Who Uses A Arrow Retention Arm Noise Dampener?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Onetimeonly x-->

Re: Who Uses A Arrow Retention Arm Noise Dampener?

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Onetimeonly x--> wrote:Image
1.5" of a Daisy Sling Shot Band "replacement band" kills any sound, covered from the bottom up with a cut to fit piece of "No-Mar" gun/bow tape from Hunters Specialties, super slick and extremely durable. With a strip of camo cloth tape on top for cosmetics and extra securing. Hundreds of shots per tape and some, clearance on vanes non issue. Only 1/16" of tape makes contact with arrow, best dampener I've used. All my local Excal friends are setup the same :wink: :wink:
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

flightattendant100 wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:
amythntr wrote:Image[/URL]

...shrink wrap tubing for me too on my ....Nightmare 335 8) .... also....found it in "tactical black" in a well known "tactical supply store" ....named Home Depot :roll: :roll: :roll: ...double shrink wrapped the tip!

Anthony :)
Anthony, what happened fratello? Did you run out of shrink wrap? You need another inch on there. :shock: :wink:

Paul
Nawww, look closer, he has one layer run on up a couple inches and a second layer on the tip. Looks great A. Is that one of Danny's wild color strings? looks good too.
Ahhh, now I see it. Thanks F100 for pointing that out. Sorry Anthony for breakin your colionnes. :wink: That looks great. :D.......btw...let's see if your pic starts the 'hooks over vs hooks under' debate? :shock: :D
Last edited by paulaboutform on Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
gametrail

Post by gametrail »

I was thinking about the Excalibur Air Brakes - Noise Suppressors for Excalibur Matrix & Micro Crossbows what do you all think about it.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

StormDragon wrote:

...shrink wrap tubing for me too on my ....Nightmare 335 8) .... also....found it in "tactical black" in a well known "tactical supply store" ....named Home Depot :roll: :roll: :roll: ...double shrink wrapped the tip!

What size tubing did you use for your Micro arm?
...Let me check and I will report back tonight!

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

Noise is form of energy. The arrow retainer can make 2 noises. One is a metallic tick from hitting the mainframe. The other is a buzz/vibration.
In the first case anything that isolates the retainer from the rail works. So you can use tape or anything like moleskin etc.
The arm can buzz with or without hitting the mainframe and it does so at a certain frequency. Just like a tuning fork, add weight and that changes the frequency to a point where it takes a much higher jolt than shooting an arrow to get the retainer to vibrate. The same principle applies to the stirrup.
So the reason I use double walled/self sealing heat shrink is because it weighs much more than regular heat shrink and it isolates the retainer from the main frame at the same time.
You could put a small piece of mole skin where the arrow retainer can touch the main frame and then add a automotive wheel weight to the retainer or better yet, a bead of silicone.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....FA100...no that is the string that comes with the ...Nightmare 335 8) ...I absolutely love the color...I am having Boo make up one for me...along with one in "pank" which I love....

...Paulaboutform is busting my "coulones" thinking I only put a little bit of shrink wrap on my ....Nightmare 335 8) ...but I am glad that you were much more observant than he..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

StormDragon wrote:

Image[/URL]

Raychem 3" 2:1 shrink ratio...fits perfectly on my ....Nightmare 335 8) .."arra" retainer arm....

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

amythntr wrote:
StormDragon wrote:

Image[/URL]

Anthony, I'm breakin em with love fratello! :wink:

Raychem 3" 2:1 shrink ratio...fits perfectly on my ....Nightmare 335 8) .."arra" retainer arm....

You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....Back at ya Paul...."with love" :wink:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

amythntr wrote:.....Back at ya Paul...."with love" :wink:

Y'all dont get TOO chummy now! :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

flightattendant100 wrote:
amythntr wrote:.....Back at ya Paul...."with love" :wink:

Y'all dont get TOO chummy now! :lol:
Too late :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

StormDragon wrote:A few questions about the shrink tubing.

1) can I get it lowes and if so, what size?
2) do you just slide it on and if so, how/what do you use as a heat source to shrink it?
3) how far up the arm do you go and won't the tubing on the bend closest to the barrel slow the arrow down?

Thanks 8 advance
1. I think I answered that... 3" x 1/2 to 5/8,

2. Yep ... Slide on... Simple match to heat

3. 3" .... Haven't noticed

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

Ok..so I put the shrink tube on my retainer arm last thinking I was good to go, however, when I went to test fire this morning the Ignitor nock didnt want to slide under/passed the tubing.

I had to lift the arm up with a finger and finagle the nock under it to slide it into position, did I do something wrong, is this normal or do I have cut the tubing away from the arm where it makes contact with the nock and arrpw?

Use Anthonys picture as an example since I did mine very similar.

Thanks in advance
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

StormDragon wrote:Ok..so I put the shrink tube on my retainer arm last thinking I was good to go, however, when I went to test fire this morning the Ignitor nock didnt want to slide under/passed the tubing.

I had to lift the arm up with a finger and finagle the nock under it to slide it into position, did I do something wrong, is this normal or do I have cut the tubing away from the arm where it makes contact with the nock and arrpw?

Thanks in advance

....hmmm? I had no issues with mine....let me double check tonight with an Ignitor that I have on my ZS...will report back tonight SD.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

amythntr wrote:
StormDragon wrote:Ok..so I put the shrink tube on my retainer arm last thinking I was good to go, however, when I went to test fire this morning the Ignitor nock didnt want to slide under/passed the tubing.

Thanks in advance

....hmmm? I had no issues with mine....let me double check tonight with an Ignitor that I have on my ZS...will report back tonight SD.

Thanks Anthony

I think I might have figured out the problem, not only did I double up the tubing, i also ran it under the arm so it comes in contact with the rail on the bottom and nock on the top.

So essentially the nock edge is hitting the rubber tubing and going nope, not going any further.

I just cut it off and am going to redo it . This time I'm gonna just put the tubing further up the arm towards the scope mount so it doesn't make any contact with either the rail or nock. Gonna leave the end and tip of the arm tubing free.

Sounds like a plan anyway lol
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus