Matrix Mods - (405 performance update)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

racking up points

Matrix Mods - (405 performance update)

Post by racking up points »

What started as a Matrix 380 has evolved into a new beast altogether. I'm going to outline some of the mods I've made to my Matrix.

Following the directions in a great thread by Drew, I plasti-dipped the buttstock and stirrup in black with pumice grit. This enhanced my ability to solidly shoulder my bow and it dampened some vibration from the stirrup. The coating has held up nicely so far.

I opt for the lightest possible components. I do not have a quiver mount for this reason and I prefer a hip-quiver. Before plasti-dipping my stirrup, I rounded all the edges and drilled some holes 1/2 way through it to lighten it up a touch. To me, any excess weight on the bow needs to be reduced, especially weight that is out front of the hands. In keeping with that theme, I went with titanium fasteners for the limb/riser and riser/mainframe for two reasons: weight reduction and corrosion resistance. Obviously, Normous' build was my influence here.

As my signature indicates, I use Boo strings. I also have a TriggerTech 2-stage Matrix Hunter with the red lever. To me, these were the two mods that made the most obvious improvements over the stock components.

Another huge upgrade that I recently added is a Leupold VXR Patrol in 1.25-4x. (The Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x with SPR Firedot that used to sit atop my Matrix is sitting in a box waiting for a Micro to ride on! I even have a Boo micro string, talk about putting the cart before the horse!). I really like this scope. In comparing the two, the Patrol is a 30mm scope with better glass and much better clarity at point blank ranges. It focuses perfectly at mere inches away because it was designed for tactical use at close ranges. It has the same reticle, but the Patrol has a red Firedot, the Mark AR has a green dot. The Patrol has a shorter overall length but a few ounces more in mass. I find it easier to shoot with both eyes open compared to the Mark AR. Once I finalize an arrow setup for this bow, I'm going to send my data to the Leupold custom shop to have laser engraved turrets made for elevation. Alumina flip caps will eventually be added too. Truth be told, I have just recently made some of these mods and I haven't the chance to experiment, but I plan to have 10y increments out to 100y which should be possible with the greater vertical elevation range offered by a 30mm scope and a bow that shoots in excess of 400fps.

My Matrix 380 is no more. It's a 405 Mega in Realtree Xtra. I modified an old Vixen rail with a 14" powerstroke to accept a matrix stock and riser. I then shipped it off to Dynamic Finishes for hydro-dipping. I think the camo matches pretty well. They warned me that all decorators would have slightly different shades of the same pattern; theirs is slightly darker than what Excalibur uses. But if I didn't point it out, I think most people wouldn't notice. The coating appears to be very tough. I can't honestly review it yet for durability because it's new to me and has only seen about 20 shots, but so far, so good. (I'll update this thread after it's seen a few hundred shots and some days afield.). This powerstroke should give me better than 405fps with a 350gr arrow. I have not yet chronographed my new setup, but I'm dying to find out just how much horsepower I added!

Other minor mods include beefier scope mount screws, a shrink-wrapped arrow retainer and Danny Miller's Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers in place of the stock REDS.

I can't imagine parting with this bow until a smaller recurve platform boasts speeds approaching 400fps. I plan to use this bow for long-distance target shooting, 3D tourneys and early-season archery. The Micro I don't own yet will be my main hunting bow.

I'd like to thank everyone in the community for the info they've shared with me over the past year, in particular Normous, Limbs and Sticks, Boo and Paulaboutform. I have modelled my bow after theirs and they have provided me with valuable insights. Thanks
Last edited by racking up points on Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
quake

Re: Matrix Mods - My new beast

Post by quake »

Awesome bow and I really like the scope. Nice job on the customization!
Cabela's Equalizer 370 made by Excalibur- Zeiss Terra XB75
Matrix 380- Trophy Ridge Speed Comp XV530IR
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Looks great. Love that Leupold, good luck with it.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

WOW!!

That is a great looking bow & thanks for sharing the details...

Jeff
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
strum

Post by strum »

That is one good lookin beast. Im very impressed. Im also interested in the chrono report :D I would not be surprised to see 410 or more with that rail.
where did you get the fasteners?
as far as the finish ..it looks fine like you said if you don't point it out no one will notice.. vey good match. im looking into having my Micro rail dipped ..at a place here in ga but I want o hear how your is holding up first ..I may change my mind and ship it to Dynamic..
thanks for sharing
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
racking up points

strum wrote:That is one good lookin beast. Im very impressed. Im also interested in the chrono report :D I would not be surprised to see 410 or more with that rail.
where did you get the fasteners?
as far as the finish ..it looks fine like you said if you don't point it out no one will notice.. vey good match. im looking into having my Micro rail dipped ..at a place here in ga but I want o hear how your is holding up first ..I may change my mind and ship it to Dynamic..
thanks for sharing
The fasteners came from ti64.com . If you search the site, the sizes were posted by Normous.

I'll be sure to let you guys know how this coating holds up. As far as customer service, turn-around time and price, I was pleased with Dynamic Finishes. Unfortunately, they wouldn't/couldn't ship it back to me in Canada but I have US address. If it proves to be durable, it opens up a whole bunch of possibilities for Micro 335 shooters. I have never been a fan of grey anodized rails, especially on black bows.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Normous

Post by Normous »

I really like it Derrick and the Leupold looks perfect on top. During the Holidays I will bring the Crono over.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
bubba

Post by bubba »

You have really done some amazing mods very impressed it surly is a beast..........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
strum

Post by strum »

racking up points wrote:
strum wrote: The fasteners came from ti64.com . If you search the site, the sizes were posted by Normous.

I have never been a fan of grey anodized rails, especially on black bows.
yeah I would not be surprised to see the micros in camo next..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16

Post by newbie »

Looks awesome Derrick congrats!
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
racking up points

strum wrote:
racking up points wrote:
strum wrote: yeah I would not be surprised to see the micros in camo next..
My next purchase/project... 8)
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Normous

Post by Normous »

racking up points wrote: My next purchase/project... 8)
And add 1/2" + to the mainframe while your at it. :wink:
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
racking up points

Normous wrote:
racking up points wrote: My next purchase/project... 8)
And add 1/2" + to the mainframe while your at it. :wink:
I might go 4/8" instead...thinking 1/2" might be too much. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Normous

Post by Normous »

A FitForLess membership on Central Ave. is $10 a month :wink:
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Normous wrote:A FitForLess membership on Central Ave. is $10 a month :wink:
LOL

Norm loads my Micro like it's a kids slingshot ;). Me on the other hand am @ my limit with the Micro 335 and I could not be happier with it..

Jeff
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.