extra tag farse

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cdngunner

Post by cdngunner »

cdngunner... wrote:Sorry for the "Bite me"
Darn you can't edit if you haven't signed in.

again sorry for the bite me thing, just having a bad day and when I hear people say they have more rights to something that belongs to all of us it just rubs me the wrong way.

Unless you bought it and raised it it aint yours.

And yes I would like to hear more peoples opinions on this
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Here in our province, we have a problem with CWD. Certain areas have way to many deer. So why then do they make it tough for foreigners to come and hunt? Why do Americans have to join up with a licenced Outfitter and pay any where from $2600- $4500 to hunt. Why do hunters from Ontario, for God's sake can only hunt in the latter part of our rifle season? One side of their mouth, there saying we have a serious problem with a deer disease (which could affect all of North America, if left unchecked) and on the other they make it harder for outsiders to come and help thin out our herds? In large part I blame Saskatchewan hunters, who are bucking anyone coming in this province to hunt our game. They want it all for themselves, they want light hunting pressure so the bucks can grow big, (which they are). Now that's greedy!!

For our family, we generally eat only about 2-3 deer a year. The cowboys in the Government can give me all the free deer tags they want, in the end I'll only shoot 2-3 deer anyway.

But it would sure be nice if I could get 10 additional deer tags and then I could invite who ever I want to come hunt on my land. I'D LOVE TO HAVE 10 FORUM MEMBERS COME TO MY PLACE TO HUNT, CANADA OR THE US. But you can't have that, the damn Outfitters would cry blue murder that were destroying their occupation.

Its all about money, something I refuse to get involved with.

Grey Owl
ranger66

Post by ranger66 »

I do agree that we don't own the wildlife on our property, but if they (the deer) decide that my property has sufficient habitat for them and decide to take up residency there, who is gonna manage that population, hmmmmm, not someone who doesn't have permission to hunt it.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Something I forgot to add to my thread. Like I said I would dearly love to have some forum members come and hunt on my land for free, at any time during the hunting season. At one point this spring I wanted to get a Buffalo hunt going on my place. There were many reasons, the best one being, I have $5000.00-$10,000.00 dollars of equipment work, fencing etc. to do on my property. That was one way of getting it done, by generating extra income, to accomplish it.

The Gov. would let me have the Buffalo Hunt, but not a deer hunt. I'm not an Outfitter, and live in the wrong zone.

This was not a get rich quick scheme I plotted.

Grey Owl
cdngunner

Post by cdngunner »

ranger66 wrote:I do agree that we don't own the wildlife on our property, but if they (the deer) decide that my property has sufficient habitat for them and decide to take up residency there, who is gonna manage that population, hmmmmm, not someone who doesn't have permission to hunt it.
And like I have said, if this is the case, you take your EVIDENCE to the MNR and if you have prooven that they are damaging your crops, they will give the landowner or someone the landowner gives permission to, the right to get ride of the PESTS.

so with this in mind why do you need more tags.

If animals are not a Pest or damaging your crops then you should apply the same as the rest of us. and again "Property Owners" already get a guarenteed tag.

So again

you get your farm license -------------------1 deer
you get your normal Hunting tag -----------1 deer
Pest control (example) --------------10 deer
================================
Do some math = 12 deer

NOW you want to get MORE TAGS

Seems GREEDY

Post by #16 »

I don"t think you can buy both a farmers and a regular license,it"s one or the other. A farmers license is cheaper to purchase thats all.

Brad
cdngunner.....

Post by cdngunner..... »

You may be right but here it says that four tags are guarenteed to farmer and immediate family!

so our total is 14 deer now!

Dealing with nuisance animals:

The new Act allows farmers or members of their immediate family to deal with nuisance animals on their own land either personally or by using an agent. Under the new Act, a farmer may hire or ask someone to deal with nuisance animals. The person hired or asked is the agent and must have authorization from MNR. Many of the people commonly used as agents are already authorized by the regulations to act as agents. They are:

Licensed trappers
An employee or agent of the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals appointed under the OSPCA Act.
A member of a farmer's immediate family
A person whose main business is removing nuisance animals.
Other persons may also act as agents but will require individual authorization before the are allowed to act. Individuals interested in becoming authorized agents should contact the local MNR district office for more information.

Extended hunting seasons and special consideration for farmers

The new Act reflects a continuing effort to provide farmers with additional tools to help reduce crop damage caused by deer.

In the prime agricultural areas of southern Ontario, extended deer seasons which allow deer hunting with a variety of equipment, such as bows, shotguns and muzzle loaders, run from October 1st to December 31st in many Wildlife Management Units. As well, special provisions that allow a hunter to kill two deer in some areas continue and may be expanded if required.

Farmers and up to three members of their immediate family are guaranteed a validation tag to participate in the controlled deer hunt that applies to the area where they farm. Farmers may also purchase a deer hunting licence valid throughout the County or Regional Municipality in which they own land at a substantially reduced fee.

These special considerations recognize that farmers provide the habitat, and in many cases, the access to the land upon which the successful southern Ontario deer management program so depends.

