Just got a Excal M380... wow, very LOUD!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

coolhl

Re: Just got a Excal M380... wow, very LOUD!!!

Post by coolhl »

nchunterkw wrote:
coolhl wrote:from OUTDOOR LIFE MAGAZINE testing (decibels)
scorpyd vent 165 94.3
scorpyd VTEC 165 96.6
Excalibur Eclipse XT 92
Excalibur 380 98.2
Excalibur 405 100.85
I compare Scorpyds because I don't care how quiet any other wheeled Xbow is I would only consider a Scorpyd worth buying.

keep in mind " a change in power by a factor of two approximately corresponds to a 3 dB change".
so I guess the 405 is very roughly twice as loud as a VTEC 165. But the Scorpyd VTEC 165 is twice as loud as the Excalibur Eclipse.
Of course this is providing I understand this decibel concept correctly and providing Outdoor Life got their numbers right.
still, I don't know what the decibels on my Micro 335 is but I don't notice it at all.
norm
You are correct that a 3dB change in power equates to 2times the power. But that does not equate to twice the air pressure which is how our ears pick up sound. A 3dB change in sound intensity (power) is classified as "barley perceptible". Twice as loud is defined as a 10dB change in sound intensity. So from your list above the Excals might seem a little bit louder than the Scorypds to some people but the difference would be small. I believe stereos and TV volume controls etc. are set in 6dB steps so we can perceive that we turned it up or down.
Thanks for clearing that up. That is definitely positive for Excalibur. once again, I shot my micro again today and it sounds remarkably quiet to me.
norm
tharris811

Post by tharris811 »

All I can say it I have never been in a tree & took a shot at a deer and thought boy that was loud..& deer has not reacted to the sound except to die :D
live everyday as it is your last..It may be
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

I found a website which has a calculator to tell you how much perceived increase "LOUDNESS" from any increase in dB.
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm

a 3 dB increase is perceived as 1.232 times louder which is probably barely perceptible to us.
maple

Post by maple »

I figure when the stock is pressed up beside my ear and the arrow retainer is there too along with the string it's going to seem loud.

Go 30 yards away and it'll just be a -bump- what was that?....too late.
Don't look at the antlers!! And don't look him in the eye!!

2002 Exomag
Custom wood stock with a lot of notches in it
Big John arrows
Loving every minute of it.
The only thing better than a dog, is two dogs.

Maple
ch312

Post by ch312 »

greentag wrote:ive killed alot of turkeys with a exomax,many times when i shoot one the other turkeys just look up for a minute and either keep on doing what they are doing or come and jump on the one that has been shot,usually the loudest part is when the arrow smacks one of them.if they(the deer or turkey) are not real nervous acting i dont think the noise bothers them,its the ones that are already spooky acting that you might have to watch for,if it is a longer shot...anyhow thats what ive noticed..

You got it. Shooting tense and nervous deer is what results in deer "jumping the string" as they're already alert and just waiting for the slightest sound to convince them to flee. This is exactly why archers should wait for a tense deer to relax and return to it's normal activity before taking a shot at extended ranges.

An alert deer will react the exact same way whether you're shooting an Exomax without any noise reducing products or the quietest compound available.

Noise dampening products are much like fishing lures or golf gadgets. Creative marketing and endorsements convince consumers they won't be successful without the newest and greatest products when in fact the animals we're targeting could really care less.