more tension on the string. Leave your stringing aid on the bow when you put it away. Make a mark with something like white paint on the side of the rail to denote your brace height. When you go to shoot, it's outright simple to adjust.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Boo wrote:There are a couple of ways to help yourself out.
First is by putting the string on a jig and leave it under more tension than the bow gives. Keep tightening the string every day and you'll see when the string does not creep as much as the first day you put it on the jig. Waxing and rubbing to get the string warm will help a lot.

The second method is to crank up the brace height after every shooting session. The higher the brace height the more your limbs are preloaded, the more tension on the string. Leave your stringing aid on the bow when you put it away. Make a mark with something like white paint on the side of the rail to denote your brace height. When you go to shoot, it's outright simple to adjust.
Or get a string from you :mrgreen:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

Get a string made with Rhino!!
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

JUSTANUFF wrote:Get a string made with Rhino!!
With the help of some good testers, I've found that Force 10 will be on the same level as Rhino.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I'll stay with Danny Millers stock string and keep twisting when needed :D
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I use BCY-X and get a lot of compliments on how little it creeps . The factory strings are slightly faster but never really stop creeping . I here Rhino is good material also .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have to try that BCY "X" too. I like Rhino, Fury, Force 10, XS2, pretty much in that order. As Boo said, pre-stretching does a world of wonders, no matter what you choose, and using your limbs is an easy way if you don't have a jig!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:I'll stay with Danny Millers stock string and keep twisting when needed :D
Excellent advice! Going to fancy strings using advanced materials isn't necessarily the right thing to do.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

The short answer to your question is 'No' the string does not stop stretching. I have found it will slow down a lot but will continue to stretch. Do as BOO suggested and mark the side of your riser where you want your brace height. I keep mine at 3/4" and used a red felt pen to mark it. Also, as BOO suggested, on a string that keeps stretching don't set the brace height exactly where you want it. Initially I will set my brace height at 1 1/4" and leave it for a day or two then start shooting it. When I've got about 50-75 shots out of it I'll adjust the brace height exactly. This is advice I was given and it's worked well for me. Good luck.

P.S.- a few months ago I posted the exact same question and I guaranty I wasn't the first. :wink
EDIT: my phone auto corrects and it capitalized boo...I wasn't yelling. Sorry.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
offshore

Post by offshore »

Thanks for all the input guys. So, in order to stretch the new string, (and I don't have a jig) could I hang the string using a hook on one loop and a suspended weight on the other. . .and how much weight? Any one have a method they use without having a jig or using the bow? ? ? Thanks again.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Use the bow as Boo said, it is really the easiest way. If you stretch a spare, use 300# maximum!
Set your string about 1/2" higher than your brace height, and cock it over night. A few days of that will settle it in to minimum creep mode!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:I'll stay with Danny Millers stock string and keep twisting when needed :D
Wes, stock string or Flemish? Just curious
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Wes, stock string or Flemish? Just curious

Both will stretch, I got one of each and both have been shot and twisted and lost count, but they do come around to very little stretch after awhile, someone wrote by the time it's done stretching it's wore out, I haven't seen this and I shoot a lot.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers