Nocks? flat vs cupped

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

brayhaven

Nocks? flat vs cupped

Post by brayhaven »

I bought an exocet after digging around. The question I have is on nocks. I understand the Excaliburs like flat ends. Is this a requirement? I have some horton carbon bolts with cupped ends. I can easily chuck them up in the lathe & turn them flat if it's necesary, but wanted to get some input from this learned assembly.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Use flat nocks on Excals as triigger mechanism grasps the string from the top , if your 1/2 moon nocks are not properly seated the string could jump the nock causing a dry fire type shot.

Your best off removing the old nocks and replacing them with regular inserts, then you can use an Excal T-handle bolt remover to extract bolts from targets without bending them.

Digger

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

[quote="Digger"]Use flat nocks on Excals as triigger mechanism grasps the string from the top , if your 1/2 moon nocks are not properly seated the string could jump the nock causing a dry fire type shot.

Your best off removing the old nocks and replacing them with regular inserts, then you can use an Excal T-handle bolt remover to extract bolts from targets without bending them.

Digger

Thanks for the reply, Digger. How do you remove the old " half moon nocks" from carbon arows without damaging the shafts? I've done it on alum shaft with a little heat. Good idea about the T-handle, but do you pull out some of the inserts when doing that?
Greg
Digger

Post by Digger »

bstout wrote:Shouldn't there be a nock on Excalibur arrows?

The bow is designed to use a flat butt ended arrow. Your options are either to use a plug type insert which cannot be used to withdraw the arrow from a target in which it has sunk too far, or a CAP insert which can.
I referred to the rear insert as as a flat nock that you could use a tee handle as in the pic.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
steven in England

Post by steven in England »

brayhaven
The horton carbon bolts I have used have moon nocks but they are not glued in they are just a tight fit. So you can get them out real easy with pliers and put yourself some insert in.
Steven
Steven in England