New to crossbows and needing guidance

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MI Yeti

Re: New to crossbows and needing guidance

Post by MI Yeti »

J-kid wrote:So I should just pick my preferred magnification and leave it there?
Yes .
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Lol, No. Try it and see what happens...........
"Eze 18:21"
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

awshucks wrote:Lol, No. Try it and see what happens...........
Every adjustable magnification scope i have owned has done it . The wost was a Bushnell legend 3-9x32 that the poi at 50 yards would move 7 inches higher when on 9x and back on when at 3x . Best i had was an older Simmons 44mag 4-12x and it only moved poi 1/2 inch higher at 100 yards. All second focal plane scopes will do it ,some less than others .

That is why it is recommended in most scope manuals to sight in on the highest magnification at the farthest distance you will shoot . The Simmons 44mag was very usable doing this , the bushnell was to far off to be of use unless left on a single power (i left it on 5x).

That is how "speed ring" scopes work. The poi change is calculated by the scope manufacturer . Adjusting it changes the poi of all the aim points .
J-kid

Post by J-kid »

So, for example, the Leupold 2-7x Crossbones won't let you choose magnification? You choose arrow speed and that locks you in to a magnification if you want to use the ballistic reticle? Why does this no effect rifles, or does it at longer ranges?
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The crossbow scope has several chevrons to mark different distances, the magnification, or speed ring, which is the same on these scopes widens, or shortens the distance between the markers. That is what sets you dead on at varying ranges. You can zoom in using the 20 yard crosshair without affecting the accuracy at only 20 yards, you must set the scope back to the setting YOU established based on your arrow weight, and speed. With some scopes having BDC, or the preset Bolt XR from Nikon for crossbows, you must know your arrow speed, then use the chart to accuratly plot your ranges, they are not adjustable, so the third ring down might be 38 yards, or 52 yards depending on your bows speed.

Hope that helps.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
J-kid

Post by J-kid »

Sorry to be so slow to get this but there seems to be contradictions in the advice. So, if I'm only using the single crosshair of a Weaver 1-4 and estimating hold over/under, I can zoom the scope without effecting POA/POI for the single crosshair? If so, it will be more intuitive for me to think 3" high at this range. If this is correct, I'm good to go.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

On the Vari-zone [and all other Excal adj offerings] you sight your xbow in at 20 yds. When you change the power setting, aka 'speed' ring, the distances change on the aim points other than 20 yds. [gimme a break here, Yeti]

You can adj your scope several ways [Excal]. For your Weaver, just sight the top duplex change for 20 at any power setting, then try the crosshairs at 30. Fiddle w/ the power setting until you get it 'on' at both ranges. Should be near 3x. Then, try the bottom duplex change at 40.

The other method is to sight in the top at 20, then shoot at a farther range, [using 20 yd aim point]peer thru the scope while fiddling w/ adj wheel til the aim point you want is on the arrow you just shot.

Clear as mud? Get 10 posts and we can pm each other, lol.......... :mrgreen:
J-kid

Post by J-kid »

I actually understand that awshucks. Duplex reticle size changes with magnification and the second method is similar to sighting in a rifle with one shot.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yes, a single reticle type scope can be zoomed without changing poi!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Right in line with what you're talking about, I have a Luepold 3-9×40 on my M380. I can use the 9× at 100yards-110yards but my poi is different using the high magnification at closer yardages. I couldn't figure it out so I called Luepold. The tech told me the paralax setting on my scope was set at 150yards so the closer I was to that range the more accurate the higher magnification would be. Likewise, the more pronounced the paralax would be at closer range with higher magnification hence the change in poi. For crossbow use he suggested the lower power. I'm set at about 3 1/2 power and that works with the hash marks should I not have time to dial in my HHA Optimizer.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

awshucks wrote:On the Vari-zone [and all other Excal adj offerings] you sight your xbow in at 20 yds. When you change the power setting, aka 'speed' ring, the distances change on the aim points other than 20 yds. [gimme a break here, Yeti]

You can adj your scope several ways [Excal]. For your Weaver, just sight the top duplex change for 20 at any power setting, then try the crosshairs at 30. Fiddle w/ the power setting until you get it 'on' at both ranges. Should be near 3x. Then, try the bottom duplex change at 40.

The other method is to sight in the top at 20, then shoot at a farther range, [using 20 yd aim point]peer thru the scope while fiddling w/ adj wheel til the aim point you want is on the arrow you just shot.

Clear as mud? Get 10 posts and we can pm each other, lol.......... :mrgreen:
With a varizone or similar scope the crosshairs poi will move in relation to the other aim points . Maybe not enough to notice at 20 yards but it will move . As distance increases so dose the amount of poi shift , that is what makes the varizone type scopes work . The hold over points do not adjust separately from the center crosshair. The same way the other aim points move poi as magnification increases/decreases so dose the center crosshair .
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

If you were not confused before, you should be now! :lol: I change the magnification on my Nikon scope that is mounted on my Muzzle Loader all the time, and it is dead on. Now, i only shoot out to 125 yards, but it is a bit longer than i would shoot a crossbow.
Good Luck, have fun, and be safe!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

The hold over points do not adjust separately from the center crosshair.
Sorry, disagree and I've owned a bunch of Excal scopes. On a V-zone, the power setting [speed ring] has nada to do w/ anything, set it at 2.5x or 4x and it will hit center at 20 yds. Move the ring, still hits poi. I don't know or care about further ranges, that's what the chevrons are for. How would you explain the V-zone working at 30-50 yds otherwise? A guy w/ a Vixen can use it just like I did on my Emax...... :mrgreen:

The OP can check his Weaver by looking thru it and changing the power, if the space between the duplex start and end changes, he's good to go if his xbow is not too fast
J-kid

Post by J-kid »

Ha ha! The replies are confusing and contradictory, yet, I do think I have assimilated them to a point that I understand.
1. My single crosshair scope will work.
2. I can change magnification and it should still be on, however, I'll need to experiment to confirm due to parallax etc. It probably won't be an issue under 30 yards.
3. A dedicated crossbow scope uses the magnification adjustment to set the chevron marks for specific distances based on arrow speed.
4. Changing magnification will mess up the chevrons but not the center crosshair.
5. I knew I got that Ph.D. For some reason!

Thanks to all. Once the snow melts and get to practice I'm certain I'll be back with more questions.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

By George, you got it! I think you'll do very well! :wink: