How loud is a crankaroo

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tomcat

Re: How loud is a crankaroo

Post by tomcat »

Without the pawl engaged, it is deadly silent. I had one that squeaked so I took it apart and cleaned the teflon spacer with alcohol and it became silent once again.
I rarely ever engage the pawl anyways, but one time the knob slipped out of my hand almost at full cock and it came around faster than snot and smacked the top of my hand...Needless to say it hurt a bit (but no broken bones or anything) and I had a black/blue bruise the next day. I'm a little more careful, but I still don't use it because the Ratchet noise just drives me bats..
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Man, you were lucky! :shock: :oops:

On the noise thing, I have watched a buck stand perfectly still after a bullet, make that TWO bullets went zinging right over the top of his neck and hit the dirt behind him, followed of course by the report of the .308. It wasn't that he wasn't scared (I think) as much as the sounds were coming from 180 degrees to his frame of reference, almost together. I think that he was trying to figure out what in the heck was happening and/or which way to run!

No two deer are alike, and deer don't always do anything. I agree about the deep woods thingy as compared to those who live in areas with some human activity, to a point. The buck that turned inside out at the slight "pop" of my knee was on a military base, where on any given day there may be troops moving through the woods and/or shooting, not to mention vehicles. They MAY get used to those sounds when they hear them enough, but they don't hear knees or joints popping that much, or ratchet pawls clicking!

Still, I will totally agree that cocking your bow just after you've made a shot will probably do no more to spook deer withing earshot of those two sounds. That seams like logic to me. But, I don't know anout the climbing part. I onced climbed a Blackgum in a VERY deery bottom, right at the peak of our rut. It was right after a rain, and that was the only reason why I was there; I could get in quietly. I got about 18' up without too much ruckus, and when I turned around to pull my bow up I looked out in the woods about 45 yards in front of me and saw something weird. Put my glass on it, and it was a close to/if not Booner buck that looked to be making a rub or sniffing around behind a big Post Oak! He never knew I was there, but he may have been making enough noise of his own that it masked anything I had done.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Another reason I crank mine with out the gear engaged is because with the noise it makes I cannot hear when the string engage and always ended up cranking too far.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

awshucks wrote:Somewhere I read a deer can hear a car door shut at 1/2 mi and a twig the diameter of a pencil break at a 1/4 mi.

Loud is an opinion, lol. :mrgreen:
Yep always fascinates me when I hear that some people fear using their flashlights in the woods. Thinking the light scares or alerts the deer, it's the noise in the way a human walks in the woods that alerts the deer, not the light. Sorry a little off topic.
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

Lake shooter wrote:
Still, I will totally agree that cocking your bow just after you've made a shot will probably do no more to spook deer withing earshot of those two sounds. That seams like logic to me. But, I don't know anout the climbing part.
Well, let me explain it better ... I crank mine to the cocked position after removing it from the case while at my K-Mule, never loading a bolt. Ensure safety is on, walk to my tree, hook my pull cord to the stock away from the safety and trigger, sit the crossbow on the ground and climb my tree. Once I am in the tree, I carefully pull the crossbow up making sue it does not touch anything on the way up. Once securely in my hands I remove the pull cord and load my selected bolt, double checking my safety of course.

See I do not stalk hunt, but I do cock my crossbow before getting to my stand to lessen sound, and just in case I ease up on something I might have a guaranteed shot at. But I do not walk or load a bolt in my crossbow until I am in position to shoot either from the ground or tree stand. Especially since I am shooting 20" Zombie Slayer that stick way out the front of my Matrix. :D

Hope that better explained my process, and btw no offense taken ... I just wanted to explain. Yep, there is a method to my madness. ;)
Assassin 360 Strata
BEA Zombie Slayer - BEA Executioner
Boo/VixenMaster/Xcaliber/NCHunterKW Strings
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Postby Bullzeye » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:38 pm

Another reason I crank mine with out the gear engaged is because with the noise it makes I cannot hear when the string engage and always ended up cranking too far.
X2 on that

It is very difficult to disengage the C2 if you have gone too far. That is the main reason I do not engage the antireverse, so I can hear the trigger latch go down.
I have seen the video of the Mission crank device and it is silent with the antireverse on. Maybe Excalibur can borrow from their technology and add that feature to the C2.
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

XcaliburFX wrote:
Lake shooter wrote:
Still, I will totally agree that cocking your bow just after you've made a shot will probably do no more to spook deer withing earshot of those two sounds. That seams like logic to me. But, I don't know anout the climbing part.
Well, let me explain it better ... I crank mine to the cocked position after removing it from the case while at my K-Mule, never loading a bolt. Ensure safety is on, walk to my tree, hook my pull cord to the stock away from the safety and trigger, sit the crossbow on the ground and climb my tree. Once I am in the tree, I carefully pull the crossbow up making sue it does not touch anything on the way up. Once securely in my hands I remove the pull cord and load my selected bolt, double checking my safety of course.

See I do not stalk hunt, but I do cock my crossbow before getting to my stand to lessen sound, and just in case I ease up on something I might have a guaranteed shot at. But I do not walk or load a bolt in my crossbow until I am in position to shoot either from the ground or tree stand. Especially since I am shooting 20" Zombie Slayer that stick way out the front of my Matrix. :D

Hope that better explained my process, and btw no offense taken ... I just wanted to explain. Yep, there is a method to my madness. ;)
Hey man, I wasn't arguing with you or finding fault, only stating my view on things. I cock mine with the standard string cocker at my vehicle, but do have it loaded on the walk in for the simple reason that I have had rutting bucks walk right across my path when I was just barely in the woods, heading in!!!! :shock:

I remove the bolt and put it back in the quiver before climbing my tree, then "reload" again as soon as I pull it up. Just in case though, the string cocker is always in my pack. 8)
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

I know you were not arguing with me, I just wanted to explain fully what I did. LOL No harm, no foul bro. All is 8)

Vic
Assassin 360 Strata
BEA Zombie Slayer - BEA Executioner
Boo/VixenMaster/Xcaliber/NCHunterKW Strings
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

I think you're biggest risk following a shot is the movement rather than the noise. The challenge of cocking a crossbow using a rope cocker, crankaroo, or by hand will require the same stealth that compound hunters face on each and every shot:)
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Right, and just as with a regular bow or a muzzleloader, that's why you better make that first shot count! :shock: