Does Paracord Hold/Collect Scent Like Regular Fabric?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

StormDragon

Does Paracord Hold/Collect Scent Like Regular Fabric?

Post by StormDragon »

I'm considering asking my step-daughters boyfriend to weave/wrap the stock of my Micro with black paracord to personalize it more.

However, before I do I was wondering if the paracord would hold/collect scent like other types of fabric (Esp if i use it with a ghillie to spot and stalk)?
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
Starvin' Hillbilly

Re: Does Paracord Hold/Collect Scent Like Regular Fabric?

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

StormDragon, i've used that stuff (550/ paracord) ever since i was introduced to it in 87'. Have always used it for boot laces and to pull up my gear. like everything else it'll lose that "new" smell after exposed to the wild. just a heads up . . it will stretch some when wet and when it drys it will shrink and pull up tighter than expected on your stock lashing. I use it also on my ghillie. the biggest thing w/ ghillies is if they don't dry property they mold and stink
-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

Starvin' Hillbilly wrote:StormDragon, i've used that stuff (550/ paracord) ever since i was introduced to it in 87'. Have always used it for boot laces and to pull up my gear. like everything else it'll lose that "new" smell after exposed to the wild. just a heads up . . it will stretch some when wet and when it drys it will shrink and pull up tighter than expected on your stock lashing.
-ken
Thanks Ken,

I'm guessing besides airing it out, I could spray it with scent blocker a little when I go out?

I'm gonna ask him to pull the inner fillimant out of it too so it's just the shell, from what he told and showed me with other stuff he's made/wrapped, the cord lays flatter and can be weaved/wrapped tighter because of it

Elite Synergy; Krampus
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yes it will hold scent in its fibers, so let a Doe p on it yer good to go :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

vixenmaster wrote:Yes it will hold scent in its fibers, so let a Doe p on it yer good to go :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

vixenmaster wrote:Yes it will hold scent in its fibers, so let a Doe p on it yer good to go :)
I have a hard enough time getting them to come to shoot them! How do you propose I get one to pee on one Put a sample cup on it and hope she misses? :lol:

Elite Synergy; Krampus
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I am sorry they avoid you. I have to throw acorns at them to get to leave my stand area so i can get down :) Jus ask one that should work. Maybe, maybe not if'en they don't knowed you. If'en yer not seein any up close yer doin sumpin wrong.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

vixenmaster wrote:I am sorry they avoid you. I have to throw acorns at them to get to leave my stand area so i can get down :) Jus ask one that should work. Maybe, maybe not if'en they don't knowed you. If'en yer not seein any up close yer doin sumpin wrong.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
bubba

Post by bubba »

Storm, using just the outer cord will definitely produce a strong flat wrap.. And could really make for good looking dress up, I enjoy Paracord and have used many different knots and weaves to make a lot of things, still do from dog collars to bow slings its great stuff!! As for it picking up smell, I wouldn't use the doe pee smile, I use 100 ft cut lots most of the time, and always drop the lots in boiling water for 20 or so seconds and hang them up to air dry, this shrinks the cord and takes about 5to 10 ft in length out but, once installed will eliminate all the stretching problems, and can be washed and air dried, then a little scent away from time to time will be ok. If you decide to have it done, sure would like to see the end result.. PARACORD is cool.......
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

bubba wrote:Storm, using just the outer cord will definitely produce a strong flat wrap.. And could really make for good looking dress up, I enjoy Paracord and have used many different knots and weaves to make a lot of things, still do from dog collars to bow slings its great stuff!! As for it picking up smell, I wouldn't use the doe pee smile, I use 100 ft cut lots most of the time, and always drop the lots in boiling water for 20 or so seconds and hang them up to air dry, this shrinks the cord and takes about 5to 10 ft in length out but, once installed will eliminate all the stretching problems, and can be washed and air dried, then a little scent away from time to time will be ok. If you decide to have it done, sure would like to see the end result.. PARACORD is cool.......
Thanks for the advice about boiling. Do you boil with the core in and then remove it or remove the core first then boil the outer shell only?

Elite Synergy; Krampus
bubba

Post by bubba »

Boil the cord first, and then take out the inner cords.. Good luck and keep us posted..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I would think any kind of material (para cord included) would absorb scent from your hands. I would think it would hold moisture also, but para cord is rot proof so that should not be a problem.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

bubba wrote:Boil the cord first, and then take out the inner cords.. Good luck and keep us posted..
Thanks for the input and def!

Elite Synergy; Krampus