Bolts and fletching

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dannyboy

Bolts and fletching

Post by dannyboy »

Hi all, I have been signed up for a while but this is my first post. Seems every previous question I had, I found the answer using search.

Been using a borrowed Exomax for a few years for local deer season and recently bought a new Matrix 380. Plan to use it primarily for hunting; turkey and whitetails. Have hunted a fair bit with shotgun, rifle and vertical bows.

My questions are: do the fletches tend to come off during target shooting? will I need a fletching tool? should just I buy unfletched shafts and do my own so they are consistent?
The Arizona Rim EZ Fletch Bolt seems the popular choice here, I am a helicopter mechanic/farmer so should have no difficulty using it I suppose?

Will be buying BEA zombies and either G5 Striker or Slicktrick broadheads and a Boo string - anything else I need?

Thanks
Dan
Matrix 380
Big John BE Zombie Slayers
G5 Montech
Lake shooter

Re: Bolts and fletching

Post by Lake shooter »

I have only shot the stock Diablos that come with the package, and until I got a Rinehart target, every shot was buried at least to the knock, usually much worse.
Many times, the shaft was so deep in the 22" thick target that I could not find or get to the nock to use the screw in puller, so I had to do it from the front by uncrewing the point!!!! :shock:

I have yet to lose a vane, or even have one show any sign of lifting.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I use the Bohning triple tower jig - does all three vanes at once. Hubby and I go through a fair number of arrows each year at tournaments so it's worth it for me.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

Great thanks for the information.

Dan
Matrix 380
Big John BE Zombie Slayers
G5 Montech
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Welcome to Forum, the vanes in general don't fall off unless poor glue or pre-cleanin on shaft was done. Of course if'en you shoot groups then anudder arrow can take vanes off n also ruin arrows. I didn't like the EZ Bolt fletcher, so i sold mine. I went back to the EZ Helical rh fletcher fer Alum. it does the carbon sizes we use.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Dan. Welcome to the forum. Great choice with the zombies, they're far superior to the stock arrows. The bolt is also a great choice and absolutely what I recommend. The only other recommendations I have are a set of plier pullers. I see you're in Ontario, contact Boo, you can get some from him. Also, get a stringing aid. This is a MUST have. Ask Boo if he has any kicking around.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

vixenmaster wrote:Welcome to Forum, the vanes in general don't fall off unless poor glue or pre-cleanin on shaft was done. Of course if'en you shoot groups then anudder arrow can take vanes off n also ruin arrows. I didn't like the EZ Bolt fletcher, so i sold mine. I went back to the EZ Helical rh fletcher fer Alum. it does the carbon sizes we use.
Mike, could you explain why you liked the Right helical pro over the bolt?
norm
SEW

Post by SEW »

vixenmaster wrote:Welcome to Forum, the vanes in general don't fall off unless poor glue or pre-cleanin on shaft was done. Of course if'en you shoot groups then anudder arrow can take vanes off n also ruin arrows. I didn't like the EZ Bolt fletcher, so i sold mine. I went back to the EZ Helical rh fletcher fer Alum. it does the carbon sizes we use.
I second this.
My findings: for fixed Broadheads, helical Blazers are the most accurate I've found; but for Expandible broadheads and field points 4 degree right offset Blazers are more accurate. Keep your total insert/point weight 190-235gs. Helical has more drag so stay a little towards the heavier end. Field tips require the least wt up front, fixed broadheads require the most.