Never Hunted With a Crossbow "Yet"

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Possum

Never Hunted With a Crossbow "Yet"

Post by Possum »

I am new on this forum. I have bowhunted with vertical compound bows and recurve bows for 32 years. Only missed 2 years hunting due to some serious injuries about 27 years ago from a 1972 Buick Regal slipping off the bumper jacks. (learned the very hard way to ALWAYS use jackstands) I have owned, shot and practiced with both compound and recurve crossbows for about four years but never hunted with either. That is about to change starting this spring. The old injuries from 27 years ago came back to haunt me this past deer season as I found that it was too painful to draw and shoot my 70 lb vertical compound bow. After much research and a lot of time cruising this forum I got rid of the other two crossbows that i had and bought new Matrix 330. I would like to thank everyone here who takes the time to post all the very helpful information that I used in making my decision (never to old to learn. I had been looking at Excaliburs for many years and when the Matrix 330 came out it caught my attention. I almost went for the Micro 335 but I don't think my shoulders would hold out on the 270 lbs draw weight without a crank.
I've already installed Danny's RBBBs and added a cheek piece and decided real quick to get a custom flemish string ASAP The only problem now is deciding who I will get the string from as there seems to be a lot of highly skilled and recommended string makers on this forum. Its no problem adding twists to the string that came with the bow, I just don't like having to stop and do it before, during and after I shoot. (I do keep a close watch on my brace height)
I will be ordering an ADF scope mount but I have one concern there... From what I can tell, it looks like the arrow retaining arm/spring sets quit a bit further forward on the rail of the Matrix 330 with ADF Mount... Is this so? and if so does this cause any problems?
I will also be ordering a doz Gold Tip Pro series II shafts soon so that I can get busy building some arrows.
I really do like my Matrix 330 but now i'm afraid that after I get finished switching out the scope, trigger and trying out different strings that I may be tempted to go after the Micro 335
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Php 4:13
Boo

Re: Never Hunted With a Crossbow "Yet"

Post by Boo »

Get a couple of strings from Danny Miller. He's in Sardis Ohio, right across from Paden City.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Possum wrote:I will be ordering an ADF scope mount but I have one concern there... From what I can tell, it looks like the arrow retaining arm/spring sets quit a bit further forward on the rail of the Matrix 330 with ADF Mount... Is this so? and if so does this cause any problems?
I will also be ordering a doz Gold Tip Pro series II shafts soon so that I can get busy building some arrows.
I really do like my Matrix 330 but now i'm afraid that after I get finished switching out the scope, trigger and trying out different strings that I may be tempted to go after the Micro 335
Welcome to the forum. Yes it is so.......the retainer will move further down the rail and it looks out of place but it still functions as it should.........no problem. However, I did put on a Micro arrow retainer as it does improve loading an arrow by not having to place it so far down the rail to get in front of the retainer. Order it directly from Excalibur ($20....make sure you insist on the Micro arrow retainer). I've done all the stuff you are contemplating to do on your 330.............and I won't be trading it in for a 335 :lol:
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
bubba

Post by bubba »

Welcome to the forum and your new 330 Excalibur crossbow.As far as custom Flemish strings go look no further than the trading post. just click on board index, there are some great sting makers here, boo the guy who said check out Danny Miller is probably the most famous string maker any where, but there are others in the trading section all are very good.. And if you later decide to try the new micro 335 well its always good to have two bows you will always have a back up smile, again welcome.........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats on the new Xbow, and welcome to the forum.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....yes and Amen to everything previously said...with regard to the 335... I purchased one... It is a little bit of a beast to cock...I can cock it on my own...even with a bad back, and both of my shoulders are shot...it's the last inch that's a biach... But it's manageable... With that said I still will be using the C2 crank at the range... Why tempt faith?...

Welcome aboard and enjoy your new bow....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Welcome n the 330 is a real nice model to have. It will do what you need it to. Get yerself couple extra strings, & a stringing aid
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Welcome to the forum Possum, it's good to have you here. :D I'm with Bubba re the strings but I personally shoot a Boo string. Whichever you buy I suggest getting two of the same. Shoot one until it's settled in then remove it and shoot in the other one. I actually put a small mark on the side of my rail where my string needs to sit for a quick brace height reference. Also,rather than chasing the brace height try setting the string 3/8" - 1/2" from where you want your brace height to end up. Thr extra tension will help settle tthe string faster and within about 75 shots the majority of settling should be done. You will still have to make adjustments of half a twist or so here and there. There are a lot of good arrows out there but the majority of us shoot Black Eagle Zombie Slayers for a reason, I believe they're the best. Congratulations on a great bow and again, welcome. :D

.....and as mentioned the stringing aid is a must.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Possum

Post by Possum »

I actually had the stringing aid before the crossbow arrived and I will definatly be ordering a couple of flemish strings to replace the stock string real soon. Ive already put contact info on pc and cell phone for several string makers most of whom have already responded to this topic.
Thanks "ehntr" for the info about the micro arrow retainer, I will most likley go that route.
I still have several things I want to do with the Matrix 330,, arrows to fletch and strings to order. Can hardly wait to go at them turkeys spring.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Php 4:13
Fletch2

Post by Fletch2 »

Welcome to the forum :D
2012 vortex
vixenmaster string
Patriot*

Post by Patriot* »

Welcome, don't shoot a 335 micro or you will really want one. The truth.
Don't ask me how I know. :lol: simply perfect.

Patriot
Genesis 27:3
M/380 xtra Real Tree
Micro 335 Real Tree
Micro 335 Nightmare
Axiom 305 Real Tree
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome and congrats on the 330!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Welcome! .... As long as your bow says Excalibur on it you are good to go ... :mrgreen:
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
strum

Post by strum »

Mo wannabe wrote:Welcome! .... As long as your bow says Excalibur on it you are good to go ... :mrgreen:
Truest statement made today..or ever :D welcome and congrats
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16