Peanut Butter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sliver

Peanut Butter

Post by Sliver »

I was reading a little something the other night,, and it was talk about using peanut butter to attract Deer.. anyone else ever tried it? or heard about this ?
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Yes Sliver, I have and do use peanut butter to attract Deer, I buy the cheapest I can find and smear it on the sides of the trees around my stands. I have also put it on small square boards by my corn piles and feeders. Beware racoons also love peanut butter :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Thanks Gary L
I'll make sure I take a little along on my outings

Harry
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
johnbuck9

attract deer

Post by johnbuck9 »

Yep it sure does work, but be carefull if you have any blackies in the area,
Bear, you will have them in your lap, also you can try vanilla, deer love the scent, get the imation the real mccoy is a bit costly.
I seen a attractor one time I couldint believe
A fella took a old pillow case and filled it with tabbaco leaves and hung it in a tree, and after a rain the juices would run down onto the ground, well you should have seen that I could not believe my eyes, those deer had that ground some kinda tore up, unreal, he also uses a plastic bucket and punches holes init so the tabbaco jiuce can run out, I dont know why but I can tell you for sure they do go crazy over it, and thay can smell it a long way off :D :shock: :D
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Hell lova idea Sliver. But like Johnbuck9 says it'll likely bring in the Blackies which we have on our property. I'll get myself a Bear licence along with a deer licence and take the first one that comes along. An old hunting partner of mine says he wants some bear meat if I can shoot one.

Although by law I don't need a Bear licence if I shoot it on my own private property, the Game Wardens will take the head, claws, and gall bladder, leaving me with the hide and meat. That's so that I can't sell the animal parts on the Asian market.

Now I'm wondering if the bears come in, likely the deer will stay away. Any thoughts on that ?

Grey Owl
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Ummmmmmmmmmm..... peanut butter. You may even attract hungry hunters!
Rickster

Post by Rickster »

Very interesting about the peanut butter but is it more effective (and specific to deer) if you use apple cider?

Post by guest »

Also look at dog food, the cheaper the better. Fried barley and by-products (dog food) has much more odor than corn or most other lures or feed. Its easy to transport, hand casting does it all.
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

I should start an advertising campaign for reese peanut butter cups? Maybe the deer are making those circles in the crop fields!!! Ho long before season do you have to put the peanut butter out?
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Mighty Mooser wrote:I should start an advertising campaign for reese peanut butter cups? Maybe the deer are making those circles in the crop fields!!! Ho long before season do you have to put the peanut butter out?
Mighty Mooser I use it off and on all the time here for the wild life critters, I would think the best time for the deer would be anytime starting a couple weeks before the season, and everytime yo went to your stand/s.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

bstout wrote:I wouldn't be fooling with peanut butter cups or any other kind of chocolate. Chocolate can be super hard on critters (feed some to your dog and see what happens). As far as dog food goes, the coyote's will be showing up from miles around. That'll really bring the deer in! :shock: Actually I don't believe in baiting deer. Its illegal around here to do so and I'm glad for that. People make these gigantic garbage piles that attract everything including the homeless then leave them there to rot like the park ranger or some govt. official is going to come along and clean up after them. The crap just lays there and stinks. Nothing beats natural food sources. I look for the acorns on opening day. They are like deer candy. They love them and they know they're suppose to be there and it isn't some sort of trap! :D
bstout I only put out corn, and peanut butter at times. I would never use Chocolate and do think Mighty Mooser was just kidding about reese peanut butter cups :wink: As for the gigantic garbage piles, I have never seen that around here but reckon if one was baiting bears that could be a problem. I do also use acorns as most years I have them falling by the bushel baskets.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

I was only joking. The Peanut butter cups are for me!! I have used soya bean and corn, but the peanut butter would be good too!!!
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

A real deer magnet is a bucket of sweet feed for horses. This is a mixture of corn and molasses and other grains available at your local Co-Op stores. It is sold in a 45 kg bag for about $14 Can. Real sticky stuff when handling it so wear gloves but guaranteed to bring the deer in and they will clean out that bucket overnight. :D

Grizzly-papa
Life is too short to spend it indoors!
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Hey Grizzly-Papa,

Where can I buy some of this 'sweet feed' stuff? Does Richie's Feed and Seed on Innes Road sell it? I picked up 2 of my salt blocks there a couple of weeks back but never thought to ask about horse feed.

Thanks,
Nick
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

That sweet feed stuff works great :!: I picked up a 45kg bag for $10.00 at the local Co-Op. For anyone in the Newmarket area it's located on Lesile just south of Davis dr.