150 grain broadheads....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gamikatsu

150 grain broadheads....

Post by Gamikatsu »

I LOVE the bolt cutters. i used them with my Vortex, and Gold Tip laser 2 with brass inserts... i know thats a little Overkill for FOC but i had NO problems with them, in fact they shot well out to 60 yards with no issues. I plan on shooting 150 grain tips out of this one, more or less to slow the FPS down and try to tame the beast (405 mega). What i would like to know is... are the muzzy 150 Crossbolts any better than the boltcutters? I know the Boltcutters are Innerlocs made to Excal's specs. What are the general thoughts? i am sure that most everyone is going to say Boltcutters over muzzy's but i just wanted to ask.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
Squatch

Re: 150 grain broadheads....

Post by Squatch »

I am also curious since I got the same Xbow yesterday! The Bolt Cutters are only 1 1/16th cut I believe...seems to be a waste of energy with a 400fps arrow to me!
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Squatch wrote:I am also curious since I got the same Xbow yesterday! The Bolt Cutters are only 1 1/16th cut I believe...seems to be a waste of energy with a 400fps arrow to me!
That is an interesting way of looking at it (waste of energy). I have never applied that train of thought........and there are a few or more thought processes out there :)

The cutting width of a broadhead has never really been a factor in my thinking......other than from a legal context (as there may be restrictions in hunting regs on min width)..........until the FOC reared it's head. Now that bh needs some power behind it to push through a large bodied animal.

I would rather have a pass through than not have a pass through. A narrower bh will accomplish this more readily over a wide bh shot from a bow of the same power. While an FOC shot from a 405 may force it's way through some bone, the blades would not likely survive.

a .30 cal or 7mm rifle bullet is the same diameter no matter what cartridge is behind it. It may be a cartridge the pushes the projectile at 2400 fps or 3400 fps. Lots to consider there too and I know that bh's are for hemorrhaging and bullets are for shocking...

I think an FOC on any Matrix (330-405) or a Micro would be a good choice for deer sized animals but so would a 150gr fixed head such as the Boltcutter. I just received some FOC's in the mail......only because of the reviews (mostly from SEW) on this forum. But I really like the Boltcutters......they just shoot good for me and a deer or antelope has never escaped the sting of my Boltcutters. I would always pick a Boltcutter vs an FOC for moose.

I can make a case that when using a lighter/medium powered bow, that a Boltcutter will always work but the same cannot be said for the same bow using an FOC.

Now it's true that I am using extremes as an example.........and a good broadside shot through a deer's boiler room will avoid all bones except for some soft ribs and take out any deer using pretty much any bh.

The power from a 405 is not wasted if an arrow passes through or makes a smaller hole. I mostly think of trajectory (extended range) when it comes to faster bows and not how much wider a hole it will punch..............these are my humble ramblings...
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
galamb

Post by galamb »

Interesting and glad you posted positive results with the boltcutters and GT's with the heavy insert up front.

Something I have never tested myself (the bolt cutters really chew up my targets) but often wondered what would happen with 260 or so grains up front.

As to "wasted energy" - if you shoot anything stronger/faster than a Vix II you have "gobs" of wasted energy already - like what does it matter if you blast right through with 40lbs of KE or 95lbs - the 40 makes it all the way through so what you need the extra 55 to do? - make sure it goes 10" into the ground after a pass through instead of only 4 or 5"?

Not picking a fight here, but most on here shoot "extreme power", far more than is needed for any Whitetail and most Elk and Moose for that matter.

I see you guys/gals shooting 380's and 405's doing so because that's what you "WANT" to shoot, because most of you don't "NEED" to shoot anywhere near that much power...
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

galamb wrote:Interesting and glad you posted positive results with the boltcutters and GT's with the heavy insert up front.

Something I have never tested myself (the bolt cutters really chew up my targets) but often wondered what would happen with 260 or so grains up front.

As to "wasted energy" - if you shoot anything stronger/faster than a Vix II you have "gobs" of wasted energy already - like what does it matter if you blast right through with 40lbs of KE or 95lbs - the 40 makes it all the way through so what you need the extra 55 to do? - make sure it goes 10" into the ground after a pass through instead of only 4 or 5"?

Not picking a fight here, but most on here shoot "extreme power", far more than is needed for any Whitetail and most Elk and Moose for that matter.

Uh oh! ....I see a storm a brewin'.... :shock:
I see you guys/gals shooting 380's and 405's doing so because that's what you "WANT" to shoot, because most of you don't "NEED" to shoot anywhere near that much power...
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Squatch

Post by Squatch »

I completely understand the whole deal, trust me...I was a competitive compound archer for approx. 30yrs and I have my own indoor range and still compete from time to time now when work allows free time.
I am also a fixed blade guy because expandable broadheads seem to always give Murphy's Law results for me. I could be standing side by side to someone else shooting them and they would have perfect results and mine would shatter in the air on its way because I deserve it or something...lol!
I also know that a projectile shooting approx 400fps with a fixed head could potentially be a challenge for precision, which is my number one concern. However, I was asking if someone else shoots a tad larger fixed blade with good results...and first is accuracy, then dependability, etc....I am not opposed to trying a fixed blade, but given my luck I could shoot a deer broadside right in the boiler room and it would bounce back and hit me in the eye!!
So before anyone thinks they are talking to a rookie, stop...not even close! I am new to crossbows, but compounds are in my blood...I eat, sleep, and defecate archery and always will.
That being said, I am looking for results and opinions are fine, but I want honest answers from people that actually shoot approx 400fps. I won't even go there on the bullet conversation about ballistic coefficients, and sectional densities, an hydronic shock due to velocity, etc....lets stick to archery and realize that most of us on here are die hard hunters and shooters looking for actual good examples! Oh yeah, I ALSO WANT A FLAT TRAJECTORY!