Farmers may protect their property from deer damage

Farmers may protect their crops from deer if they are experiencing significant damage. In such situations, a farmer will first need to obtain a Deer Removal Permit issued by MNR. In order to qualify for a permit, a farmer must meet the definition of a "farmer" as defined by the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. In addition, a farmer must have suffered significant crop damage and tried other ways of controlling deer, such as allowing hunters on the property during open season for deer hunting. Farmers may use an agent to harass or kill deer under a Deer Removal Permit but such agents must meet certain criteria.

To find out more, contact your local MNR district office
cdngunner....

Post by cdngunner.... »

Just reead thru that myself and noticed this

Farmers and up to three members of their immediate family are guaranteed a validation tag to participate in the controlled deer hunt that applies to the area where they farm. Farmers may also purchase a deer hunting licence valid throughout the County or Regional Municipality in which they own land at a substantially reduced fee.

Please read this part "Farmers may also", also, being operative word here

So now we are at 15 deer!
pro wheel

Post by pro wheel »

I never once said they were a nuisance deer.
All i'm saying i would like first dibs at a surplus tag, if it wasn't for landowners that allow hunting there would be a pile of people packed into public land.
Next time you are hunting from a stand on property that belongs to someone else ask yourself if you think you should be entitled to the surplus tags before the owners land you are sitting on.
cdngunner...

Post by cdngunner... »

So what you are saying is that you and your family are not happy with the 4 + tags that you could possibly get and you want more on top.

I have hunted many properties. The properties owners who are also hunters rarely let others hunt their properties. Friends and family being the exception. I know I have done this myself. So this leaves non hunting farmers letting hunters on their properties.

This also means that you think that you should get x number extra tags because you own and hunt the land and yet the neighbour who does not hunt, but lets someone on his land to hunt cant get rid of his deer because you want first dibs at the extra tags.

What about the non hunting farmer who would get some extra meat for christmas if the hunter hunting his property had the extra tag.

The idea is to get rid of surplus deer not only on your farm but also on farms belonging to non hunters.

The system is fair as it stands.

My opinion!
DeerHunter850

Post by DeerHunter850 »

I understand both sides of the issue and my only comment regardless of whether or not I agree with either side, is that we all had the same opportunity. Again not agreeing with but knowing the rules and the process I was dialing the phone from 12:01am and got through at about 3:00am........and got an extra tag for 82A. Now the interesting part.....the land I hunt on in 82A and 84, the people that own the land did't even get around to applying for a doe tag let alone even attempting to get an extra tag, but somehow I am a greedy bad person for doing so....I think not!
Rick Teal

Post by Rick Teal »

This is the type of issue that's very divisive among hunters when we should be looking towards unity.

It's easy to say that "Those out-of-towners" shouldn't be able to hunt my deer (or moose) when I can't get a tag. This is a very selfish attitude in my opinion, and could lead to a real lack of unity among those of us who shoot and hunt.

Right now, in Ontario, its been decided that "local" hunters should get more adult moose tags than those who live outside the area where the seasons are held. Northerners think this is their due, and southerners think its discriminatory. Just because you currently live in the north doesn't mean you have a longer personal and/or family history of hunting than someone who now lives in the south.

When hunting licence fees were first set up in Ontario, it was under the proviso that the money would go into a fund that was used to compensate property owners for damage and crop loss. But this meant that the land owner didn't have any investment in (or ownership of) the game on his property. Its too bad we don't have that set-up today.

What I suggest is that we cool the jets on this type of thing, and spend our time and energy fighting our real enemies.
Digger

Post by Digger »

I get one deer tag a year and thats all I want. If i pick up a second tag its to go hunting with friends and any deer I harvest will be shared with them and the land owner. How many deer is not enough for you Pro Wheel, the way I read your post you dont want southeners and non residence in your area till you take your own quota.

Digger

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
ranger66

Post by ranger66 »

I think what prowheel is tryin to say is that its not a matter of greed, its a matter of management for each wmu and a little curtousy(sp?) for the landowner in the wmu. As everyone in ontario has the privledge to get the regular tags, its just the surplus tags that landowner hunters should be able to purchase them first, lets say give them 1-2 days to call in and whatever is left for that particular wmu should be sold to whomever wants them, thats all. The surplus tags are there to controll the deer numbers, so who do you think has the better opportunity to possibly hunt everyday, morning or evening or weekends to help out with the management of our deer herd, the landowner-hunter.
Digger you say if you harvest a deer with your second tag, that thats the one you will share with friends you hunt with, and landowners, well wouldn't it be better if you just shared your first harvest with the landowner first, then you could share the second tag with you hunting friends, and landowner if he wants some more, thats the way we do it, landowner comes first even if after the gun hunt there is only one deer hanging between us, landowners come first. Who do you think feeds these deer all summer and fall, they should have a taste of what they are growin on there property. I don't like hunting public land so we keep the landowners happy, and everyone is happy. Thats the way I see it. And this is my final post on this subject.

I see dumb people too, some of them DO post here!
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

FARMERS not landowners first.

We loose $ when the deer eat from our fields that were planted with our cash. DONT KID YOURSELF RE-SEEDING IS EXPENSIVE ($800+an acre)

The Farm tags are compensation for us, there for I feel things are right.

I dont buy a farmers tag because I also hunt across the street in a different WMU.

I dont feel that someone who bought 1000 acres of bush in the middle of nowhere should get a moose tag over the person who sold their hunting property to pay for hospital bills for their sick child (TRUE STORY). In both cases no one is harvesting any crops, so no one looses.
-Richard-