Rail Lube

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vidsoutmike

Re: Rail Lube

Post by vidsoutmike »

Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback. I'm new to the Xbow and need to learn all I can. Again, Thank you all.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

CC
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drew

Post by Drew »

I have used Venom rail lube since I bought my M355. It's a very thin wax that seems to evaporate over time but is slicker than goose sh!t. The only serving seperation I've ever seen has been due to non polished latches. Just my $0.02.

To me it makes zero sense to not lube the rail as it is the one area that sees the most friction. Also a reason why I do not like the camo rails...those I've handled feel "rough/textured" when compared to the bare rail on the M355. If I had one I would probably work it over with wet dry sandpaper and smooth it out.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I do not lube the rail, and do put Dalton's Crossbow wax on the serving. But I do put a product called arch-oil on the rail. It is a dry lube that makes the rail feel very smooth.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Thousands of shots on my xbow - I don't lube the rail. I do scrape it clean and wipe it down as wax from the serving can build up and attract dirt.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
colouredchameleon

CC
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colouredchameleon

CC
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

colouredchameleon wrote:
nchunterkw wrote:I do not lube the rail, and do put Dalton's Crossbow wax on the serving. But I do put a product called arch-oil on the rail. It is a dry lube that makes the rail feel very smooth.
You don't. But you DO ???? :lol:

Read up on ARCHOIL. Appears to be pretty good stuff. (coefficient of friction is amazingly low. Would think there could be a possibility of couple FPS increase realized with it's use.
Yes...and No :mrgreen:

I thought there would be a difference too, which is why I bought it. But when I tested it I saw no change. I still use it because it is slick (you can feel the difference with your fingers) so that should help the serving. And it is a corrosion preventative. I think it would help as an arrow lube as well - on Al arrows for sure, possibly carbons - and only for target ones. Not ones I want to pass through a deer that I will eat.

Found it for $12 online. The product is Archoil AR2400 WS2 Dry Film Lube
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

I bought a couple of 380 Flemish Twist strings from Danny Miller not too long ago and asked him this exact question. He said to put NOTHING on the center serving or the rail! That's good enough for me, and makes horse sense. Anything that could possibly attract and hold dust and grit can't be good for the life of the center serving, string, rail or trigger assembly.

Having said that, using some very fine (1,000 grit) wet or dry sandpaper on the rail could only make it smoother, and there are modern slick coatings like McLube Sailcoat which dries almost instantly, sticks to hard surfaces with no residue when wiped clean, and doesn't attract or hold dust. Seems to me like doing this with the string removed could only increase the life of all the named components.
colouredchameleon

CC
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Lake shooter wrote:I bought a couple of 380 Flemish Twist strings from Danny Miller not too long ago and asked him this exact question. He said to put NOTHING on the center serving or the rail! That's good enough for me, and makes horse sense. Anything that could possibly attract and hold dust and grit can't be good for the life of the center serving, string, rail or trigger assembly.

Having said that, using some very fine (1,000 grit) wet or dry sandpaper on the rail could only make it smoother, and there are modern slick coatings like McLube Sailcoat which dries almost instantly, sticks to hard surfaces with no residue when wiped clean, and doesn't attract or hold dust. Seems to me like doing this with the string removed could only increase the life of all the named components.
LS - that's exactly what the ARCHOIL 2400 is. A dry lube. It dries very quickly and seems to work similar to Rainex by filling in the metal at the micro level. Therefore it will not attract or hold any dirt or debris. In fact it makes it harder for anything to get on the rail. So IMO it's all good.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Scorpion Venom Rail Lube here...used only as needed.
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
greentag

Post by greentag »

tried it all,forever now ive used nothing at all, when i used lube,or even wax on the serving,the serving would be destroyed in no time(almost instantly),much,much, much, better now, rail doesnt get really dirty with this method,when it does,wipe it down with wd 40 and wipe in in real good,leave none of it,buff in with old t- shirt,rail always feels slick,but doesnt attract anything and my rail still looks brand new after all these years.doing this has been the best thing i have found and i have been doing it for many years now wilth no ill effect what so ever on a exomax,and my strings have lasted 100% longer than doing anything else! :Dthis is one case where i feel less is MORE.
2004 Exomax
same ole Varizone
Danny Miller's strings
20" Black Eagle Executioner's with Blazers
100 grain 2" Swackers
(why such wide limbs you ask?.......cause chicks dig em!)
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

When I bought my Micro I asked and Danny Miller and he told me not to use anything on my serving or rail.
I was afraid to ask him "why not"?
norm
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Danny is a little bit biased by the years of warranty work he did. He has seen many many triggers full of crap because guys over lubed/waxed. So there is something to be learned from that experience for sure. But a dry lube does not present any of those concerns. Similar to treating the rail with WD-40 like Bill T suggests in the videos - but ARCH OIL creates a much slicker surface.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><