40 yards, free hand!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Re: 40 yards, free hand!

Post by xcaliber »

I read an article many years ago about shooting off hand. It pertained more to rifles at the time, and the heart of the conversation was about deer hunting from treestands. The fact that people were getting rests for their stands, and climbing models were beginning to add them to their units was part of that conversation in the article. The deer however did not fully cooperate by positioning themselves so that the rest could be used. Many times they would be behind the tree, or off too far to the side. :shock: Sound familiar? :wink: The writer went on to say that just about every shooter would exhibit the same behavior when shooting off hand. His remedy was this, instead of trying to hold tightly on your target, pick your spot, and as you slowly LOWER your aiming point to that spot, squeeze off the shot! No, you will not hit center "X" but you should be within an inch, maybe two. That will get the job done all day long. If you try to hold on tight to the spot, you begin to make circles as your brain, working much faster than your muscles tries to compensate. I practice this all the time, and recommend starting at a distance of ten yards, then moving back as you get better. I went out with a gentleman and his son from this forum, and we had his son Justin nailing the kill zone every shot at 50 yards within a half hour.
Try it, and good luck. Some people like to raise the aiming point up while doing this, just remember at first you will naturally stop, and reverse without knowing it. A tad high is often better than a tad low when hunting! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
JLH

Post by JLH »

Truly great advise....

It has me thiking about shooting a vertical bow....i have been shooting a bow for 25 years....and have been bow hunting for that long as well. In all those years, and well over a hundred deer shot, I've never shot a deer with a gun, actually have about zero gun experience...few times waterfowl hunting, that's it...
This is the first year i have shot a crossbow, and only got into it for fun, and to do something different.

When i started out with a bow I'm certain I would miss the target more than half the time at 40...but over the years, with practice, 40 yds is not really a problem, and I've shot plenty at that distance and beyond.

It just goes to show, with practice, anything is possible....never get complacent with your shooting, even if you never plan to shoot a deer at 50+ yards, if you practice at those distances, it makes 30 yds like a chip shot...

Besides, shooting is fun!
PA_DeerHunter

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

double post
Last edited by PA_DeerHunter on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
PA_DeerHunter

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

vixenmaster wrote:Well looks like you shoot better freehanded than i do off my table

True that! I shoot .22 rimfire comp, and there are plenty of great shooters that cannot shoot a 1" group offhand at 50 yards with their Annie's!

Did you know the lock-time on a .22 rimfire is much much shorter than a crossbow?
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

...really a great post and good replies from everyone!....

...you guys are gonna force me to go out and practice even though my doctor wants me shut down until next year's hunting season because of my accident....

....WAIT...come January 1st, it is next year's hunting season (winter bow) in NJ and I do have to buy a 2015 bow license... :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :oops: :cry:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
PA_DeerHunter

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

You will have fun Anthony, no doubt. :D
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

xcaliber wrote:The recipe is as follows:
AAE Max PM 2.0 vanes
Black Eagle Zombies in .003" Cut to 15" Total length with inserts installed.
Gold Tip aluminum rear nocks 20.5 grains
Black Eagle 92 grain brass inserts in the snout.
Labels stripped.
Total weight without points= 260
100 grain field points
Thanks for the "recipe". That helps a lot. Mine are currently 16" and weigh in at 275 grains (without a tip).
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Great shooting!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

retrieverman wrote:
xcaliber wrote:The recipe is as follows:
AAE Max PM 2.0 vanes
Black Eagle Zombies in .003" Cut to 15" Total length with inserts installed.
Gold Tip aluminum rear nocks 20.5 grains
Black Eagle 92 grain brass inserts in the snout.
Labels stripped.
Total weight without points= 260
100 grain field points
Thanks for the "recipe". That helps a lot. Mine are currently 16" and weigh in at 275 grains (without a tip).
These LP vanes are lighter, the numbers seem very close. I don't think i will personally ever use 2" Blazer Vanes again for my mini Micro Bolts! 8)
Patriot*

Post by Patriot* »

Dan, much learned here, thank you for passing it forward. Great post!
Genesis 27:3
M/380 xtra Real Tree
Micro 335 Real Tree
Micro 335 Nightmare
Axiom 305 Real Tree
torana9x

Post by torana9x »

Superb free hand shooting!! This is something i need to practice as i really suck at it!

I always use a bi-pod because i mainly shoot rabbits, and have to be right on the money. Having a full quiver + bi-pod gets quiet heavy and hard to shoot free hand, but i will practice!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

way123hockey wrote:That's some nice shooting Dan. Can you use the AAE vanes in the Arizona EZ Fletch Bolt?
If you want to try the tool, PM me. I'll send you a few to try in the Bolt. I'm sure you'll post the results! :wink:
I got a few more in White than i currently need.
way123hockey

Post by way123hockey »

Thanks Dan, I appreciate the offer but I just ordered a bunch of 2" Blazer Vanes. I may try the LP Vanes sometime down the road. I like the looks of them.
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

No problem brother. If you just want a few to try the tool, and see how they fly, let me know!!