0.001 vs 0.003 arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flightattendant100

Re: 0.001 vs 0.003 arrows

Post by flightattendant100 »

newbie wrote:I believe i read most of the runout occurs near the ends of the shaft most shafts are sold as 20 or longer so shortening them you may end up with straighter shafts in theory no?
Newbie, a guy at the archery shop years ago showed me to spin shafts before you cut or fletch. Turn shaft end for end and cut off the one that wobbles most. Makes sense.
Lake shooter

Re: 0.01 vs 0.03 arrows

Post by Lake shooter »

xcaliber wrote:When these are sorted at the factory, anything over .001" goes to the .003", anything over that is not sold. Many of the .003" are not that exhibiting that much runout! I have many, many hours shooting both, and I'm not that good of a shot in any conditions to notice a difference.
I beg to differ there friend. Maybe 10 years back I went to my local archery shop to buy some bare shafts. At the time I was shooting Beman Carbons, don't remember the exact type. Anyway, I told the dude behind the counter that I was gonna buy 6 shafts and the other needed accessories to build arrows, but only if he let me spin them and pick my own.

Well, I'm glad I did. I had to work darn hard to find 6 fairly straight shafts out of maybe 2 dozen that he brought out! :shock: Some were so bent that a person with a pretty bad glasses prescription could have seen the wobble, without the glasses!!!! I was fairly shocked..... But sadly not surprised that crap like this was on the market, ESPECIALLY for the price and ll the hype. Alas, hype sells.

I don't know if things are still this way, they may have improved, but I seriously doubt it....

Re: 0.01 vs 0.03 arrows

Post by newbie »

Lake shooter wrote:
xcaliber wrote:When these are sorted at the factory, anything over .001" goes to the .003", anything over that is not sold. Many of the .003" are not that exhibiting that much runout! I have many, many hours shooting both, and I'm not that good of a shot in any conditions to notice a difference.
I beg to differ there friend. Maybe 10 years back I went to my local archery shop to buy some bare shafts. At the time I was shooting Beman Carbons, don't remember the exact type. Anyway, I told the dude behind the counter that I was gonna buy 6 shafts and the other needed accessories to build arrows, but only if he let me spin them and pick my own.

Well, I'm glad I did. I had to work darn hard to find 6 fairly straight shafts out of maybe 2 dozen that he brought out! :shock: Some were so bent that a person with a pretty bad glasses prescription could have seen the wobble, without the glasses!!!! I was fairly shocked..... But sadly not surprised that crap like this was on the market, ESPECIALLY for the price and ll the hype. Alas, hype sells.

I don't know if things are still this way, they may have improved, but I seriously doubt it....
For some companies shafts im sure it has not changed. BEA sorts their shafts hence this topic.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

I'm not arguing here, just asking: How do you know this to be true?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Lake shooter wrote:I'm not arguing here, just asking: How do you know this to be true?
The owner of BEA told me that and I told newbie. I have no reason to not believe him. When I first bough the arrows for the test (BEA was unaware that the arrows were bought for a public test), I measured them and most 0.003" ran well under 0.003" and the 0.001" really were less than 0.003". I started to measure a buch of shafts that I bought later and realized after measuring 50/60 shafts that I was wasting my time.
Apparently the spend a good amount of money on QC and are determined to hold the line. I would like to get my hands on the shafts that have 0.0031" runout!
Last edited by Boo on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes

Post by newbie »

Lake shooter wrote:I'm not arguing here, just asking: How do you know this to be true?
After discussions with Don and Jerry from south shore archery i have complete faith in how they market their shafts as either .001 or .003" straightness. As Don and Dan stated as soon as they are over .001" they sell them as .003" shafts most fall well less then the later.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

so I am going to assume that with all the variables concerned in making and shooting an arrow up to 40 yds there really is no advantage of the .001 Black eagles over the .003....

norm
Boo

Post by Boo »

coolhl wrote:so I am going to assume that with all the variables concerned in making and shooting an arrow up to 40 yds there really is no advantage of the .001 Black eagles over the .003....

norm
Norm, wade through that thread that I posted. I can tell you yes, but when you read past the crap and drama, you see enough to convince yourself. There is one bugaboo and that is that the cost difference between 0.001" and 0.003" is pretty much insignificant.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I ordered a doz BEE's awhile back, 20" length, .001, 92 gr brass inserts, Blazers. 400 gr.

Best arrows I ever shot, all are consistant, shoot extremely well.
"Eze 18:21"
strum

Post by strum »

Boo wrote:
The owner of BEA told me that and I told newbie. I have no reason to not believe him. When I first bough the arrows for the test (BEA was unaware that the arrows were bought for a public test), I measured them and most 0.003" ran well under 0.030" and the 0.001" really were less than 0.003". I started to measure a buch of shafts that I bought later and realized after measuring 50/60 shafts that I was wasting my time.
Apparently the spend a good amount of money on QC and are determined to hold the line. I would like to get my hands on the shafts that have 0.0031" runout!
don is this a typo?..if not im confused
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Boo

Post by Boo »

strum wrote:
Boo wrote:
The owner of BEA told me that and I told newbie. I have no reason to not believe him. When I first bough the arrows for the test (BEA was unaware that the arrows were bought for a public test), I measured them and most 0.003" ran well under 0.030" and the 0.001" really were less than 0.003". I started to measure a buch of shafts that I bought later and realized after measuring 50/60 shafts that I was wasting my time.
don is this a typo?..if not im confused
Yes it was Stan and now edited to correct. Thanks Stan! :D
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Boo wrote:
The owner of BEA told me that and I told newbie. I have no reason to not believe him. When I first bough the arrows for the test (BEA was unaware that the arrows were bought for a public test), I measured them and most 0.003" ran well under 0.003" and the 0.001" really were less than 0.003". I started to measure a buch of shafts that I bought later and realized after measuring 50/60 shafts that I was wasting my time.
Thanks for the clarification. That's the kind of meat and taters info that I like. :wink: