CAREFUL

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wcbarker

CAREFUL

Post by wcbarker »

Went hunting the other day On way to stand there was deer everywhere so I loaded an arrow walked to my stand and pulled up my bow. You guessed it it was still loaded. In all the excitement I wanted to get in quickly and forgot to unload it. What is worst I hauled it up by the stirrup.

So please be careful out there this year and slow down and enjoy.
I know this will not happen to me again.
woodmnctry

Re: CAREFUL

Post by woodmnctry »

Ooof!-----------THAT is very scary -- I have found that it is so easy to forget some very basic steps with these bows --- I have handled almost every hunting firearm one can think of but these horizontal shaft slinger bring a whole different spectrum to the situation ---
G
rein1

Post by rein1 »

Come on people,, no excuses for doing stupid crap like that.. I suggest you stop hunting and stay home before you kill yourself or some body else.... This isn't a oops look what I just did ... plain ignorance
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Ya, that's a little scary. Easy to forget the simple things sometime but an incident like that always serves as a good eye opener. Glad that nothing bad happened.

I hunt open country so I don't even cock my bow till I get to my stand. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

They always say the accidents happen to the beginners and to the old timers at it. Can happen at any time. I think you just used up one of your nine lives. Wow. :D
884savage

Post by 884savage »

I certainly don't suggest doing this ever, but in all honesty, has anyone on here EVER had a bow that was cocked with no arrow on it dry fire while hauling it into their stand or at any time for that matter? I agree, scary, and don't do it again.
DES

Post by DES »

Yea that is not a view I'd like to have, staring at the business end of an arrow. Glad nothing bad happened.
Excal 350 SE
Stryker LS 390
Scorpyd Vent 150
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

rein1 wrote:Come on people,, no excuses for doing stupid crap like that.. I suggest you stop hunting and stay home before you kill yourself or some body else.... This isn't a oops look what I just did ... plain ignorance
Rein 1 kind of harsh on a guy who is trying to educate/remind people by sharing his mistake.
I thank him for sharing even though no one likes to admit they had a brain fart.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Years ago I had my Excal cocked and an arrow loaded as I walked in. I found the safety somehow had been moved to the OFF position when I checked it after the walk.
From that point on my policy has been to carry the bow with the cocking rope on the string ready to cock, but not cocked until I'm either ready to shoot or to pull it up to the stand.

I may miss a shot opportunity for not having it cocked & loaded someday (never happened yet), but that beats chancing an accident.
wabi
munch

Post by munch »

I watched a video posted on another site a couple years ago of a fellows bear kill. He had let the bow down and was going to climb out of his stand when he saw a nice bear coming . Fellow had some sort of camera hooked to hus hat to video . He leaned over the stand and you could watch the bow come back up the string with an arrow in the rail pointing right in his face all the way up . I cod picture the bow slip and discharge when it hit the ground . Just hope that was a one time deal and he just forgot to unload
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
wcbarker

Post by wcbarker »

rein1 wrote:Come on people,, no excuses for doing stupid crap like that.. I suggest you stop hunting and stay home before you kill yourself or some body else.... This isn't a oops look what I just did ... plain ignorance
OH sorry you are perfect and have never done wrong.
But you are forgiven
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

we have all made mistakes hunting, some big and some small. telling your story is educational for everyone, and anyone who says they never screwed up hunting is just full of crap!
Boo

Post by Boo »

jparchery wrote:we have all made mistakes hunting, some big and some small. telling your story is educational for everyone, and anyone who says they never screwed up hunting is just full of crap!
Well said!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

SEW wrote:
gerald strine wrote:
Rein 1 kind of harsh on a guy who is trying to educate/remind people by sharing his mistake.
I thank him for sharing even though no one likes to admit they had a brain fart.
X2.

We've all made mistakes, even stupid mistakes in life. This person was just trying to be helpful.
X3, time to relax. No need to jump at his throat. The mans got the best of intentions by sharing his experience.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

I was walking to my stand with a buddy the other day. Cocked the bow in his back yard. Halfway there he said, "don't you carry that thing with an arrow in it"? Other than still hunting or already in the stand I never have a arrow in the bow. Thanks for the post it's still a good reminder.