Help With Choice ???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grizzly72

Help With Choice ???

Post by grizzly72 »

Hi All, I am gonna sell my equinox and buy one of the matrix bows.. I am having a tough time deciding between the 380 and 330. Danny Miller really likes the 330 and I was thinking the 380.. Seems like a lot less problems with the 380. Gimme the pros and cons with both.. Thanks Very Much..
paulaboutform

Re: Help With Choice ???

Post by paulaboutform »

I don't think one bow is inherently prone to more or less problems. If anything the 330 has less stress demanded of it. Ultimately, I think it's the luck of the draw as to being problem free or not. I shoot the M380 and absolutely love it. I've had some issues and they've been resolved. I've also had some issues with brand new vehicles and they were resolved as well. You see where I'm going. Try both bows and see which feels better to you. There's no wrong choice. If I'm in doubt I'll generally go for more power. That's just me though. Good luck. :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
grizzly72

Post by grizzly72 »

Thankyou Sir. I was just thinking maybe the 330 would be better. My equinox is really really hard on servings. How is the 380 on servings.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have the 405 & 355, most of the issues are really new owners not knowing how to setup their Matrix models. I don't see one Matrix model being any better or worse than anudder. Its jus about the speed/power you want & can you cock it or like me have to use a C2 crank to start off with.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
grizzly72

Post by grizzly72 »

no problems cocking them. thanks
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

grizzly72 wrote:Thankyou Sir. I was just thinking maybe the 330 would be better. My equinox is really really hard on servings. How is the 380 on servings.
I do go through servings. I think this is more an issue of the trigger needing more polishing than the bow. In all fairness, I probably shoot a little more than many. Unless you're shooting hundreds of arrows a week I don't think you'll notice excessive serving wear. I do suggest that you get a stringing aid if you haven't already got one. Maintaining a proper brace height is crucial.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

What are you going to hunt primarily and how far are you comfortable shooting?
grizzly72

Post by grizzly72 »

Hi, I hunt deer here in pa. Even with my equinox and I shoot out to 50 yards, Most of my deer are shot at 20 30 yards. 40 is kinda max.
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

grizzly72 wrote:Hi All, I am gonna sell my equinox and buy one of the matrix bows.. I am having a tough time deciding between the 380 and 330. Danny Miller really likes the 330 and I was thinking the 380.. Seems like a lot less problems with the 380. Gimme the pros and cons with both.. Thanks Very Much..
Have you considered the 355? It will fire a 400 plus grain arrow over 325 feet a second. More than enough power for anything in PA. Also there is a lot of excitement over the new micro bow that just came out. I have yet to get my hands on one to check it out. 380 comes with the ADF mount REDS and a cheek piece. The 330 and 355 do not. 330 and 355 will be a little easier on the serving(less poundage). A well made custom flemish string will serve you well. I guess you roll the dice on the trigger on any of them. Tough decision to make. The 355 is the middle ground between the 330 and the 380.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Big difference you will notice with a 380 is the speed/ trajectory mine shoots out yo 90 yards no problem. If you are only hunting whitetail I'd say the 380 is overkill energy wise. All I'm hearing is micro is the way to jo if huntin white tails. I have moose to chase so I'm all for the extra energy. Best part of your problem is you can't go wrong with any of your choices!
galamb

Post by galamb »

Agree - if this is going to be Bambi shooting/some backyard bag shooting bow I would go with the 330.

Yes, it still has a 220 lb draw weight and the 380 is "only" 40 lbs more, but drawing 40 pounds less all the time is going to be easier on strings, servings, limbs (and in a few years, your bicep muscles when you are pulling the cocker).

(however, probably not an issue if you "trade in" your bow every couple of years for the latest/greatest)

And if you think the 330 is "light for Bambi", I hunt with a 150lb Vixen II. The 330 packs nearly double the kinetic energy at 25 yards.

So in reality, the 330 is "already more bow than you need" for whitetails.

If we were discussing guns the term "magnumitis" would get tossed around with pretty much all of the Matrix line.

I figure if I have to shoot anything more than 35'ish yards at a deer it's time to get out the rifle anyhow. Too much can go wrong by the time the arrow gets past that range.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
grizzly72

Post by grizzly72 »

Thanks guys, I may hold off and see what the micro's feel like.
hugger

Post by hugger »

Go shoot a Micro before you buy.

Micro
Micro
Micro
335 Micro, ya baby, I am in love all over again! (Don 't tell my wife)
175# Exocet, she's old but works like a Swiss watch

The Horizontal Hunter
grizzly72

Post by grizzly72 »

Yes I liked the equinox except for it eating servings and I had 2 replacement scopes. never had luck with the scopes from excel. I may just shoot the mini before I order one. Thanks.