Replacement Limbs for Excal?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

learn2flyfish

Replacement Limbs for Excal?

Post by learn2flyfish »

My question may seem strange but I'm interested in taking the power down a bit.

There's an Excaliber for sale that doesn't have any limbs, just the stock and trigger. I believe that originally it was designed to be a 300 fps bow. I'm starting 3D archery and I think I'd like to toned down a bit but still strong enough to hunt with. Alabama law states that I have to have a minimum of 100lbs of cocking force. IIRC the older Vixen I had once was 150 lbs and was very accurate. Can I get somewhere between the Apex and my older Vixen?

And if I'm not thinking correctly about this, feel free to straighten me out.

Thanks,

Paul
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Boo

Re: Replacement Limbs for Excal?

Post by Boo »

You didn't mention a riser or the length of the rail, which can change things. If you have a 300 ft/sec bow with a limb forward riser (Pheonix), you can tone it down to Vixen speeds by using a straight riser.
All mag tip limbs for the older bows are the same poundage.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
TPM

Post by TPM »

You could tone it down by shortening the rail to the appropriate length but to be honest I wouldn't want a 3D bow to shoot much less than standard Vixen speeds. The 90 lb Apex is great for 20 yard target shooting but 3D will often take you out to 40+ yards. With the increased trajectory you get with slower bows you'd better be dead on with distance judging especially past 30 yards. I shoot my share of 3D and I find my Phoenix to be a good balance of speed and ease of cocking. If I were you I'd throw a pair of standard limbs on and try it first before considoring any modifications.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
learn2flyfish

Post by learn2flyfish »

Okay, those ideas sound reasonable.

The bow is a Relayer Y25. I'm not sure about riser or rail length.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

learn2flyfish wrote:Okay, those ideas sound reasonable.

The bow is a Relayer Y25. I'm not sure about riser or rail length.
Forward riser and Exocet 200 powerstroke, (200# and 330fps) unless it's been tinkered with.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
TPM

Post by TPM »

Not to discourage you but in 3D shoots you you'll be carrying your bow as much as you'll be shooting it and often in the summer heat. The Y25 is no lightweight. Not a problem if you're young but old farts like me put a lot of stock in keeping our gear light. Something to think about.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I shoot 3D with an older brown Vixen and pretty OK with it - often better than faster xbows. 8) Technique and range estimation experience is worth more than FPS.

Most of all - have FUN. That's what it's all about. Hauling a heavy bow that makes you look forward to the end of the course takes some of the joy out of 3D. Find some good pals to compete with, do some trash talking, and have FUN! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

Another option to consider is the new Grizzly model .Nice and light but with plenty of power. This would be my choice for a first crossbow.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings