New Exomax Help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

awshucks

Re: New Exomax Help

Post by awshucks »

My 1st xbow [this go around] was an Emax. In '06, I'd ordered a Bnett Quad 400 from Cabelas, and then heard about Excals the same day, so I ordered an Emax.

The big brown van brought both the same day. I never un-packed the Quad. I'd done the 'two finger' shop job, one on fps, the other on prices, lol.

Sometime later, a buddy was wanting an xbow so I sold him the Quad [w/ warnings].

He's in my shop trying to get groups tighter than 2" at 20 while I'm picking off house flies w/ the Emax. Not every shot, but enough I'd bet on, lol.

We ended up blowing the Quad up and I sent it back to Cabelas.

One thing.....the Emax is hard on servings, call Danny [740] 483-2312, he makes all of Excals strings and talk w/ him. Tell him 'the guy in Ar'.........lol, he's heard it before......... :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

I picked up one of those Exomaxes on the same deal from Amazon, almost thought it was a misprint when the price popped up. They were all sold in what looked like less than ten seconds. The bow I got in came with both the dissipator bars on the front of the bow and the S5 string suppression system. The draw weight may be a little high for your kids to enjoy as a target bow, however, it makes a great hunting bow. The wider limbset on the Exomax does increase the rotational stability of the bow at the tradeoff of needing more clearance to walk through brush and for the limbs to sweep forward. I would second getting the scope mount with the anti dryfire, the lower poundage bows could sometimes handle a dryfire, the Exomax would usually need a new set of limbs if it did endure a dryfire.

I would also recommend picking up the rope cocking aid and the stringing aid. Enjoy the bow.
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
tsc

Post by tsc »

Congrats on the Exomax. It's a fine piece of equipment (It's what I own and use).

It's a beast to say the least. Drawing up is hard (I'm an average built guy and 5'9"); and I find that the last 2-3" when drawing is sometimes tough (even tougher, if I forget to take the safety off :lol: )
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I've killed 30 deer and a turkey with my Exomax and am keeping it as my "back up" for my Matrix 380. I have friends who shoot compound crossbows and have to go to the bow shop for everything. I like being able to work on my Excaliburs myself.
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

Owned one for a few years it was my first Excalibur xbow. Loved it and as others have said the accuracy and power was amazing. You got it for a awesome price at $350.00. I sold mine this summer to a guy for $650.00 and he jumped at the price and later had others calling me on my add to buy it. Was thinking I must have sold it to cheap..lol. Anyway now the proud owner of a Matrix 380 and love for all the same reasons. On another note I am on Michigan Sportsmens Forum and tonight a guy was in a panic that his cable broke on his Ten Point xbow and he was begging for help to get it repaired fast as Michigans xbow season is on right now until the 21st. I wrote a remark that he should have just bought a Excalibur....
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the Max and welcome to the forum!!And great deal!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Grouperdawg

Post by Grouperdawg »

Had to leave town swamped last week, anyway Thx for all the help and comments. Didn't see any deer but was able to get some practice in with the boys. I'll take a look at the brace tomorrow Thx for the help on that.

I have the hha scope mount but had problems with it, the first being I could not adjust elevation enough to zero it in, it misses high. The only thing I can think of is to put I shim in the front of the rings. So I tried that but it went too far the other way and I didn't have enough time to try something else.

Didn't mind pulling it back, I'm pretty tall so it really wasn't that must harder than the barnett. The boys do not cock it on their own. I need to look at the anti dry fire mount, I am little nervous putting a bolt in and am trying to get in a habit of flipping the safety directly after cocking.

This crossbow is loud, not sure if the string things help out the noise. It also seems to be very accurate, it seems to shoot pretty flat out to 35 yards, then starts to fall quicker. Still some work to do but really happy with the purchase.