New to crossbows and needing guidance

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

awshucks

Re: New to crossbows and needing guidance

Post by awshucks »

Yes, you have it!! Parallax can be defeated w/ same cheek weld every shot, but you won't notice much in your Weaver.

Also, there's no guarantee what yardages will be 'on' w/ top duplex at 20 yds. You'll have to fiddle a bit. The trick to setting a V-zone is the closer you get to nirvana, the smaller your speed ring or power setting turning wants to be.

I'd look on the Trading Post and pick up a used V-zone [lifetime warranty]

Mt. Yeti.........enjoyed the discussion very much, you are a scholar and a gentleman!
"Eze 18:21"
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

awshucks wrote:Yes, you have it!! Parallax can be defeated w/ same cheek weld every shot, but you won't notice much in your Weaver.

Also, there's no guarantee what yardages will be 'on' w/ top duplex at 20 yds. You'll have to fiddle a bit. The trick to setting a V-zone is the closer you get to nirvana, the smaller your speed ring or power setting turning wants to be.

I'd look on the Trading Post and pick up a used V-zone [lifetime warranty]

Mt. Yeti.........enjoyed the discussion very much, you are a scholar and a gentleman!
If you want to insult me send a pm. Please do not post sarcastic insults on the open forum . The information is only a google search away ...
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

If you want to insult me send a pm. Please do not post sarcastic insults on the open forum . The information is only a google search away ...
I meant it as a compliment, sorry. We just disagree.......
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

No worries , I misunderstood . It seemed overly nice so I assumed it was meant sarcastically . To much time on other forums were people jump right to name calling etc . My apologies .
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

No problems..........I don't understand focal planes but I know what a google search will show on V-zones, lol.

I've had 5-7 of them over the years. They do what they say they will do.

They are not good for target shooting, the duplexes merge into the vert line ambiguosly leaving lot's of shooters choices for 'on'.

Hard to beat them for hunting though. I just checked the Trading Post, there was one there for $60 w/ rings.

It's all good........... :mrgreen:
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

I was using the vari-zone as an example of how second focal plane scopes work . It is hard to explain without showing how the two scopes work side by side .

Second focal plane scopes magnify the target and not the reticle .The reticle stays the same size as the target decreases or increases in size . Causing poi or I should say point of aim changes . The better scopes leupold and the like are not as affected buy this as lower quality scopes ,but still are . The change in point of aim is how "speed ring" scopes compensate for the drop of crossbow arrows .

With a first focal plane scope the target and the reticle are both magnified .The reticle will get larger or smaller along with the target . It keeps the point of aim consistent .

The OP had asked about using a standard rifle scope and changing magnification . I was trying to say that the point of aim will shift with a decrease or increase of magnification . A good idea is to check your scope at the ranges you will hunt and test if the magnification moves the point of aim any , or enough to matter for what your are hunting .

If I don't make sense I'm sorry ,I am not the best at explaining things .
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Try this.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
wabi

Post by wabi »

OK - I'm talking single reticle rifle scope here!
You sight in at a yardage of your selection and the crosshair is always zeroed at that range no mater where the power setting is!
Sight in for 20 yards and it will be zeroed at 20 on 1X or 4X.

Now if it has a duplex reticle, you can play around with the power setting and use the duplex posts for other yardages. :wink:
I use a Leupold 1-4X on my Phoenix and sight in at 25 yards. For deer hunting I can use the crosshair for any deer from 0-30 yards. The shot may be a couple inches high or low depending on the range, but it's still going to be meat in the freezer! :D

If I really want to fine-tune the shot I can use the duplex "posts" for a 15 or 35 yard zero. (for my scope/arrow speed about 2X to zero it)
wabi