lubrication of the trigger, help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DavideSpeed

lubrication of the trigger, help

Post by DavideSpeed »

hello guys, I have a matrix 380 blackout and I would lubricate the trigger to improve the softness and fluidity of the pressure, I read here in the forum recommended that the MoS2 which as I understand is spray..
I confirmed this correct product for lubrication?
other question, I have fat black molybdenum disulfide:

can be ok or should I spray?

Thank's guys!
Boo

Re: lubrication of the trigger, help

Post by Boo »

It already has MoS2 applied during assembly.
If you think you have a legitimate complaint about the trigger call the factory.
The factor uses MoS2 in a 40% grease form.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bubba

Post by bubba »

I just put a drop or two every month or so, Of the Excalibur trigger oil I bought with my bow. Seems to work fine for me and the trigger.......
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Boo

Post by Boo »

Bubba, a few years ago, I introduced the MoS2 grease that they still use today to Excalibur. Prior to that they used white lithium grease to assemble their trigger units.
MoS2 is used in the automotive industry primarily as an anti-galling agent. One example is bearing assembly on a new crankshaft or connecting rod bearing. It is applied there so that the bearing and journal is protected while the engine is being cranked over the first time while the oil is being pumped to the crankshaft. Another place for MoS2 is the engine oil. It is often used to lubricate areas of EP (extreme pressure) like the camshaft, where no bearings normally exist. The upper cylinder head is the area of highest wear (esp on start up). MoS2 impregnates the pores of the cam and protects it while it is waiting for the oil to reach the upper parts of the engine.
MoS2's primary working agent is Sulfur. Sulfur "likes" metal, so it easily attaches itself to the sear surfaces and forms a tenacious layer . At the same time, sulfur molecules do not like other sulfur molecules. So the sulfur molecules that are not attached to the sear surfaces act like ball bearings between the molecules that are attached to the sears.
That been said, too much oil into the trigger unit will wash away the MoS2. Personally, I add no oil to the trigger unit. I understand that Excalibur sells an Ex-Oil but I think it is best suited to the older bows that were assembled with white lithium grease. White lithium grease has a nasty habit of hardening and a small amount of Ex-Oil will go a long way in improving things. However, a lot of oil in any trigger unit is asking for trouble.

BTW, as I am only a lowly mechanic, I am open to any correction by more knowledgeable individuals and would welcome any additional schooling.
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

Don would my 96' model vixen trigger units benefit from being carefully disassembled cleaned and re-lubed with MoS2 grease ? The vixen's trigger is a bit gritty , not enough to affect accuracy but it is noticeable . My Exocet 165s trigger is noticeably smoother .
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

MI Yeti wrote:Don would my 96' model vixen trigger units benefit from being carefully disassembled cleaned and re-lubed with MoS2 grease ? The vixen's trigger is a bit gritty , not enough to affect accuracy but it is noticeable . My Exocet 165s trigger is noticeably smoother .
I would hit it with 2 drops on either side of the latch a couple of times and use the bow to let the oil do it's work. The point being, use as little as possible. You might be better off to have Danny clean up the trigger for you.
DavideSpeed

Post by DavideSpeed »

then the fat of MoS2 is the best solution and currently used at the factory Excalibur, so if I wanted to lubricate it'll use a little bit of what I put in the picture on the pins and between the stock and the trigger.
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

Boo wrote:
MI Yeti wrote:Don would my 96' model vixen trigger units benefit from being carefully disassembled cleaned and re-lubed with MoS2 grease ? The vixen's trigger is a bit gritty , not enough to affect accuracy but it is noticeable . My Exocet 165s trigger is noticeably smoother .
I would hit it with 2 drops on either side of the latch a couple of times and use the bow to let the oil do it's work. The point being, use as little as possible. You might be better off to have Danny clean up the trigger for you.
I don't think the amount of grit or roughness in my vixens trigger is do to any thing else than old grease/dirt etc .I do not intend to change any angles or modify any thing . i have worked on triggers before .

adding oil on a regular basis just seems like it would gum things up or get into places it should not be such as the sear engagement . even when used in a small amount ,it seems it would add up . I am probably over thinking things , i tend to do that .
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

DavideSpeed wrote:then the fat of MoS2 is the best solution and currently used at the factory Excalibur, so if I wanted to lubricate it'll use a little bit of what I put in the picture on the pins and between the stock and the trigger.
Everything you want to do will be redundant. You will not improve the trigger of the trigger pull.
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I had a expert trigger man up in Canada work my trigger over on a beast one time years ago ...... I now listen when he talks ..... :shock: :lol: :lol:
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
bubba

Post by bubba »

Mo wannabe wrote:I had a expert trigger man up in Canada work my trigger over on a beast one time years ago ...... I now listen when he talks ..... :shock: :lol: :lol:
X-2 on that............
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

don, when did Excal switch over to this MoS2 grease, just wondering which grease my Exocet 200 would have ?

this is the same lubricant used on Moly coated bullets, is it not ?
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Boo

Post by Boo »

Bullzeye wrote:don, when did Excal switch over to this MoS2 grease, just wondering which grease my Exocet 200 would have ?

this is the same lubricant used on Moly coated bullets, is it not ?
Yep, it's the same as Moly coated bullets.
They switched about 3/4 yrs ago.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

[quote="Boo"]Bubba, a few years ago, I introduced the MoS2 grease that they still use today to Excalibur. Prior to that they used white lithium grease to assemble their trigger units.
MoS2 is used in the automotive industry primarily as an anti-galling agent. One example is bearing assembly on a new crankshaft or connecting rod bearing. It is applied there so that the bearing and journal is protected while the engine is being cranked over the first time while the oil is being pumped to the crankshaft. Another place for MoS2 is the engine oil. It is often used to lubricate areas of EP (extreme pressure) like the camshaft, where no bearings normally exist. The upper cylinder head is the area of highest wear (esp on start up). MoS2 impregnates the pores of the cam and protects it while it is waiting for the oil to reach the upper parts of the engine.
MoS2's primary working agent is Sulfur. Sulfur "likes" metal, so it easily attaches itself to the sear surfaces and forms a tenacious layer . At the same time, sulfur molecules do not like other sulfur molecules. So the sulfur molecules that are not attached to the sear surfaces act like ball bearings between the molecules that are attached to the sears.
That been said, too much oil into the trigger unit will wash away the MoS2. Personally, I add no oil to the trigger unit. I understand that Excalibur sells an Ex-Oil but I think it is best suited to the older bows that were assembled with white lithium grease. White lithium grease has a nasty habit of hardening and a small amount of Ex-Oil will go a long way in improving things. However, a lot of oil in any trigger unit is asking for trouble.

BTW, as I am only a lowly mechanic, I am open to any correction by more knowledgeable individuals and would welcome any additional schooling.[ Anything in excess is not good but I agree whith what Boo says I think it will attract dirt and dirt will hurt :wink:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things

Post by newbie »

Mo wannabe wrote:I had a expert trigger man up in Canada work my trigger over on a beast one time years ago ...... I now listen when he talks ..... :shock: :lol: :lol:
:idea: he does sound like he knows what he is saying!
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!