Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fredd

eotech 512 crossbow holographic sight

Post by fredd »

has any buddy tried these sights?
backnwhack

Re: eotech 512 crossbow holographic sight

Post by backnwhack »

I have. Typical Eotech product, excellent quality, built like a tank, you never worry about reliability. Batteries last for hundreds of hours. The "ranging" reticle actually works quite well when there's no time for a range finder. I really like how the sight looks on crossbow, it's size seems to fit the scale of the bow. The only thing I would change is I would like just a single dot better, the sight picture seems to be a little crowded to my eye. I have an extra in like new shape that I would make you a screaming deal on if you want to try one.
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I have've never seen a crossbow model in person, but I used a standard AR Eotech 512 and really like it. My only problem is with low light. With no magnification, it's very hard to see your target through the screen. (I mean really low light.)

I ended up changing mid season to a Leupold VXIII 1.5-5 with an illuminated reticle, but I really prefer to shoot with the Eotech.
backnwhack

Post by backnwhack »

LOL, my eotech is now sold! Wow, lots of interest!
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i have the xbow one its really nice but in the last year i have had some serious. eye problems . may have to sell it.
Fatboy111

Post by Fatboy111 »

I really like mine. It's been banged around and holds zero fine. Works well rain or shine and batteries last hundreds of hours. I shoot up to 60 yards accurately so for me, the magnification is not needed.
Bigship

Post by Bigship »

I just ordered one along with the G33 magnifier. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will fit the Micro's rail!
Patriot*

Post by Patriot* »

Bigship wrote:I just ordered one along with the G33 magnifier. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will fit the Micro's rail!
Bigship,
Please post up pics after install. I am interested in this set up for my micro.
Thanks!
Genesis 27:3
M/380 xtra Real Tree
Micro 335 Real Tree
Micro 335 Nightmare
Axiom 305 Real Tree
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

I have been very curious about these and look forward to learning more -- I am not sure of all the xbow laws here in Colorado as I am just learning ----but have been wondering if this type of sight would be legal under CO regulations.? The general concept of CO law does not allow magnified sights as I understand it. I do need to get off my butt and make a call to CDW and sort this out but thought maybe some of our members might know the answer??
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Yes keep us posted on these , I too have been wanting to find out more about them
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Bigship

Post by Bigship »

Well gents, the Eotech Bbow seems to fit the Micro's scope rail. I took three shots with it and high and right at 10 yards. Attempted to adjust but would not respond. No time to fool with it now. I'm headed out to hunt for four days so its back to my Scorpyds for now while the Micro becomes a science project.

However the g33 is a no-go literally. Its mount is far too small. The specs on the scope say that it fits a dovetail picatinny rail. The specs on the G33 say it fits a Weaver Picatinny rail. I ruined the G33 mount by trying to file it out to fit under the Excal rail. That was just stupid. I called Eotech this morning and they are going to replace the mount free of charge and said that they had never heard on one that didn't fit. I sent pictures and we are in the process of figuring it out now. I may have to replace the Excal Micro scope rail with a true Picatinny rail to make it all come together. Im trying to find out the spec of the rail that comes with the Micro. More later.
Bigship

Post by Bigship »

Well, I got the Xbow sighted in at 20 yards. It was a bit high at 30, but nothing to get excited about. Didn't take it out beyond 30 yards this morning. (Had to hunt) The range finder is very accurate too as I tested it against my Bushnell and its spot on with my 18 inch Rhino. The rail may not fit my G33 magnifier, but I'm thinking about putting it on my Scorpyd and moving the XB030 to the little bow. More later
Bigship

Post by Bigship »

I'm replying my reply I guess. I am starting to like the Eotech Xbow sight. I played with it a bit more and its easy to see the dot on the target at 40 yards (didn't try 60). I measured the Micro's rail width at 0.828 inches with my digital micrometer. The Scorpyd rail is 0.790 inches for what its worth. I know the Eotech Xbow/G33 combo will fit the Scorpyd rail nicely, and may end up with that combo for hunting after all. I'll put the whole thing together in about 2 weeks when Eotech ships the new mount for the G33. By the way, Eotech's customer service is EXTREMELY RESPONSIVE. I give them an A1 rating for customer care. :D :D
Bigship

Post by Bigship »

I finally spent some time with the Eotech 512 Xbow, adjusted the elevation, and really like the sighting system. Its not a scope! its a different way of shooting and I find it very natural with both eyes open even with trifocals. My Scorpyd Orion 150 shoots a 22" arrow, 450 gn, at 374 fps. I shoot out to 55 yards (length of my target range) and my distances are as follows:
Slight hold under Dot one: 12 to 15 yards +- 1 inch
Dot 1: 18 to 25 yards +- 1 inch
Hold between Dot 1 and Dot 2: 30 to 36 yards +- 1 inch
Dot 2: 40 yards - spot on
Hold between Dot 2 and 3: 45 to 52 yards +-1 inch
Dot 3: 54 yards - spot on
Dot 4: have not shot but guessing about 63 to 65 yards spot on
Note: Tolerances are most likely additive due to arrow variances and my breathing off my shooting bench. I'm shooting an 18 inch target, and the rangefinder is spot on. With a little bit of practice its really easy to use the indicator to get within a couple of yards on the fly (note yardage guessed with the rangefinder, and then verified with my Bushnell).

I received my G33 magnifier and it really helps past 30 yards. In fact, I do not shoot without it past 25. Below 25 its not really required. The G33 magnifier is really cool. Just slap it on and adjust along the rail for your proper eye relief and adjust optic for your vision. its ready to go. If the image is off center, no problem, just move it to where you want to see it with windage and elevation adjustments. Note: this doesn't throw off the accuracy of the holographic and dot image. Its just to center the Xbow image in the magnifier for your comfort and preference.

OK! The darn combination cost a bit north of $900 at Optics Planet using all the Christmas sales discounts I could muster. I would have never bought it during the year, but that was my wife's big present to me. The next things were a belt and some chocolate coins LOL! I'm going to mount my Kill LIght to the G33 and flip it out of the way using the Xbow sight only for night hog hunting. All my shots at night are between 15 and 25 yards and the hogs are moving quickly. The both eyes open approach along with the built in range finder should be an awesome combination. The Eotech 512 Xbow opens up a whole new way of hunting and shooting for me so I've now forgotten how much it cost LOL!

Final thoughts: This is not your father's reflex red dot, nor is it a scope designed for hole in hole target shooting. Having said that, I've shot two arrows in the same hole at 20 yards and ruined the fletching on both - so it is capable!! I originally bought it for my Micro 335, but I think its is more suited to premium speed bows shooting 350 per second or more. The Micro 335 is not going to take advantage of the 60 yards out capability of the Xbow sight, and the G33 magnifier would not fit the Excalibur "Picatinny or whatever it is" rail!

Plug for Eotech service center. Totally supported me as I filed the cr#p out of my G33 mount trying to make it fit the Micro's rail. Admitted my stupidity to Mike over at Eotech customer service. He had me photo document the fit problem and replaced the mount gratis (and probably out of pity).
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

I really like mine as well . On my 300fps +/- a few custom vixen when sighted in at 20 its dead on at 20 30 40 and 50 yards .The included sight in information is prettly verry close . the range finder is great too , would be a good sight for 3D shoots . I'd like to try a magnifier some time but just the sight nearly bankrupted me :lol:
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads