Rookie question- mega 405 best accurate hunting bolt?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bloodtrail

Rookie question- mega 405 best accurate hunting bolt?

Post by bloodtrail »

Hello fellow hunters,
I am working on setting up my first ever crossbow. It's a Matrix 405. Love shooting it but does anyone know what is the best choice of bolt for accurate hunting shots? Any advice is welcome.
Thanks
I'd rather be shooting my Excalibur.
Matrix 405
Twilight DLX scope
BEZombies/Tactical Tapps
Grim Reaper SS BH
vixenmaster

Re: Rookie question- mega 405 best accurate hunting bolt?

Post by vixenmaster »

Word by type n mouth says the BE Zomies are great. I use the BEE"S myself shoots very accurate out to 75 yds in mine
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bubba

Post by bubba »

Black eagle zombies.. look up south shore archery on the internet. you can build your own arrows. or give them a call best arrows that I know about.. or try some of the members on this forum..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Bt, welcome to the forum. I also say the Black Eagle Zombie Slayers. My recipe would be:
18" shaft squared at both ends
92gr brass inserts
2" Blazer Vanes fletched with the E-Z Bolt

If you plan on using Luminoks I'd go with 125gr points
If no Luminoks 100gr points are fine ......I personally prefer plastic nocks over aluminum.
****you may want to contact Danny Miller and get yourself a pair of Danny Miller plier pullers and if you haven't bought it already the stringing aid is a MUST have.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
SEW

Post by SEW »

My testing out to 100 yds using benchrest technics, equipment, with M380 & M405 with Boo strings, TT 2.5 DS has resulted in the following:
Equal accuracy both bows.
Arrows used were 1) 18" Zombies, AL inserts(26g), plastic Moon Nocks, highly helical Blazers , 2) spine indexed 18" Zombies, AL inserts(26g), plastic flat nocks, lightly helical Blazers, and 3) GT L-3 Pros 18", 4 degree offset Blazers, AL inserts(20g), AL moon nocks(polished) .
Findings:
L-3s - great accuracy out of M380 with field points(170g) : 1 - 1 1/2" 3-shot gps @ 100 yds, 3-4" with JB welded FOCs. Poor performance out of 405(spine!!).
First set of Zombies: 1 1/2-2" gps with FOCs and slightly better with field pts. 2" with Xbow Tricks(175g, 4 blade, 1").
Second set: best field point accuracy, - very close to 1", not quite as good FOC accuracy - 2 - 2 1/4"( still excellent accuracy!). Didn't test Xbow Tricks.

Summary: 405 need stiff arrows. Helical helps stabilize expandibles and fixed blades even more. But slightly hurts fp accuracy. Offset(not helical) is more accurate than helical for fps but hurts expandibles and fixed blades in comparison to helical. Jerry at Southshore made the second set(Zombies) to my specs, and Big John made the first set , again to my request. Both are significantly better than I can make, and I thought I was pretty good until I got theirs.
bloodtrail

Post by bloodtrail »

WOW
I would like to thank everyone for the welcome. The great information should give me an educated staring point.
Maybe in the future I can post a photo of a good Georgia buck taken with my Excalibur!
Best of luck to you folks in 2015.
Matrix 405
Twilight DLX scope
BEZombies/Tactical Tapps
Grim Reaper SS BH
greentag

Post by greentag »

any black eagle(executioner,zombie)maybe the stiffer zombie with the faster bow,mine shoots the ecutioners great at 350fps.thats with the little 2 inch blaazers on a helical. experimiting with it is part of the fun!!enjoy that new beast of a bow :D
2004 Exomax
same ole Varizone
Danny Miller's strings
20" Black Eagle Executioner's with Blazers
100 grain 2" Swackers
(why such wide limbs you ask?.......cause chicks dig em!)
bloodtrail

Post by bloodtrail »

Thanks Mr. Greentag,
I hope to tell you guys of my results soon.
Matrix 405
Twilight DLX scope
BEZombies/Tactical Tapps
Grim Reaper SS BH
greentag

Post by greentag »

Parwannab wrote:
greentag wrote:any black eagle(executioner,zombie)maybe the stiffer zombie with the faster bow,mine shoots the ecutioners great at 350fps.thats with the little 2 inch blaazers on a helical. experimiting with it is part of the fun!!enjoy that new beast of a bow :D
Greentag I have been investigating the BE site. The contact link is broken. Is there a place to customize your order? How do you get the helical? How much are these a dozen? Would it be possible for you to post a picture?

Thanks!!
ive always ordered them from danny miller,never got them from the website,i do know that they are higher on the website.the easiest way to start out with something good off the bat is call him,ask him which he thinks will work best for your needs,he will ask you what bow you will be shooting them out of and tell him the 405,im sure he will know what works and what don't.if you order them from their page then you not only pay more for a dozen,but you also have to buy the field point seperate,i think they are 8 or 9 dollars more just for the tips,not counting the higher arrow price.if you get them from danny,they com ready to shoot,fieldpoints in and all.i just recieved a dozen of the excutioners a couple days ago,72 dollars(6 dollars each) and they fly just like the last dozen i got.if you go with the zombie slayers they are a dollar more each(i dont know how much they are on the website.plus im sure that they are several guys here that can do the same for you.the guy im talking of is old school and dont use a computer,so its phone orders only(740-483-2312)or i guess if your in his area he has a store.he will usually ship the same day you order if you do it in the mornings.good luck with which ever route you take!the funs just beginning :D sorry i have no way post pics but you can probably search excutioners,or the zombies on this forum and see what they look like with the blazers on a helical,i have seen lots of them on here..
2004 Exomax
same ole Varizone
Danny Miller's strings
20" Black Eagle Executioner's with Blazers
100 grain 2" Swackers
(why such wide limbs you ask?.......cause chicks dig em!)