Going Grouse Hunting/Firearms Law discussion

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RichardS

Going Grouse Hunting/Firearms Law discussion

Post by RichardS »

Im heading up to a friends hunt camp to do some grouse/partridge hunting. Its located north of Bancroft in Maynooth. I have never hunted birds so any suggestions would be appreciated!

I plan on using #7 shot. Is that sound right?

Also, any shell suggestions?

Thanks!
Last edited by RichardS on Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Richard-
devilsedge

Post by devilsedge »

You have to use steel shot, for geese I would sugest 3" #2 or bb
shoot straight stay late.
wabi

Post by wabi »

For the ruffed grouse we have in Ohio I use 7 1/2s. Just remember the basic rules for shooting grouse:
1 - they are easier to hit in the pre-flight position (doesn't that sound better than "ground sluicing them" :lol:
2 - don't aim where they are, aim at where they're going to be!

Good luck & enjoy the hunt!
wabi
skeeter

Post by skeeter »

I use lead 7 1/2's with a improved cylinder choke.Most shooting is close and dosn't take a lot of shot to knock one down.Exspect some fast wing shooting.Good luck.skeeter

Post by Guest »

7 1/2s now and number 6 shot for later in the season.
You guys must still have pretty much full foliage don't you? Early season grouse tends to be fruitless here, unless you've got a good bird dog.

You just can't see them until some leaves are on the ground. Their thunderous flush followed by a fleeting glimpse is about all you'll get.

But that said, I think grouse is the finest eating game there is. PERIOD! :)
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Very fast birds. They can hear you pull the trigger and change their flight direction :wink: . Small shot and a wide open choke is the best approach. Don't feel bad about shooting them before they fly, just add another tick mark to the successful stalking sheet :lol: .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

Where Im going the trees are mostly jack pine so its mostly needles on the ground. We also might check out the old logging trails.

Thanks for the help once again guys.
-Richard-
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Carl from Vermont wrote: But that said, I think grouse is the finest eating game there is. PERIOD! :)
Concur!
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

That's great your going upland hunting. I assume when you say Partridge, its Hungarian Partridge, and when you say grouse its Ruffled Grouse.

We have both of those here, and they are fantastic to eat. Both my wife and kids just love them. We just roll them in flour, salt and pepper, then fry them in butter.

To hunt Ruffies, I use #7 1/2 shot, with a sawed off shotgun, and a pistol grip, its so light that I can move brush aside with one hand and hold the gun with ease with the other. I find the best hunting is done in the early season when all the leaves are still green, for two reasons. First before the frost comes, there's still snowberries close to the ground, which makes the meat taste sweeter and better. Secondly and most important, the birds aren't half as scared or wild, as they are when there's no foilage to hide them. The trick is to walk in thick underbrush, (any berry bushes) and listen very closely for clucks or them walking on dry leaves or debris. I'm not sure what the birds are like there, but here in the early season if done right you can walk almost right up on them, there not spooky. But come late Oct., you need a good full length shotgun, full choke. Another fun and challenging method I use, is I take my pellet gun and walk slowly down a dirt road with berry bushes on both sides and listen very closely for clucking sounds and them walking on dry matter. I've taken many birds with my Diana pellet gun. Its quite, safe and lots of fun.

There's also a third method I use, its called chicken crap hunting, but I just love doing it. A couple of buddies and myself, load up our ATV's head up north to the big forest, drop off the quads, and just ride all day long, shooting birds on the trails. While were there we scout for moose, and generally one or two guys have deer licenses, and watch for decent bucks. I never shot a deer from the Quad and likely never will, I'd rather wait till rifle season and still hunt them by walking slowly through the bush.

Grey Owl
Last edited by GREY OWL on Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

RichardS wrote:Where Im going the trees are mostly jack pine so its mostly needles on the ground. We also might check out the old logging trails.

Thanks for the help once again guys.

Where I hunt, I almost always find them in extremely thick (almost impenetrable), early- successional forest growth.
jackpine

Post by jackpine »

Gooday,

All suggestions so far are very accurate. Other comments or suggestions I think may help are get out there early. You have a good chance of seeing them moving from 7:30ish till 10 when they seem to be feeding and then hitting to roads to eat gravel to help digest theif food and hopefully catch a little early morning sun to warm them up a bit. Action dies down in the middle of they day but picks up again from supper till sunset.

If you have a dog bring it. Grouse tend not to fly to far if spooked by a dog and chances are it will be sitting in a tree not too far away. They must think it's a fox or something and know that it can't hurt them while perched in a tree. A trained dog is much better for sure though, I have a buddy who's dog will go find the bird that was flushed and sit at the base of the tree and wait for his owner to come and shoot the bird.

Good Luck, be careful and have fun.

Jackpine
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

Thanks everyone for the tips. I will be heading up on the 24th and coming home the 26th. Ill let you all know how it went.

Thanks again!
-Richard-
Dunrobin

Looking forward to your report

Post by Dunrobin »

I hunt deer in that area with a bunch of guys in November. I always thought about bringing my 410 out for grouse. It would be great to hear your post-hunt report! Good Luck...
Allan

Post by Allan »

Grey Owl,

Are you serious about your hunting techniques?

In Ontario

1- A sawed off shot gun is illegal to hunt with and posess

2- hunting from a vehicle is illegal
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

Allan I beleive you can cutt down the barrel length to 18.5 inches and still be legal. As fpor hunting from a vechicle it can sort of be done by getting out or off and than loading your gun for the shot. Its not how I hunt but that would be legal.
-Richard-