Bolt cutters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

toadrider

Bolt cutters

Post by toadrider »

Hey anyone have a problem with deflection when using bolt cutters.I shot a Big Ohio buck last Saturday never recovered. He was 23 yards out almost broad side.The shot was about centered but forward in the shoulder. I herd a hell of a whack.He ran off like he was not hit at all.No blood till I found about 5 inches of my arrow there was about 4 drop in 20 yards after that then nothing.The arrow peace had bright red blood just a few drops.It had tinny little hairs on it up about 3 inches.Never found the other 15 or so inches of arrow.The only reason I can think of that this deer didn't die is it hit the shoulder bone or leg bone and deflected down the leg and didn't break his leg.The deer never even layed down.I have bin looking every day for this deer now. Its go out look for the crows and or eagles now.Just cant think of any other way that a deer could live with 15 inches of arrow in him.Yeah I was up about 15 feet I shoot a 200lb.Exocet.arrow speed is 328 on my crony.Carbon arrows that came with the kit.I see lots of people reading this.How about some thoughts and reply's?
Rogue_wave

Re: Bolt cutters

Post by Rogue_wave »

While I am no expert and every deer is different, it's hard to say what exactly happened. What I can tell you is that a deflection may be caused by anything. From my experience ( my opinion only ) shooting from stands, or anytime you are not 100% square to the deer and get into the shoulder area things can go wrong. It's all a game of angles and arrow placement. I don't believe it was the boltcutter's fault as any fixed or mechanical may have performed the same way, again my opinion. Was there blood on the entire piece of arrow that you found? To find the missing 15 inches would definitely help, but you may never find it. The other part may have flew a good distance when it broke and may not necessarily be in the deer. I hope you either see the deer live or find it!! Hope this helps.

R/W
toadrider

Post by toadrider »

Yeah there was blood and hair on the peace I found up about 3 inches or so on a 5 or so inch Fletched peace.I saw the deer for about 120 yards after the shot there was no arrow sticking out that I could see.Im pretty shore I got 17 or so inches of penetration.But who know my have went up along his neck.The lack of blood tells me he is probably still alive.Havent seen any crows or eagles swarming around anywhere. Well thanks I hope he lives also.At least tell I see him again.
toadrider

Post by toadrider »

Went and got some Rage Hypodermic 125 gr. I got a nice button buck with one this evening.Boy thy work great.He went down in 30 yards.Got both lungs and 4 ribs but it did bend both blades slightly.What a blood trail didn't really need it I saw him drop. OK got some good meet for the freezer.
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

Very hard to tell without the deer as its all speculation. But ithink you are correct look for crows and follow then you might get your answer.

Congrats on the button buck. Sure good eating there.

Brian
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
toadrider

Post by toadrider »

You got that right.We had some steaks last night.Thy were the best I ever had in all my 43 years of hunting.My Dad says it because the rage BH bleed it out so fast.I think it might be because it was so fat. :D
toadrider

Post by toadrider »

Well the buck was shot in gun season.He only had about 4 points left out of 12.Neighbor got it opening morning.Looks like my arrow hit high in the shoulder and fallowed down the leg.Arrow was gone. Cant understand how 200 pound bow didn't just blow though that shoulder instead of doing about a 90 deg. turn in flesh.It looked like I shot straight down from above.But it was out at 23 yards. Well anyway at least its over and hes not in pain anymore.But he must not have been hurting to bad to bust his rack up the way he did.He was not even limping thy said.But it was infected pretty bad.Well no more bolt cutters for me.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Glad deer is dead. Broadheads can't make up for bad placement, that is your job. I'm 100% sure a rage to the shoulder would get you even poorer results than the bolt cutter. I've seen many moose dropped with bolt cutters, I know they will do the job when I do my job. Please learn from this and don't blame the equipment. Bad shots happen it's a fact of hunting, we owe it to the game we pursue to only take high percentage shots. Enjoy your deer.
bubba

Post by bubba »

I agree don't blame the broad head, like said just learn from your miss takes and try and prevent the same one twice...It's all part of the game.....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Anyone who hunts long enough will have things like this happen sooner or later regardless of what broadhead they shoot
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
rayman

Post by rayman »

I've had good luck with boltcutters. Big mature bucks have beefy shoulders, and it sounds like you just hit it in the shoulder without getting good enough penetration into vitals. Had my share of those with archery equipment.
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

Glad you got info on what happened. I used boltcutters on a nice doe and she did die but the blood Trail it left wasn't the best I have seen. That's why i will only use them in an emergency only. It's swhackers and FOC'S for me. Massive blood trails and short tracking.

Best of luck in the future
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
XCaddis

Post by XCaddis »

I am using an Exomax with boltcutters and I took a small buck at 82 yards...yes 82 yards. The bolt went through the shoulder bone, both lungs and out the other side into the ground and I couldnt recover the arrow. It has plenty of power to slice through any part of a deer without deflection. If I had to guess you clipped it but the shot wasent fatal.
XCaddis

Excalibur Exomax
STS
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder

Guns are part of our Cultural Heritage. Please respect our diversity!!
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

Shot placement is the most important aspect in the proper harvesting of an animal. This applies to archery, black powder or whatever. If hit in the wrong place it does not matter what broadhead or bullet was used. The Boltcutter is a great broadhead when properly deployed.