Serving wear

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Peacemaker

Serving wear

Post by Peacemaker »

I put a new sExcal factory string on the matrix 380 late last season. Maybe 100 shots on it, give or take. It stretched for a while, but has been stable with a crapload of twists in it for months. It is well waxed in the appropriate locations.

This season I have been "hunting" my suburban backyard just about every morning and every evening. So, that's two cockings and two decockings almost every day since early October; a few actual shots taken, of course, and thus the happy freezer.

The serving though has two clear wear marks where the retaining/trigger prongs (forgive me if that is not the proper terminology) hold the string back until the trigger is squeezed. I gave the string an extra half twist to expose a different side of the serving...but it didn't take long for the marks to appear there too. How do you know when it is time to replace the string? There are no other signs of wear or damage on the string or the serving. I know it is only a few bucks but the stretching and re-sighting is a PITA that I would like to avoid for as long as possible.

Thanks.
strum

Re: Serving wear

Post by strum »

I would say that those marks are dents. with out seeing them I cant say how much life you have but as long as you cant see the string strands you should be ok .sure don't want to get in them and cause a broken strand..
you just have to realize that with the power of these bows ,serving is always an issue. you need to have a spare string or two ready .. most of us pre stretch and shoot a couple of strings and keep one or two as backup.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I agree with all that Strum said. Great advice on the spare strings. I'll add that dents in the serving are normal but as soon as it flattens to a point that it looks like there's separation, stop shooting and re serve it or put on the new string.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
galamb

Post by galamb »

You have two little metal fingers holding a string that's attached to limbs that take 260 lbs of pull to get them to their "cocked" location and then ask those little fingers to hold the string there, sometimes for hours.

I would be surprised if there "wasn't" a dent or two in the serving, or a cut or some fraying/wear.

Shooting a bow with that much draw weight is going to be hard on all it's components with the "weakest" facing (death) the quickest.

I see that as part of the cost of shooting, in many cases, more bow than is needed. I get it though - I pay the gas costs for a pick-up truck when a sub-compact car would cover over 90% of my transport needs :)
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Mtnfun

Post by Mtnfun »

I have the same issue with serving wearing thin at latches. I made my own string jig and get yourself some angel majesty serving and reserve as needed. It is pretty easy to do. Just keep string really tight in jig and serving tight.
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

That's what I thought that the answer would be. I have looked into re-serving myself....and it appears that I would need a serving tool and a string jig. The Bohning all-in-one serving kit seems like it has everthing needed and is cheap....but perhaps the "jig" is really only usable for compound bows?

Any other recommendations for a starter serving kit that is workable for Matrix (and exocet, I suppose) strings? I did a search and found some old information, but with varying opinions and dead links.....

thanks.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

contact Munch on the forum. he will be glad to help :)
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Boo has posted a jig you can build that costs about $20. 1-2x4, 2 pcs 1"teel and 2 clothes line hooks. See link below. That allows you to put "a bunch" of tension on the string while you are serving it which will make it last much longer. Danny Miller will sell you a jig spool of AM .036" which is what you want for a 380 string. He has serving tools as well. I started doing it last year and it is really easy. Boo also has a video showing you his method. Link below.

Jig Link
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... erving+jig

Video Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZILKLiGloCYOn Youtube I believe.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><