Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

b44mag

carbon arrows/bolts ?

Post by b44mag »

been searching and reading wow still have no clue what to get
old exomag cast riser new magtip limbs 400 grain min arrow
im wanting to use 100 / 125 grain broad heads

was looking at the zombies at 20 in. says 110 insert so 210 to 235 up front does that make them to much foc . Excalibur states 150 up front im confused :? :?
im learning but slow :lol: :lol:
help please
gendoc

Re: carbon arrows/bolts ?

Post by gendoc »

ok, you asked....to be honest, you must try them and find what your exomag
likes.
just like rifles, no 2 are the same when it comes to ammo or arra's.... :roll:

first, my opinion is aluminum shaft only !!! but 75% of the folks here
prefer carbon. and that's great, if that's what you like.... I don't.

all the FOC stuff is good, but in reality...its what you and your Excalibur
likes.
good luck
Last edited by gendoc on Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I use 20" Zombies for my Vortex with 110 grain inserts, 100 grain points, 420 total weight, very accurate, thunk when contacting deer, targets, etc.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
strum

Post by strum »

b44mag wrote:been searching and reading wow still have no clue what to get
old exomag cast riser new magtip limbs 400 grain min arrow
im wanting to use 100 / 125 grain broad heads

was looking at the zombies at 20 in. says 110 insert so 210 to 235 up front does that make them to much foc . Excalibur states 150 up front im confused :? :?
im learning but slow :lol: :lol:
help please
the zombies will be fine man. if your trying for 1/4 groups out to 100 yards then youll be trying all kinds of arrows. :shock: if you want a good solid target/hunting arrow with out crazy expectations ..you will be pleasantly surprised with the zombies..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
b44mag

Post by b44mag »

just a hunter stump shooter here :D no 100 yard shots for me at least not yet :wink:
thanks for the info it helped
thought about aluminum but thought about bending but I guess if you
don't hit the right spot it don't matter bent or broke :lol: :lol:
I think ill try some of both. any one have a recent danny miller price sheet ????
i seen the one posted when searching but not sure if its recent. arrows were 7 and 8 bucks a piece on the sheet i saw
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

zombies should work fine, but I think they would be over kill. I think you would have just as good a luck with the Black Eagle Executioners. They drilled holes in my old Exomag, I think the same bow just newr model with mag tip's from the factory. But 92 grain inserts and 125 grain Spitfires were what I used in it. The Executioners are just a little cheaper with same specs as the stiffer Zombies,,,,good luck.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
galamb

Post by galamb »

I prefer carbon bolts. I have a garage full of aluminum arrows from my (vertical) recurve that I buggered up over the years - could never effectively straighten them.

I just find with carbon that they either stay straight or they are toast. As an aside, I "assume" that any time I pull the trigger on a game animal that the bolt/broadhead will be "toast" - kinda the cost of the kill - if they survive, great, but I don't count on it.

Also agree that you need to find what you AND your bow likes to shoot. That can get expensive if you start out with the high end arrows.

I tested 8 or 9 different shafts - started with factory fletching and after testing re-fletched myself with some other options.

Ultimately I settled on Gold Tip Laser II's with extreme FOC. Not because numerous other combinations didn't work "fine", I just got the tightest groups in all kinds of different wind conditions shooting them.

A 2219 aluminum will work "ok" and if the grouping is "good enough" for what you want/expect - basically if YOU are happy with them, they are economical enough (can buy them individually for about $4.75 each).

If you are looking for a "heavier" bolt in carbon then you do have a few choices in arrows costing "under 7 bucks a crack" (weights are given with a 100 grain broadhead) -

Gold Tip Laser III's (428 grains) or even IV's (491 grains) at about $6.75 per.

Beman "Pork Chops" (400 grains @ about $5.75 per).

Carbon Express Piledrivers (442 grains @ $5.90 per)

Places like Lancaster Archery (http://www.lancasterarchery.com/) will sell you as little as a single arrow, so you can mix/match if you want - get a couple of each of 3 different bolts and see what you like best....
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
b44mag

Post by b44mag »

great info lamb thank you
good prices :)
Dale

Post by Dale »

I have a few carbon fiber Firebolts, and some Easton 2219 aluminum bolts. Using an Exomax. My crossbow has split an arrow using either bolts at 20 yards. I had 150 grain fieldpoints on the bolts. The aluminum bolts I guess are a bit heavier than the carbon bolts, therefor are a bit slower, but carry more energy. At least that is my understanding from the arrow selection found o this site. My friend said he likes the aluminum bolts better for hunting. He says the carbon bolts seem to get hung up in the deer, where as the aluminum 2219 generally pass right through. I am using the 150 grain bolt cutters for hunting on the Easton aluminum 2219 bolts.
I an also brand new at this and come here to learn as much as I can.
Exomax
Easton 2219 bolts
150 grain Bolt cutters
galamb

Post by galamb »

I would suggest that if someone has noted carbon "getting hung up" IN deer compared with aluminum it is in fact the "weight difference" that resulted in a pass through (of the aluminum) and not the material.

When you get blood on a carbon arrow it is "considerably" more slippery (less friction/drag) than aluminum. Plus, "most times", the shaft diameter of a carbon is smaller than an aluminum = less resistance to passing through.

Many shoot carbon to get the faster speed with the lighter arrow.

To do a fair comparison you would have to shoot an aluminum and a carbon of the "same weight".

If that was the case, the carbon would pass through "easier" than the aluminum.

So you have to be careful when making a comparison when you are not comparing "the same thing".

If the aluminum arrows your buddy is shooting are heavier than the carbon's he had issues with, I am not surprised that the carbons "hung up".
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use aluminum (2216s) in my Phoenix. Haven't checked the new batch I fletched to use this year, but they should be very close to 400gr with 100gr points.

Most of the bending comes from removing arrows from targets. A Danny Miller arrow puller will solve that problem. :wink:
wabi
Drew

Post by Drew »

Check my post "What's Your Arra Recipe" for ideas on what the folks on here are shooting. It'll give you some ideas on shaft length, fletching, nock and inserts, etc.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
b44mag

Post by b44mag »

thanks drew :D
good read learning more
almost ready to order

thinking 20in. zombies with 92 grain inserts 4in. pink or flo orange vanes flat aluminum screw thread nocks using 100 or 125 grain 3 blade muzzys

wanting to be over 400 and under 450 with decent FOC
should be enough speed and weight from the old exomag to get pass through
ifin I do my part :lol: :lol:
I type old exomag but with new limbs and string I guess its a new exomag :lol: :lol:

now figuring on if i can get that and where to order :)
cevans

Post by cevans »

Check out ebay for best price on pre-fleched from factory zombies with free shipping. Got mine in 3 business days as they ship fast too. Total weight of 20 inch with 100g. slick trick broadhead is 419 and all of them weighed exactly the same with one 0.1g. heavier. Can't beat that for exactness. I really like the way they shoot too as I have had the Firebolts and Tenpoint pro elite carbon arrows, but these are the best shooting I have found out of my Exomax.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
Drew

Post by Drew »

>>Cevens, that is exactly how I get my zombies. $49 for half dozen .001 arrows at the door in 3days.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads