Stirrup Dampening???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: Stirrup Dampening???

Post by Boo »

With reguard to the stirrup, you can never really remove noise. You can change the frequency of the noise/vibration or when it happens. When you add weight to the stirrup you do both. Simply adding a stick on wheel weight is effective. I add weight to the stirrup by taking a half width if duct tape a ciuple of feet long and wrap it near the corner until I have a thickness of about 1/2 or more. The wraps have to be tight to work well.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Always thought a rope stirrup would be pretty quiet, although I havent tried it.Not sure how hard it would be to get boot in and out of though.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

don't see how you folks put any thing around the stirrup . I can hardly get my foot in it with my Ice Kings on. :? :? :?
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

W.Miguire wrote:don't see how you folks put any thing around the stirrup . I can hardly get my foot in it with my Ice Kings on. :? :? :?
Flip-Flops arent a problem. :lol:
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

wabi wrote:I did a fancy paracord braid to cover mine. Then I checked for vane clearance as the arrow passed the stirrup and took the paracord off. :oops: :roll: :lol:

If you put something on it keep it thin and check clearance when you're finished. :wink:
I have paracord on mine also and also had to redo it leaving a small space in the center for vane clearance.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Perforator

Post by Perforator »

I first wrapped mine with hockey friction tape, then cut some cheap CT foam pipe insulation to wrap tightly and another layer of friction tape. Did a good job of quieting things down.
I have an older Exocet and the mount might leave some extra clearance, no interference problems but I do use mechanical broadheads too.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Are all you guys talking about what you did to the stirrup on a Micro or others bows? Original poster said he has a Micro. Very big difference between a Micro and Vortex noise-wise. I don't see need to do anything to my Micro.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

nchunterkw wrote:Are all you guys talking about what you did to the stirrup on a Micro or others bows? Original poster said he has a Micro. Very big difference between a Micro and Vortex noise-wise. I don't see need to do anything to my Micro.
Personally, I coated my Matrix stirrup to quiet it down, not the shot. I hate the sound it makes when loading the bow on rocks, a treestand platform, or any hard surface. Nothing is going to make an appreciable difference when it comes to silencing a shot. It may change the pitch, it could reduce felt vibration, but not so much that it's really noticeable.

I hated when walking through brush, sticks would make a pinging noise when they impacted the stirrup. I no longer have that problem.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits

Post by newbie »

racking up points wrote:
nchunterkw wrote:Are all you guys talking about what you did to the stirrup on a Micro or others bows? Original poster said he has a Micro. Very big difference between a Micro and Vortex noise-wise. I don't see need to do anything to my Micro.
Personally, I coated my Matrix stirrup to quiet it down, not the shot. I hate the sound it makes when loading the bow on rocks, a treestand platform, or any hard surface. Nothing is going to make an appreciable difference when it comes to silencing a shot. It may change the pitch, it could reduce felt vibration, but not so much that it's really noticeable.

I hated when walking through brush, sticks would make a pinging noise when they impacted the stirrup. I no longer have that problem.
x2 or on a tree stand. I wrapped mine with cloth camo wrap.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

racking up points wrote: Personally, I coated my Matrix stirrup to quiet it down, not the shot. I hate the sound it makes when loading the bow on rocks, a treestand platform, or any hard surface. Nothing is going to make an appreciable difference when it comes to silencing a shot. It may change the pitch, it could reduce felt vibration, but not so much that it's really noticeable.

That makes sense to me - and protects the stirrup too. I haven't cocked mine in a treestand yet, but I know what you mean.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Shoebuck

Post by Shoebuck »

I appreciate all of the advise, thanks to all!!!
Micro 335 Camo
Micro 335 Nightmare
Black Eagle Zombies
Spynal Double Tapps
Slick Trick Mag
Wac'em Broadheads
DeerBoy Strings
Xcalibur Strings
8-PtBuck Strings
Nikon Bolt
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Replace the stirrup with some heavy duty cord (lawnmower pull cord) and be done with any and all stirrup vibration. Cheap too!