Arrow Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowhunter10

Arrow Question

Post by xbowhunter10 »

A lot of the forum members here shoot the Black Eagle Executioners and I was just wondering if anyone has shot both the .001 and .003 straightness and could tell any difference in accuracy between the two .
nchunterkw

Re: Arrow Question

Post by nchunterkw »

What kind of accuracy are you thinking about? Long range target type accuracy or hunting type accuracy?
At hunting distances I can't see there being a difference. I've only shot the .003's because I only hunt with my crossbow and I can say they are one of the most accurate arrows I have shot, second only to the Zombie Slayer. 6 different arrows with 1 1/16" Slick Tricks will hold a 1.5" group at 40 yds
Last edited by nchunterkw on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

I have shot both out of my Ibex and can't say I notice any difference in accuracy at either 20 or 30 yds.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
xbowhunter10

Post by xbowhunter10 »

nchunterkw wrote:What kind of accuracy are you thinking about? Long range target type accuracy or hunting type accuracy?
Lets say a 4 arrow group off a bench from 50 yards . I have always shot Easton arrows from my Vortex and liked them just fine but I recently got a 355 that had 4 of the .003 Executioners with it so I cut the Eastons to the same length and fletched them the same as the Executioners . At 50 yards the Eastons group as good or maybe a little better than than the Executioners . The weight between the two is within 9 grains . Just made me wonder if the .001 would be more accurate or not .
Jerod B.

Post by Jerod B. »

On compounds, with longer arrow spans, weight seemed to affect things more. When comparing .003 and .001 arrows.

Some things we looked at with respect to spine deflection and what not, well, you have to wonder if we could even shoot good enough to notice a difference, when it gets down to that stuff.

However, with a crossbow, with a good rest, the human element is removed more so, than with a compound. So for piece of mind, get the best you can get, and you'll never have to worry........about that. :wink:
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I like the BEEs but I have NOT seen any difference between them and the Firebolts. Both are accurate when shot out of my Equinox.
Image Firebolts
Image BEEs
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
galamb

Post by galamb »

I am as guilty of anyone else of always looking for the "better option", "more accurate option", the newest/latest/greatest.

Depending what you are shooting at and how far away it is you don't need to over think it or reduce the weight of your wallet.

At 25 yards bare C2 shafts from Easton (yes bare - no fletching at all) can achieve sub 2" groups all day with a 100 grain field points - I have done it when testing every kind of fletching I could get a hold of.

If you hunt your bow and keep your shots to 35 yards or less, pick a bolt and stick with it - find a broadhead that flies well with it and call it good.

If you hunt bambi you have about an 8" target that will take you through the boiler room. The $3.00 Walmart bulk arrows from Allen with the $6.00/pack of 3 Allen broadheads will hit "that target" all day and kill bambi just as dead as the $11/bolt and $55/3 broadhead combination.

Every extra dollar you spend beyond that on your terminal gear is to make "you" more confident - it won't kill the deer any "deader".

Now I might sound like a hypocrite since I shoot GTLII's with Battle Axe broadheads - but I fully realize I shoot them because that's what I WANT to shoot, they are way more than I NEED to shoot.

If you "believe" that you would be "disadvantaged" by shooting .003's instead of .001's, you probably "will be" - because you "doubt" your gear = less accuracy.

If you are only worried/interested because "Bob" says they are so much better, either ignore Bob or pick up a couple for yourself and see if they are worth the extra bucks for "the way you shoot".
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

Wow Galamb!! You hit the nail on the head. It has taken me years to learn the difference between want and need. Yet at times I still find myself torn between wanting to keep it simple but fascinated by the new stuff in the marketplace.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Yes but I am sure glad I tried the new fangled Zombies when they came out ! :wink: :wink:
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
galamb

Post by galamb »

Hey, not knocking anyone that want's better/stronger/faster gear.

Like I said, I shoot Gold Tip Laser II's because I can get them to consistently group under an inch at 25 yards - oooooohh aaaaaahhhhh.

Seriously though a 3" group @ 25 yards would still be super lethal on a deer if I kept my shots to that or maybe 5 yards more (which I do) but I paid three times as much for a bolt to get sub-1" (and have 4 split bolts because I put one on top of it when it was in the target - what the heck, that's only 40 bucks worth of toasted arrows)

Do I feel better - yes, it gives me that little extra confidence knowing that if I "twitch" a little or experience some buck fever and pull my shot 2" in any direction that I'm still shooting within 3" of POA. Heck, I could probably even drift that another inch or two and still put the bolt through the boiler.

But like I said, I don't NEED that. I could have stuck with the firebolt's/boltcutters that came with the bow and not been any less lethal or successful - but I would have been many hundreds of bucks better off.

I have accessory boxes full of tried and didn't like broadheads - a tall box full of bolts of every mfg with just about every type of fletching I could get a hold of.

And despite all of that, if I am totally honest with myself and truly analyze every deer that has fallen to my crossbow, the truth is probably nothing would be different if I had of used any of the bolt/broadhead combinations that I have discarded over the years because there was something better/stronger/faster that I just HAD TO HAVE :lol:
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....we all at one time or another fall to the Madison Avenue Marketing Hype....present company most included....Graham...following your thinking, I would have stayed with the $300 Barnett Quad 400 that I shot two deer with two years ago...I would be about $4000 richer (when you factor in 2 kids who have the same M380 as mine)....but the way I look at it...it was just my entrance fee into this Excalibur Country Club where I have met some great people with a lot of knowledge..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

If you have confidence in your setup, it will work better for you. You can spend a lot of money with no change in accuracy, and sometimes little money with vast results. You have to try some things to get what you want out of your crossbow, and this forum offers no shortage of ideas. I suggest reading a lot, and make one, or two changes, then verify results. I have come to the conclusion that the bow is more accurate than me! :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
galamb

Post by galamb »

I guess what I'm really trying to get at is,

anyone, especially one just starting out in this sport/hobby (pick your tag) should discover for themselves when it's time or appropriate to upgrade.

Just because most of us here are shooting upgraded arrows/broadheads with different inserts, funky vanes with lighted nocks doesn't mean you should empty your wallet to get all that stuff "up front".

It's best to start with a "basic kit" and shoot it for a while. Shoot it a lot, and not just on a nice warm sunny day - see how it reacts when the wind is blowing (like it often does in hunting season).

Then after shooting for a bit and seeing how things are working, pick one thing you want to improve and change that. Or maybe change nothing if you are happy/confident with the results and you are only going to take the bow out if you "don't" get a deer in the gun or black powder season etc.

Then go at it again with the new (broadhead, bolt, nock - whatever you changed) - see if it improves what you were after.

(you wouldn't think I work in retail warehousing making some of my money from selling hunting stuff - shouldn't be trying to talk someone out of spending money on the glossy packaged accessories) :lol:
Graham