Go Pro

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sagedoc

Re: Go Pro

Post by sagedoc »

I mounted the GoPro to my crossbow and was hoping to get a video of the arrow hitting the hog, especially if I slowed the video afterwards. The problem was when I shot, the bow flinches a little when fired and caused a blurry picture for that second. I then bought the clamp mount with the adjusting neck and now hook it to the stand or tree and hit the wifi start button when I hear something. This way it is not on the crossbow and gives me a great video. I am also going to try to mount it with the clamp to a tree near the area where I expect to shoot and activate it remotely. I will get a closer view and I even was thinking of mounting it from the opposite side of where I am at to get "the hog's view" of the shot.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

You guys wearing Go Pro or using one on your bow: have someone hold your equipment in the field when sun is shining and watch. That dang clear box reflects sunlight just like a mirror. Hunted with a guy that wore one on headband once. Every move he made I could see from 200 yards away! I think better mounted on gorilla pod on ground or branch then use remote, that way no movement reflecting light. No animal was going anywhere near this guy.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Hunt it wrote:You guys wearing Go Pro or using one on your bow: have someone hold your equipment in the field when sun is shining and watch. That dang clear box reflects sunlight just like a mirror. Hunted with a guy that wore one on headband once. Every move he made I could see from 200 yards away! I think better mounted on gorilla pod on ground or branch then use remote, that way no movement reflecting light. No animal was going anywhere near this guy.
Works for me...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

I wear the head strap all the time and works flawlessly. I use it when deer hunting and when i am out with my Drahthaar after quail and pheasants. Love my go pro.
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Yep, that's what is needed for sure. I'd still check to see what reflection is like off of lens globe. Looks good.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have 2 cases, one is the clear case for doing stuff where my camera can be seen.
The other is the same case, but I gave it a non reflective camo paint job. Ugly as sin, but it works.
The lens globe is less reflective than a flat lens on a regular camera, but even before I painted it, I have never had an animal of any spices spot it.
I love mounting it to a shotgun for wing shooting, the footage is great. I have one video of my kid zapping crows with his 20 guage, one clip is him shooting a triple, the last bird being about 60 yards, and landing at his feet.
He does all my editing. As I said before the high quality video is easily edited for digital zoom during the editing process. Even a deer at 20 yards can fill a computer screen. Not so pretty before editing though, looks like the animal is in the next county.
One day out of boredom, we made a mount and put the camera right on an arrow, one of those projects that requires a helmet.
He can slow an arrow flight so you can see the arrows entire path at 20 yards, clearly. That is when you really get to see the effects of recoil on a camera.
With the newer software from GoPro I watch the camera from my phone when he is wearing it, or it is on his bow or gun. Start and stop video, capture stills, and change settings from a tree stand 10 feet away.
I can also download the video and pictures while he is still hunting, edit it and upload it from a tree.
My battery is starting to go, not sure if I am going to replace it, or upgrade to the newest GoPro. I think it would be cool to have one on the bow, and one on the target, he could blend those together with the right software. A split screen of that arrows flight would be neat.
I am a picture junkie, I am not a good photographer, but I make up for it in quantity.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

I too use the clamp with the goose neck mount. Clamps right onto the stand.

I haven't tried the 'Normal' view mode yet - but plan to, as the shots look too far away in 'Wide' mode.

There are blacked out boxes available I believe on Ebay. Really like the GoPro for its durability and being waterproof.

Iamarealtree

Post by Iamarealtree »

So I got the GoPro sorted and set up properly on my second round of practice shots with it, shooting 120 frames per second, this is what I got in terms of slo-mo footage... a bit of fun anyway. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Nc7Yohsd0

Aaron.
Excalibur Ibex - Flemish string
GoPro scope mounted
Firebolts / Boltcutters
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

I have mine set on the "narrow" field of view because I don't want the fish eye distortion, and also want the animal as large as possible in the shot. It may be narrow compared the the typical, ultra wide Go Pro stuff, but believe me, there's still lots of width in the shot. Interestingly, and what I was looking for, I took a short video of one of my favorite spots, on the ground. When I got home and uploaded it, I was very pleased that the relative size and distance of things in the shot looked darn close to what my eyes see, and would be plenty good for seeing shot placement and so forth out to normal hunting ranges..... With lighted nocks of course.

I also turned off all lights, bells and whistles.......