What's the best way to do ground up deer meat?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jdalenis

Re: What's the best way to do ground up deer meat?

Post by jdalenis »

I add olive oil, it binds the meat togather and is better for you than beef or pork>
wabi

Post by wabi »

I just grind/package/freeze it. We use it mostly for things like tacos & chili so it's fine straight.
wabi
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

Sometimes I just debone everything an Vacuum seal it up as chunks. Do whatever when ya get it out of the freezer.
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
rayman

Post by rayman »

Most of these deer around here are pretty lean.

Hamburger - I like to add about 10% either beef or pork fat. Pork fat does not stick to the inside of the grinder the way beef fat does.

Patty Sausage - I like to get a big Boston butt or two to mix in as well as about 10% pork fat. Leggs Old Plantation sausage seasoning mixed in well also.

Link Sausage - Take one batch of meat to a local meat shop late in the season when they are slow to make into smoked link sausage.

Heard of mixing in smoked bacon but never tried it.
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

Done with this buck! Got some killer huge roast, nice steak cuts, and ground up sausage and hamburger and whatever else like chilly and sick. Used y'all's advice with a boston butt- on sell so saved some there. Already tried it I only made 10 lbs and it's killer. Mixed some ground up deer with Boston butt and some without to see what all we like. Hopefully we will do most of it without anything added just use something to bind it for burgers and stuff. Now ready for another one.
"He is not a fool to gives the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot lose"
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

rayman wrote:
Heard of mixing in smoked bacon but never tried it.
Yes you can buy bacon ends and pieces in 3lb boxes at any walmart ...makes some good sausage when mixed with chandlers season mix.
Pintail

Post by Pintail »

Before I had to curtail my fat intake, I would add one pound of smoked bacon to every 5 pounds of venison. Remember to mark the packs that were mixed with any kind of fat as this will shorten the freezer life. Adding onion soup mix to two pounds of the ground venison makes a nice burger as well.
Have crossbows will travel
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

For burgers I've also chopped up bacon and mixed in with my deer....also some seasoned bread crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and steak seasoning. Bind it up with one or two eggs and mix away. Most delicious burgers ever. I never freeze this though. :D
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.