micro arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

Re: micro arrows

Post by amythntr »

Mo wannabe wrote:Thanks for the pic Anthony that's how mine look also and that just won't work for me under hunting conditions . I think the guys cutting them down to 15 in are on the track I'm looking for :wink:
I will be keeping a eye on there findings. And try a few of my own ideas

I have some already cut down to 15 (BEE) with "Ignitors" and 92gn brass inserts, w/100gn Muzzys= 402gn..I would love to get this around 380gn...might have to go with Alum inserts with glue in weights...Have not checked on FOC of either ....will have to do that also....wish I had an indoor place to shoot and test....NJ winter bow opens 1/1/15 (of course in this wonderful state we have to buy a 2015 license)...would like to shoot Mini-Me..but right now there are too many variables....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Here is mine with 15" Zombies, and Cabelas Copperheads.

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... d.jpg.html]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

ClintRhodes wrote:
GrassyKnoll wrote:I'm using 16.5 Gold Tip Laser II Pros with 110 grain insert, Blazers and Lumenoks and a 100 grain Slick Trick standard for a total weight 382 grains.

I sighted in with field points and switched out to broadheads and my POI is the same with both so far out to 40 yards.. I've not been able to test past 40 yet.. Maybe tonight..
Is that combo within the stirrup?

Yes,Clint the arrow and bh sit right inside the stirrup. A sweet combo.

Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
vpsaline

Post by vpsaline »

Why all the craze of not having the bh stick out? So it doesn't get snagged while stalking?
Micro_335 - Nikon Bolt XR - 15.5'' Zombies - Killzone 100GR
Matrix G340 - Nikon Bolt XR - Muzzy 100GR
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I hang my bow while in the stand, it makes it easier to rattle, glass, eat a sandwich, serf the net, whatever! When the magic happens, you don't want to bump the hanger on the broadhead, for some reason it is louder than a bowling alley! :lol: :lol:

Just a preference I guess! :wink:
dewy

Post by dewy »

vpsaline wrote:Why all the craze of not having the bh stick out? So it doesn't get snagged while stalking?
I do about 50% of my hunting on the ground either in a commercial blind or in a brush type blind. A lot of the time I will stand my bow up on the stirrup against the wall of the blind, and grab it as needed, thus I don't want the broadhead sticking out past the stirrup. It also tends to magically grab more brush leaves etc when laying on the ground while sitting in a brush type blind.
Micro 335
15" BEE's
125gr Shwackers
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Yes I agree the quills that come with the micros shoot very good , I just think they are to long for my preference . Seems the more I have sticking out in the stirrup, the more I have hanging on stuff and pulling quill off release mec
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

SEW wrote:
Mo wannabe wrote:Yes I agree the quills that come with the micros shoot very good , I just think they are to long for my preference . Seems the more I have sticking out in the stirrup, the more I have hanging on stuff and pulling quill off release mec
I'm sure you know this better than I , especially since you've been in the Excal camp longer than I. There appears to be principle of having enough arrow a sticking out into the stirrup area to prevent inadvertently putting a broadhead through a foot during uncocking.

Never been a problem for me , I only load when ready to sit and take bolt out when I get up . Maybe wrong but cock bow in am and uncock it at dark
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
njlungbuster

Post by njlungbuster »

Brand new to the forum. Brand new to Excalibur. Brand new to crossbows period. Hell this is my first post. I will add that I shot the stock quills the other day with 100gr field points and could not get it to it exactly where I aimed and this was at 20yards. It was never in the same spot either. Hit all around where I aimed within about 4". Could be the fact that they were standard field points for arrows and not bolts, but I highly doubt that tiny little lip of difference would do that much(but I've been wrong about easier crap before lol). It's my guess that it's just too light. As soon as I went back to the 150's that came with my micro, it was hitting dead on. Looking forward to seeing what y'all come up with because I'd like to shoot my 100gr Killzone broadheads.

BTW, glad I'm not the only guy from The Corrupt Republic of New Jersey(aka - New Jermany). ;-)
2015 Excalibur Micro 335
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Those have aluminum front inserts, go with 125 grains, or more, and you'll be amazed at how accurate they are! I switched for availability, and I wanted shorter arrows without ruining these.

Post by newbie »

I made up some 16.5" zombies with 110 grn up fron with both blazers and quick spins. Man these arrows shoot.
This is 30 yards left is grimm reaper center is G5 striker. I amed right where they hit.
Image[/URL]
This is 40 yards. left is striker right center in grimm reaper rigjt is 2" swacker. all dead deer. far right is quick spin with field point.
This is 40 with quick spins. left is grim reaper center is striker and right is grizz trick. grizz was bang on with the quick spins. I can spin on any of my 100 grn heads and go hunting to 40 yards. happy happy. Now the question is what head lol. Strikers shot amazingly consistent with my grimmreapers. bothe needed 2 clicks up at 20 from field points. and bang on to 40.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
njlungbuster

Post by njlungbuster »

xcaliber wrote:Those have aluminum front inserts, go with 125 grains, or more, and you'll be amazed at how accurate they are! I switched for availability, and I wanted shorter arrows without ruining these.

Yeah the quills are nice but I'd kinda like shorter arrows too. I'm seeing pics of some of you guys and inside the stirrup seems like it's better for not hitting stuff. Somebody mentioned leaving in a ground blind. I'd do that too. Plus like I said, 150's you're kinda limited and what is out there, doesn't produce a nice big hole like I like. The bolt cutter bats are nice but they're just over an inch.
2015 Excalibur Micro 335
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

newbie wrote:I made up some 16.5" zombies with 110 grn up fron with both blazers and quick spins. Man these arrows shoot.
This is 30 yards left is grimm reaper center is G5 striker. I amed right where they hit.
Image[/URL]
This is 40 yards. left is striker right center in grimm reaper rigjt is 2" swacker. all dead deer. far right is quick spin with field point.
This is 40 with quick spins. left is grim reaper center is striker and right is grizz trick. grizz was bang on with the quick spins. I can spin on any of my 100 grn heads and go hunting to 40 yards. happy happy. Now the question is what head lol. Strikers shot amazingly consistent with my grimmreapers. bothe needed 2 clicks up at 20 from field points. and bang on to 40.

so the mechanicals did shoot same as field tips at all yardage?
good to know.
thanks, norm

Post by newbie »

no they shot two clicks lower then field tips. same as my strikers.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!

Post by newbie »

double post
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335