Anyone else stalking in the snow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ch312

Anyone else stalking in the snow?

Post by ch312 »

As usual, I've ignored deer hunting until the snow hit the ground so I can track and stalk some nicely pressured deer before tagging one with the Exomax. Luckily, the snow came early this winter and I have been out 4 times so far seeing tons of deer sign, especially buck activity, at 3 different public hunting grounds.

So far I have spent hours to only get within 60-75 yards of 3 bucks (4,6, and 8 pointers), 50-55 yards of a couple does, and spitting distance of a fawn. These public land deer seem to be 10x more cautious and spooky than any deer I have hunted on private land.

It's definitely a challenge, but the rush that comes with success cannot be matched by any other style of deer hunting.

Anyone else punishing themselves? :D
j.krug

Re: Anyone else stalking in the snow?

Post by j.krug »

Not me. I hunt a small open farm which really isn't suited to stalking. I just sit in my tree and see what saunters by. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Up in New York you can tunnel under em :shock: I wish we had some snow I like hunting in it
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Berger

Post by Berger »

We still have snow on the ground in the Ottawa area, and I sat in a blind for 2 hours after work. Lots of sign on in the snow, but nothing appeared.
Cheers!

Berger
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I hunt small farms also . not good for stalking so I just sit in the blind and wait .so far so good for me :)
W.M.
Berger

Post by Berger »

What a difference a couple days makes. No more tracking in the snow... :D

Snow...

No snow...

Cheers!

Berger
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I just checked the weather for my upcoming hog hunt and Wednesday is the warmest at -12 C followed by snow and -20, -28, and -25 C.. Won't be stalking in it though, in the blind for me (I'm happy to say). The cold should get them moving pretty good. I've still hunted whitetails in the snow before and it can be very effective if it's not crunchy, otherwise it's pretty tough going. Best of luck for great success. :D
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.