Global Warming

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Lake shooter

Re: Global Warming

Post by Lake shooter »

Ken, that's pretty funny man! :D

Awshucks, where in Arkansas do you live? I've been in Little Rock since 1972, and this the second worst winter I can remember! :oops:

Anthony, you won't hear me bitching about the heat brother! I have a 6,250 square foot vegetable garden that I spend at least 2-4 hours in, at least 5 days a week from about June 1rst until mid September. I'm also self employed as a Sailmaker and have a 40' x 60' metal shop in my back yard, no heat or AC. As long as I have the AC in the home for eating, chilling and sleeping, I'm good. And, that AC is never set lower than 78 in the heat of the summer.

I hate skeeters and get plenty at the garden at certain times, but I'll gladly take the bugs, the heat and humidity over the opposite! 8)
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

vixenmaster wrote:
amythntr wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:A/C whats that ? We gotstid a nice lil 3 speed Fan fer our Summer coolin needs. Be poppin 95-105 here & not my favorite Season. Fall is my Season, n always has been & i have ofton wondered why, :)

....and I would have thought you would have solar powered AC with satellite TV and infrared and heat tracking of deer that notifies you when deer are headed your way so you can walk out to your stand five minutes before they appear and BAM Kong does it's job! .....How silly of me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :mrgreen:
Ha fooled you, no TV lives here. I can't afford enuff batteries nor panels to run even a small A/C. I do have 2 crows n a Jaybird that let me knowed when deer come on my place, :lol: Yes sir they be the best snitches there ever was!
When I'm on stand and hear a Jay light up, I pay close attention. Still hasn't panned out for me, but I'll keep paying attention. :wink:
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Clearly you guys are looking at this whole global warming thing wrong.

Just imagine how much worse this winter would be without global warming. :mrgreen:

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Awshucks, where in Arkansas do you live? I've been in Little Rock since 1972, and this the second worst winter I can remember!
I'm 14 miles out of Mena, 8.5 mi from Ar/Ok border. Been here since 02..Here's a pic of worse times:

I go by when the power goes off and I have to use my generator. Twice now.......The pic wasn't one of them, lol.

Maybe you get harder hit than I do?
"Eze 18:21"
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Time is one big key. You've only had (going on) 13 years of weather to experience, while I have about 42.5.

Too, the geography may change things some just because you're in the mountains. I know that the winters of 09 through 11 were very mild here. Heck, those three years we didn't have a freeze or even a frost past late February - early March!
The last two springs we have had record late freezes of April 15-16!!!! :shock:
Lots of folks lost their maters and such, but not me. I start my own and take good freaking care of them, and after 2013 I'll never put them or anything else that's frost senstive out until the third week of April, even though the traditional "last frost" day for this area is April 10. Last spring I got them in on Easter, and they did great! :D

Fool me once.........
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

The last two springs we have had record late freezes of April 15-16!!!! :shock:
Lots of folks lost their maters and such, but not me. I start my own and take good freaking care of them, and after 2013 I'll never put them or anything else that's frost senstive out until the third week of April, even though the traditional "last frost" day for this area is April 10. Last spring I got them in on Easter, and they did great!
My dear departed Uncle used to tell me, it doesnt matter when you plant 'maters' they won't grow unless the ground temp reaches 50 degrees. Any truth to that?
"Eze 18:21"
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

That's partly true, but that temperature is too low except for the few old Russian heirloom varieties. I grow those too, but they still do better if the ground is at least 60-65 degrees. They are like me: anything under 65 and their feet are always cold, no matter what! :oops:

I've done all of the stuff with water towers, covered beds, you name it. If you plant a mater way early and go through all the PITA to keep it alive through the cold, hoping to get a head start on the season, and then plant the same sized plant after the ground warms up and the days are longer, the two will be the same size by June OR the later planted on will be bigger and healthier because of lack of stress. Some things ya just can't rush... Like wishing a 5 year old rack on a nice 3 year old! :?