Easton FMJ Bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BoltCutter

Easton FMJ Bolts

Post by BoltCutter »

Hello I was going to purchase some Easton FMJ Bolts however the dealer only supplies them with half moon nocks, and due to my location cannot easily get hold of any flat nocks. I was wondering if I could use the Easton RPS Inserts as flat nocks for the bolts, and if so which size? I cannot seem to find much info on which inserts fit which bolt.

Thanks,
Ryan
Ibex SMF
Gold Tip Laser II
galamb

Re: Easton FMJ Bolts

Post by galamb »

Why not shoot them with moon nocks?

I can dig out the specs for you on the bolts - I tried/tested them a couple of years back. They shot well, are a good heavy bolt but I just couldn't justify the price of them (they weren't 4 bucks a bolt better than the next "most expensive" competitor).

**(checked my spec sheets - the FMJ's have an inside diameter of .285")**

After a few semi-dry fires with flat nocks/flemish strings/various bolts with various factory nocks, I have shot MOON nocks "exclusively" for the past 3 or 4 years with "zero" adverse effects.

I don't buy into the "ease of loading a flat nock" as being some over riding reason not to use moon's - they are easy to load - Ya, you have that bother of having to put the cock feather down.

On the other hand you absolutely have positive contact on the string and unlike flat nocks, regardless of their state of repair, I have never had a string jump or slide under a moon nock.

Your bolts, your choice - but personally, I would give them a try "as is" - you might like it..
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
nchunterkw

Re: Easton FMJ Bolts

Post by nchunterkw »

You can use inserts as flat nocks, or you can just cut down the moon nocks to be flat. Finish them off with an arrow squaring tool.

I too have shot both types of nocks,and have definitely found flat nocks to be more accurate. It is the way the bow was designed. The string rides on the rail, so unless the moon nock sits exactly so the middle of the nock hits the string, the string will be pushing on part of the "moon". How will that effect flight.....you will have to see.

I also shoot the FMJ at larger game. It's a good shaft and the heaviest I can find without making a custom one. What is your application? Mabye the folks on here could offer some alternatives that would allow you to get exactly what you want.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><